Carnage........Whats your take?

The discussion in this thread raises some questions on fretting. But instead of hi-jacking this thread i will start another.
But a comment on the carnage DAMN and i thought we tore shit up.

Damm.. I had a motor here that just blew itself apart with NO KNOCK.. Took the trans with it. Low 11 Trans am. Was out "testing" @ 1:00 AM an was at the top of 2nd gear.. Just threw another motor in it and chauked it up to "sooner or later the stock stuff will say it's had enuff" :p

Balancer broke, crank went into a "speed wobble"?? The rest is history. I'm betting this didn't happen "just driving along".
Broken balancers are not uncommon. Bal loose, then cracked, knocked timing out of whack??
I concur- balancer was the start of this apocalyse.

What does the keyway on the crank look like? The balancer looks like its beat open like it was loose.I cant see it doing this kind of damage.My buddy drove a mustang for 150 miles with a seperated balancer and It didnt do any damage except for the timing cover. Have to see the bearings. Doesnt look like anything starved for oil. Nothing blue from what I see. That sucks .

All the 4.1's I've seen had rolled fillet crankshafts not the standard N/A cranks without rolled fillets on the rod journals.

Neal

Right, the crank was turbo crank but what I was saying is the motor was a regular 4.1 that was ran with a carb (N/A) prior to this build.

What does the keyway on the crank look like? The balancer looks like its beat open like it was loose.I cant see it doing this kind of damage.My buddy drove a mustang for 150 miles with a seperated balancer and It didnt do any damage except for the timing cover. Have to see the bearings. Doesnt look like anything starved for oil. Nothing blue from what I see. That sucks .

I'll have to get Austin to snap more pics of different areas on the motor.

What a mess...sorry to learn of Austin's bad luck. I would assume a "resurrection" is planned?

Yeah, you know we will get it back together. Not sure what he's going to do now. I think he's scared of the 4.1 now so he'll probably go with a 109. Either motor wont last when it's untuned though.

Right, the crank was turbo crank but what I was saying is the motor was a regular 4.1 that was ran with a carb (N/A) prior to this build.

I re-read what you originally posted and I thought that's what you meant. Sorry for the confusion.

Neal

Yeah, you know we will get it back together. Not sure what he's going to do now. I think he's scared of the 4.1 now so he'll probably go with a 109. Either motor wont last when it's untuned though.

With the power potential he had, I would have used a dampener, forged pistons and like Nick said, steel crank.

Going to agree with Bryesh here. A better photography of the failure faces would help, but judging from what I can see, looks like crack propagation most likely a cyclical fatigue failure.

The hub damage is most likely a result of the initial failure and not the initial cause.

Here's a small step: I turned a 200-4r core into a replacement trans case for Austin today. Now I just gotta get it to him.

0126131640.jpg
0126131804.jpg
0126131804a.jpg

Hell if we want to really put it back together "Austin Style", I got this 4.1 block with cracks in the deck and turbonuts has some used hyper pistons. Might even talk me out of a turbo crank, hell there's his shortblock for like $300 LOL.

Looks like "Tater Salad!" Also seems that Austin might have gotten his left foot stuck on top of his right one and didn't realize it until it went.......KAAAABOOM! You guys have a little less than 5 months to get that chit sorted out for 2013 POWER TOUR!

Did this motor run a Intake pressure equaling Power Plate,or was all the PSI forced down the rear two cylinders the whole time?

HelloBozos said:
Did this motor run a Intake pressure equaling Power Plate,or was all the PSI forced down the rear two cylinders the whole time?

You are misunderstanding the effect of the plate. The fastest of the fast don't run plates.

Usually the front leans out:p

Brian is right. This is something I mentioned over on the other board 10 or so years ago and got ridiculed for. This is based on actual dyno results by Kenny Duttweiler. It's true that the back 2 cylinders get the most airflow due to the stock intake manifold design but they also receive the most fuel flow due to the stock fuel rail design. The front 2 cylinders run leanest.

Neal