can't get my laptop to connect

steve davis

quick 86
my laptop won't connect to my xfi.i have tried everything,com 1,com2 ,diffrent usb cable,unistall both fast,and driver,re-install.never had this problem before,help

The serial port is probably disabled in the bios. Check that out on start up ususally press f1 key.

There is a battery in most laptops that saves settings like the date and time and other settings. If this battery dies, it goes to a default mode and sometimes the port gets shut off, even though windows sees thats its there. The set up screen can only be seen by pressing a cetain key usually f1 while booting the computer before windows starts.

port3 will alway give you a differant error code. Don't let that confuse you into assuming it's the right port. Are you using the FAST USB adaptor?

yes it is.my laptop crashed a couple of weeks ago ,and i reprogramed it .now no connect.never had this problem before cal

If you're getting ECU Not Found or Incompatible Device the problem isn't with the serial port. It's communicating with the PC but not with the ECU. Mine does the same thing but I don't know why. I need to change COM ports at random to get it to connect. I have 5 USB ports on my laptop that are numbered COM 3 through 7 when Windoze recognizes the USB adapter. They all have worked at some point, and all decide not to work at random so I have to switch once in a while.

As long as you're not getting a COM port error when you try to connect, you can try changing up the sequence of events when you try to connect. It's very random but it works for me. For example, if you plugged in the USB adapter, than launched CCOM, then turned on the key and that doesn't work, do those things in a different order. I've found that leaving the USB plugged in and CCOM open and just turning the key off then back on allows it to connect. I don't know if the problem is the CCOM software or Windoze but I have a helluva time connecting once in a while.

Good luck.

Jim

With problems like this, I usually try and handle it over the phone. A 5 minute call can be a lot less time consuming than posting back and forth. Do you have anyone local who is real computer literate? They don't have to know anything about XFI. If not, I would suggest contacting your vendor.

Have you gotten it sorted out, yet? If not, give FAST or myself a call tomorrow.

still haven't got it to hook up yet.called fast and they could'nt help.help

Maybe try a different laptop to see whether the problem lies with the PC or the ECU? Connections tight and clean (at the ECU, the serial-usb adapter and at the PC)? Maybe try another serial-USB adapter?

Like I said before, I have trouble once in a while too. It's totally random. Sometimes it connects immediately, sometimes it take 15 minutes of farting around with it. Usually the best method that works for me is leaving the CCOM software open and powering the ECU on and off with the key (engine off). It will say "Incompatible Device" or "ECU Not Found" many, many times before it will decide to connect. Once connected, you can start the car without losing the connection.

Jim

With key on. and laptop powered on, plug in the usb cable.

Right click My Computer

click Hardware tab

click Device Manger button

click on + sign next to Ports(com & lpt)

is the fast shown there? what port?

Can you configure fast software to match that port number?