budget roller cam

You mean ductile roller correct? I have never broke one or seen one broke but never ran more than a comp 941 spring on one myself. Budget rollers had hundreds of failures in the late 90's. They were cut on regular cam cores unlike the ductile cores that are heat treated. Big difference between the two.

Well that will break any cam . LOL Bison, I have run tons more pressure on a ductile cam for racing with no issues, of course this is not a daily driver but these cams have more than proven they work great and can take a pounding. FYI if we put all the sales of all the vendors together that sold the old style bad roller cams you could not come up with "hundreds sold" there was just not that many that got out there. Of course this story keeps getting bigger as time goes by.
Mike

I had a "budget roller" I remember the pain first hand. Not sure how many actually were sold to unsuspecting Buick owners but I know of 4 guys locally that sacrificed their engines to those cams.

Neal

I had a "budget roller" I remember the pain first hand. Not sure how many actually were sold to unsuspecting Buick owners but I know of 4 guys locally that sacrificed their engines to those cams.

Neal

That was definately a bad deal..... however Mike is right...... the new ductile iron cams.... some of them austempered I think as well..... are not to be compared with the old budget rollers everone got bitten by....... there are lots of the new non billet.... stock type cam nose setups..... out there making passes.....

I believe you're right Blazer. I remember reading some of the rollers are austempered. One day I may be swithching but not right now.

Well that will break any cam . LOL Bison, I have run tons more pressure on a ductile cam for racing with no issues, of course this is not a daily driver but these cams have more than proven they work great and can take a pounding. FYI if we put all the sales of all the vendors together that sold the old style bad roller cams you could not come up with "hundreds sold" there was just not that many that got out there. Of course this story keeps getting bigger as time goes by.
Mike
Pontiac guys got the s hit end of the budget rollers too. It wasnt just Buicks. Id imagine the ductile cam will take more spring pressure than the 3 pedestal rocker setup could handle. I hear a lot about broken pedestals/shafts and pulled threads but never broken cams.