Cell phone fell in water

70RT

I have a razor cell phone and droped in water now it will not come on at all. Anybody know what I can do if anything to dry it out or get it to work. Can the cell phone people tell if it has been in water ? Any help out there.....:eek:

If you didn't pony up for the insurance get ready to buy another. Generally inside the phone is a 'tattletail' that is activated when it gets wet. You can try but I've not been able to get a wet one replaced.

if it(any electronics for that matter) ever gets wet,take out the battery in a hurry and dont reinstall until its completely dried out ( a couple of days) look in the battery area for a little dot sticker....it turns red when it gets wet:eek:

You want to dry out it completely as well. I have an old gas stove and stuck it above the pilot light. Most of the time they are toast and cell phone have water mark stickers. My wife drop her cell phone in a toilet that was flushed and it got caught in the toilet trap. The toiler was remove but it took a while before plumbing snake was used to remove it (happen on thanksgiving). We dried it out for a day and half on the pilot light and it works. The only thing that doesn't work is the up button.

Thanks for all the comments about my phone. I have it plugged in on charge right now but still nothing. There is a dot on the inside of the bat. case and it is red and I thought it was blue,,, thanks again

Thanks for all the comments about my phone. I have it plugged in on charge right now but still nothing. There is a dot on the inside of the bat. case and it is red and I thought it was blue,,, thanks again

You got it wet and your still applying power. :eek: :eek:

YOu can write that one off for sure. Yes the red dot is a dead giveaway, and even if you try to remove it there are more hidden inside the phone.

Trust me, I do this for a living. It's done for. Especially if it was powered on when it got wet. Water and active electronics do not play well together.

Think of it this way. Turn your radio on in the house, drag the garden hose in and spray it full while it's powered on. :eek: ;)

Just save the battery, cover and anything else you can remove easily and throw it away. If you dont have insurance its useless. The phone is shot. Once the little sticker is red they wont do a warranty on it.

And...

The chlorine in the water will destroy the PCB even if it did power on and work. Just a matter of time before it would fail again. Sorry.

I really don't care for my razr V3. I plan on switching back to a smartphone real soon. You may want to look into other phone options as well.

You can scrape the dot off and try your luck. I had the manager of a wireless store do that for me. I came in with a legitimate claim and they wouldn't honor it because the dot was red. I have no frickin' idea how the dot got red. The phone was in my possession the entire time. Never got wet. The problem turned out to be software related. But anyway, when I bitched enough the manager pulled me to the corner of the store and explained to me as he scraped the dot off that 'sometimes they don't have dots...." and they replaced the phone.

I can tell you one thing for sure. Red wine dumped all over a laptop = instant death. Happened last night and it was immediate lights out. I need to find someone who can pull stuff off of a hard drive (all I could salvage).

Jim

tracfone.jpg

I think iam done with the phone...............the dot is red so I am going to take it off and see what I can do..........thanks all for your responces...................

If under warranty still you can always have them send you a replacement phone and then take it all apart, not just the battery but the covers and board and swap all the reds dots off and replace them with the white good ones from the new phone before sending the bad one back :D

Cover it in a bowl of uncooked rice for a day..I've been told the rice will draw out the moisture....

Cover it in a bowl of uncooked rice for a day..I've been told the rice will draw out the moisture....

Probably the best advice so far. I know its too late now but next time , Do not reinstall the battery till dry. dry is the key. Good luck next time.

Craig

You can scrape the dot off and try your luck. I had the manager of a wireless store do that for me. I came in with a legitimate claim and they wouldn't honor it because the dot was red. I have no frickin' idea how the dot got red. The phone was in my possession the entire time. Never got wet. The problem turned out to be software related. But anyway, when I bitched enough the manager pulled me to the corner of the store and explained to me as he scraped the dot off that 'sometimes they don't have dots...." and they replaced the phone.

I can tell you one thing for sure. Red wine dumped all over a laptop = instant death. Happened last night and it was immediate lights out. I need to find someone who can pull stuff off of a hard drive (all I could salvage).

Jim

On our last vacation to the beach, my niece spilled (poured) a 1/2 pint of milk into my Gateway laptop while she was watching a dvd. It immediately went to that dreaded "blue screen."
I turned it upside down while it was opened, let all the milk drip out and left it open and upside down for 3 days. It recovered just fine and didn't lose any data, although it did stink for a couple of weeks.;)
Give it a few days and maybe it will be OK. Otherwise, hope you used a backup hard drive or you're screwed!:eek:

Oh, and by the way, Razors don't do well after being washed in a washing machine either!:(

For your laptop issue, spilling liquid should not affect the harddrive at all, its a self contained unit usually on the bottom of most laptops. It may have fried the rest of the electronics, but remove the HD, and then either find another laptop of the same model and swap HDs and then copy the data onto an external drive...otherwise you can take it to Best Buy or Circuit City or other computer dealer and they should be able to copy the data off of it...Comp USA used to this for our office....but now when we order laptops we always order a spare for back up or situations like this.

Better than dropping it in the used-oil bucket, don't ask how I know.

I know what you mean. I've had a big coffee can of trans oil underneath my workbench for 2 years. I don't know why I don't just dispose of it, but whatever. No matter where I am standing in the room, if I drop something it heads right for that can o' fluid. It's uncanny (pun intended).

2QUIK6 said:
For your laptop issue, spilling liquid should not affect the harddrive at all, its a self contained unit usually on the bottom of most laptops. It may have fried the rest of the electronics, but remove the HD, and then either find another laptop of the same model and swap HDs and then copy the data onto an external drive...otherwise you can take it to Best Buy or Circuit City or other computer dealer and they should be able to copy the data off of it...Comp USA used to this for our office....but now when we order laptops we always order a spare for back up or situations like this.

Thanks. I yanked the drive out of it as soon as my wife informed me of the mishap. It's hard to believe, but it had wine on it. I don't know how well they're sealed but I know someone with the same model (Dell Inspiron 8500) and I have a portable DVD burner so I'm going to try what you suggested. The machine itself is totally dead. Every once in a while I plug it in but it's dead. Not even the little green light when you plug in the power supply. It had a new battery, too, which I'll donate to my bud if he can help me out.

It was a good machine. It was 5-years old and I was thinking about replacing it, but I'd have preferred to have it live out its retirement as a DirectScan laptop in the Buick rather than die from alcohol poisoning. Oh well......new Dell on the way.

Jim

If under warranty still you can always have them send you a replacement phone and then take it all apart, not just the battery but the covers and board and swap all the reds dots off and replace them with the white good ones from the new phone before sending the bad one back :D

There is NO warranty when liquid damage has occured. Doesn't matter if it's only a week old. And when it comes to razors (the worst piece of crap Mot plagued us with), you'll never get all the litmus papers replaced.

My cell phone went through the washing machine while on. Removed battery and set it in the window on a sunny day and it came back to life.