Can someone please make a Sumped Stainless tank?

jdpolzin

I have done enough research to figure that it's not safe to run E85 on a bare aluminum tank, needs to be anodized to be safe. So, the aluminum tanks are out of the question. Can someone please make a stainless tank, baffled, -12 and -8 fittings, and uses the stock fuel sending unit? I think it would be a great product. Most people dont like the big ones that hang low out of the back of the car so if it pretty much modeled the stock tank, aside from being square, that would be great.

Rick's Hot Rod Shop has a sumped and baffled Stainless Tank for us, but it's going to cost you around $850 if I remember correctly.

Maybe they can do a twin Bosch 044 intank or something similar. If my GN ever gets running right and made tons of power, I'd go this route. I already have one of my E85 GTO from them and it's sweet.

I have done enough research to figure that it's not safe to run E85 on a bare aluminum tank, needs to be anodized to be safe. So, the aluminum tanks are out of the question. Can someone please make a stainless tank, baffled, -12 and -8 fittings, and uses the stock fuel sending unit? I think it would be a great product. Most people dont like the big ones that hang low out of the back of the car so if it pretty much modeled the stock tank, aside from being square, that would be great.

Could you modify a stock tank with the new aeromotive sump?
It has the pump and filter built into it and looks like it could be an option.

Here is the link:

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/products.php?prod=267

John, have you seen one of these in person? Once you weld the sump on, can you access the pump and filter for service without cutting it back off? How far does it stick down? Like John said, one issue many people have with sumping a stock tank is how far down it will hang. HP wise the pump looks great, rated for 1400 hp efi non-normally aspirated.

Sumping a stock tank is bad. You need to recoat it inside and that wont even last if you use race fuel.

We could build a stainless tank with baffles. It wouldnt be cheap tho.

John, have you seen one of these in person? Once you weld the sump on, can you access the pump and filter for service without cutting it back off? How far does it stick down? Like John said, one issue many people have with sumping a stock tank is how far down it will hang. HP wise the pump looks great, rated for 1400 hp efi non-normally aspirated.
Read the description/ do a search .... That stealth system is IMO one of the best ideas out... Makes changing filters / pumps a breeze ....if you got the chee$$$e:eek: :biggrin:

Read the description/ do a search .... That stealth system is IMO one of the best ideas out... Makes changing filters / pumps a breeze ....if you got the chee$$$e:eek: :biggrin:

Once again.. welding a sump on a stock tank is a bad idea. The tanks are lined on the inside to protect against rust and welding on them burns that off. You can reline them but every treatment I ever found only went up to like 105 octane or something. Might hold up to more... but if you dont reline it, youre just going to end up with a gas tank full of rust before long.

Once again.. welding a sump on a stock tank is a bad idea. The tanks are lined on the inside to protect against rust and welding on them burns that off. You can reline them but every treatment I ever found only went up to like 105 octane or something. Might hold up to more... but if you dont reline it, youre just going to end up with a gas tank full of rust before long.

Jay - sorry i wasnt referring to adding to an stock tank but rather talking about the design of the stealth system itself

Jay - sorry i wasnt referring to adding to an stock tank but rather talking about the design of the stealth system itself

I agree its sweet. Its just a shame it requires putting it into a steel tank. Stainless of an aluminum tank, it would be awesome.

Well I personally think the $850 price tag on that stainless tank is rediculous but some people will pay it I'm sure. I got a quote for $425 from a local shop here in town. Not real sure how reputable the shop is because I just went through the phone book.

Jay, what would you shoot for a quote on one? Thanks! ----Jeremy

Well I personally think the $850 price tag on that stainless tank is rediculous but some people will pay it I'm sure. I got a quote for $425 from a local shop here in town. Not real sure how reputable the shop is because I just went through the phone book.

Jay, what would you shoot for a quote on one? Thanks! ----Jeremy

I dont think we could do it for that price. There's a LOT of welding involved, specially if youre going to use baffling inside. If you can find someone to do it for $425, Id jump on it.

I agree its sweet. Its just a shame it requires putting it into a steel tank. Stainless of an aluminum tank, it would be awesome.

Maybe you could talk to the owner.
He seems to be a cool dude and runs Duttweiler Power.
Big Wood might be able to help them into the Buick Market...

Ya getting a Stainless/Sumped/Baffled tank with the proper form and straps is not going to be cheap. BTW, I looked up my receipt and it was $850 shipped so that's probably $50 to ship and I wasn't aware of anyone making something like this for my 69 GTO.

If someone does one at a 15 gallon capacity with the float level and drain for less than $800, please PM me, I'll keep their info for future use.

Could be wrong, but I thought Brian @ GbodyParts.com was either working on them or had them avail. Rings a bell :) Worth checking into I guess.

I dont think we could do it for that price. There's a LOT of welding involved, specially if youre going to use baffling inside. If you can find someone to do it for $425, Id jump on it.

Just got off the phone with this place, price quoted was not with a baffle. With a baffle added another $100. I personally would rather have another TB vendor make them.

Actually, you can use an aluminum tank with E85 (ethanol). Methanol, on the other hand, is definitely not compatible with aluminum! Guys running E85 with aluminum fuel pressure regulators, aluminum fuel rails, aluminum fuel pumps, etc with no problems. Check out the "E85" section!
Hot Air

Right, BUT...... E-85 is only safe in anodized aluminum. This is why all of your fuel pumps are anodized. I really dont want to get into a debate on whether things will work or not. I'm a huge pusher of E85 and pushed to have the E85 section on our board. I've done my research and I dont feel comfortable running E85 with raw aluminum. It's really a choice each individual wants to make. I dont want to risk anything that may cause faults on my car.

JD,

I certainly agree that you do what you feel is best for your car. Let us know how it works out.

I was just trying to pass along the information that has been shared with the E85 Section.

I appreciate your support of the E85 Section.

I just wish that it was more readily available throughout the USA. The closest station to me is 1.5 hr away!

Conrad Carter
Hot Air

Like I said before.. we could probably make one. I just dont think it would be in that price range. Its a LOT of welding and would be very time consuming.

What Id do is try to find the original manufacturer of the aluminum tank thats out there and see if they could either A) Make you one out of stainless or B) Stamp the pieces for you and you could have someone else weld it up.