buying a 9 mm

nu2gn

fasteddie
THINKING OF BUYING A RUGER P95 9MM, I HEARD THIS IS A GOOD STARTER GUN FOR THE PRICE AND IS ALSO RELIABLE. I WENT TO THE RANGE AND MY FRIEND LET ME USE IT. IT FELT GOOD, NOT TO HEAVY WITH THE HIGH CAPACITY MAG. CAN ANYONE THAT OWNS ONE GIVE SOME FEEDBACK? THANKS!

They are pretty beefy and bulky so I wouldn't CCW mine. However, it's reliable as heck. I've never had a problem with mine.

It is a nice gun but I would watch what some call a good price... It is a very common gun, works well... Heavy as a brick and not that pleasant on the eyes imo:confused: We all have different taste though....

brand new is 350, and it will be my first gun, but i can assure it won't be my last either. Just want to get some range experience then step up to a .45.

If you want a .45acp then start off with one.

A buddy of mine had one of those Rugers. I always thought it felt "Blocky" to my hand. I'm a big fan of Ruger revolvers, but not so much on their autoloaders. Keep looking around & see what else is out there.

~JM~

Very reliable gun, but it is bulky. I had my reciever bugger up on a misfeed, factory covered it. PITA for fast field strip. Look at a Tarus PT1911 for a .45. Lower price but shoots and feels great.

Also look at the Beretta PX4 Storm Compact. I just picked up the sub compact version and absolutely love this gun.... They come with 3 changeable back straps for the grip (sm, md, lg ) for fitting your hand. The .9mm sub compact holds 14 rds & 10 of the .45! The Compact & Sub compact also come in .45 but the compact version is the only one that has a rotating barrel which reduces the recoil. I seen a video of someone shooting the compact and the person looked at the gun range owner and asked "Can we shoot the .45 now"? and the gun range owner said "You are"!! The recoil on the compact with the rotating barrel reduces the it so much that the .45 feels like shooting the .9mm

Very nice gun and after 500 rounds still not a single problem!

Scott you got the Sub Compact or the Compact?
I have the Sub compact right now..... I will be getting the "Compact" in a .45 though cause of the rotating barrel...

PX4SCw-ViridianC5L.jpg

Scot, what in hell happened with the Springfield Armory XDm you were so crazy about? You had me convinced that that one is the one to have.....I have researched this XDm all the way and found they are a great auto to have.....you were the one who pointed me towards them.....I love them, what made you switch? I haven't got one yet, (bills, bills, and more bills:() but will sometimes......why the Berreta?

Blue Steel.....'87GN (Bruce Urie)

Scot, what in hell happened with the Springfield Armory XDm you were so crazy about? You had me convinced that that one is the one to have.....I have researched this XDm all the way and found they are a great auto to have.....you were the one who pointed me towards them.....I love them, what made you switch? I haven't got one yet, (bills, bills, and more bills:() but will sometimes......why the Berreta?

That would be my pick. the xdm is sweet. but 19 round mags in 9mm are a no no in NJ . the PX4 has a rotating barrel assembly. Making it have less recoil. Many say shooting the .40cal feels like a 9mm in that gun. Plus it is at the top of the sub compact group when it comes to firepower

Hi Bruce,

First let me thank you for the card in the mail...... Very nice of you ;)

There are a few reasons actually but the main reason being "Fitment".... I shot both guns at the range and the Beretta felt better and I shot better with the Beretta... Nothing against the XDM but it boiled down to what felt better and how each gun shot.....

When I held the Beretta it was like the gun was molded for me personally and my grouping with the Beretta was Way better than the XDM so that sold me right there...... No matter what the publicity says and how popular a gun may be, fitment and comfortability in shooting is the ultimate decision maker for me....

SW

That would be my pick. the xdm is sweet. but 19 round mags in 9mm are a no no in NJ . the PX4 has a rotating barrel assembly. Making it have less recoil. Many say shooting the .40cal feels like a 9mm in that gun. Plus it is at the top of the sub compact group when it comes to firepower
PLUS these points as well were added to my decision....... Not too mention that the Beretta sub compact is quoted as being one of (if not The) most accurate sub compact pistol on the market today....

OK, good enough for me....I'll research that one also....it looks pretty intimidating, too. But it seems the short barrel is really only for close combat quarters, not accurate after 50 yards or so....I always thought the longer the barrel the more accurate the shot. But, nice choice anyway....I do hope it's cheaper than the Springfield, that way it'll only be 11 weeks of eating beans for me.

The card? You sure are welcome, my friend. God bless.

Blue Steel.....'87GN (Bruce Urie the 4th)

OK, good enough for me....I'll research that one also....it looks pretty intimidating, too. But it seems the short barrel is really only for close combat quarters, not accurate after 50 yards or so....I always thought the longer the barrel the more accurate the shot. But, nice choice anyway....I do hope it's cheaper than the Springfield, that way it'll only be 11 weeks of eating beans for me.

The card? You sure are welcome, my friend. God bless.

Blue Steel.....'87GN (Bruce Urie the 4th)
They also have the Compact version that is sweet. Little longer barrel so them long range shots are easier. but ive seen countless video's of sub compact gun models where guys are shooting 40 pls yds . I always thought longer barrel was easier to shoot accurate then a shorter barrel. Not that a longer barrel is more accurate then a short barrel.
Plus the PX4 is going for 450.00 at Buds. XDm's going for close to 600 , if not over 600 pending where you buy from. So many choices, not enough money

The long barrel has the advantage of placing the sights farther apart from each other making sight alignment easier & more precise.
There is no advantage of a longer barrel other than better sight alignment & slightly higher velocity. The short barrel guns are just as accurate if you can hold them properly & align the sights just as well.

~JM~

I'll second (or third) that Springfield XD, I have a 9mm bi-tone subcompact that is a fantastic CCW and a great shooter. Haven't shot the XDm yet but looking forward to it.

What I'd like to know is how do you guys get to test out these guns before you by them? I can't find anywhere around here that they do this......I had to watch decades of Dirty Harry Calahan firing his gun before I got the .44 magnum........if only I could test fire the XDs and Berettas. Maybe I have to do more serious searching, as there's got to be a place to test fire before buying.