Car not pulling enough RPM...

blackshoebox

Staff member
Was racing at Bradenton this weekend, and had a shift light in the car for the first time, which was pilled for 5400, and realized the car was not pulling that high in the rpm range. It would literally fall on its face around 5000-5100 rpm from what I could tell. Is this most likely a valve spring problem as most suggested?? The valve springs have 35,000 miles on them, and some of those miles are hard driven, racing miles. I have a 208/201 flat tapet cam, along with ported Irons, TE-44 with a PTE .63 housing, and a 2800 12inch converter along with all the neccesary fuel upgrades and a PTE FM IC. I was running 28 tall slicks this weekend to keep the car spining past 5400 at the top of the traps, but it appears I was never getting to 5400 at the top of the traps anyway.:mad:

The car had gone 118 previously, on the same exact tune, and only could muster a 115 on the first pass off the trailer, and then it progressively got worse, all the way down to 112, which seemed like the car was struggling to pull through the RPM range for the amount boost.

I would say try the vavlve springs. However, you may want to look at your spark plugs to. My car used to stop pulling when there wasn't enough spark. I closed the gap and things improved.

More likely the springs though.

Good luck,

Jason

Don't forget.......there was a pretty strong wind. 10 to 15 mph, blowing right in your face, yesterday. Had to be a factor to slow you down both in et and MPH.

It has nothing to do with bad valvesprings and the $hitty headwind. It's the extra resistance with your front mount and the drag of your slicks. Since I'm such a considerate guy, I'll trade my stock IC with neck and stock GN rims with Yokohamas for your stuff. That'll make you go 10's all day long. I promise. :D