can you install roller without headwork

silver/black

can you install roller without having head work if lift is stock lift or .... for someone that may want to upgrade to roller without breaking stock head seal

you have to change the springs and you would need roller with low enough lift that wouldnt hit the stock exhaust guide ,

Last edited:
You could do it. Just need low lobe lift to keep valve lift low enough as pace car mentioned.

Depends on how much lift! The Guides need to be milled down. Especially the Exhausts.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I see several decent lobes that will work without altering the heads.

If dont get whats being discussed here. Is he talking about installing a roller cam kit?

I hope I don't need to do any head work with my 212/212 cam kit I just picked up.

from my limited knowledge you will have to head work done. that is why i asked about any way to do it without.
edited post changed what may have been something to consider. still would be cool if someone posted that they did it and it worked

Don't expect any 'you need to cut this much' answers from a message board on this one. Measure, measure measure, then cut.

This is one of those times where you need to mock up the exact valve, guide, seal, etc and see how much room you have relative to total lift. Then cut accordingly.

If anyone says you need to 'cut "X" from where you start", ignore them now and forever. If anyone says 'This cam will clear with no mods' see my previous statement.

usually a roller cam has a much more aggressive cam lobe, your stock springs would NOT hold the valve closed at any kind of rpm.
I would expect you would get valve float at 4000 rpm or so. (never tried it, so don't really know)
do it right, and mod the heads to take advantage of the roller cam.

If you want a roller cam and springs that will work without altering the heads contact me.

What kind of hp can be had going from a stock cam to a roller that will fit without altering the heads? Isn't the flow through an unported head the limiting factor with more cam?

I wouldn't expect any power unless the boost was high enough to get the engine rpm up over 5000rpm. The reason for changing would be reliability.

I just wanted to change to make the car sound mean and be reliable, I hoped it would help a little since my heads won't be ported for now... This sucks to hear now, I feel like shouldnt this be a sticky? Or maybe I missed the sticky with this info.

So I read that the exhaust valves don't have valve seals in stock form, and apparently the kit wants you to install valve seals for both intake and exhaust.... So since I won't be installing valve seals let alone in the exhaust valves, will it still clear, does anyone know? Or is this a bad idea?

Last edited:
By 'sounding mean' do you mean loping like a V8 with too much cam? If so, don't bother. Those types of cams really don't belong in a street car.