capacitor choices

mark b

any feedback on a good brand of 1 farad cap? I don't want something cheap or best-in-class, just good . I see literally hundreds on ebay and wasn't sure if that was a good route to go or stick with Crutchfield, carstereo.com, etc. and names like Rockford, Lightning Audio, etc.

thanks in advance!

stif. caps advice

stiffining caps (aka caps)....hmmmm...heres some good advice; caps are used to quickly deliver the power an amp needs quickly to help reduce the chance of voltage drop.many stereo shops (myself inclued at first)recommend these.but lets look at some simple physics.if you dont have an upgraded electrical system that can quickly recharge a cap as quickly as it discharges i believe you are only adding to a existing problem(headlamps dimming to the bass,etc.)spend that money on a OPTIMA battery. if you need more power, rebuild your alt.to put out more.then if you need more , get the cap because your elec. system can now support it... hope this helps...just go with a cap with a brand name you have heard of and familiar with. built in led volt readout in the cap is nice to have also..

My concern was the alternator. It's just a Chevy Lumina and I don't believe I can get that alternator up to 200 amps like my Buick. Hence the caps question. I totally agree with what you said!

yeah...spend $ on a battery first. You can get an Alt. that big for a Lumina...check with Ohio Generator or Iraggi Alitenators.

great info, thanks! I didn't realize any better alternator was available except for whatever stuff Pep Boys or Autozone had. I knew I could take it to a rebuilder and beef it up but I didn't know if I could get a significant amp increase.

I never cared for caps. I always suggested and used, 1 a good battery, 2 upgraded alternator and if you needed more, 3 add more batteries.

The only way I've ever had caps truly make a difference was last year when I ran an Alumapro 15 farad cap on a system that only had a max current draw of 80 amps. Can you say overkill? LOL. The down side to caps that big is that they use PAC 200 relays to charge and discharge. The way they work is that your battery will be hit for the fuse value when you turn the stereo on. Hard on a Optima 800cca...trust me.