Budget 11 Sec. Drag radial recipe?

On a budget? Park in the dragstrip parking lot and watch 11 second cars from the stands. When you have saved about 2k you can then start modding.

On a budget? Park in the dragstrip parking lot and watch 11 second cars from the stands. When you have saved about 2k you can then start modding.
Don't need to save. What's the least that's proven to go 11s on radials without buying everything made?

Comp Cams 980 valvesprings, 340 walbro pump, Scanmaster, adjustable wastegate, cat test pipe, Caspers audible knock sensor, high timing race chip, C16 race gas, Autolite 23s gapped at .030, adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Start the boost at 23psi and go up from there. Tune fuel pressure for 780 02s at the top of the run and NO KNOCK EVER. You could add a switch to lock the converter in 3rd gear. Don't run the car in OD, shift at 5000.

The car needs to be in good tune with coil, module, wires, fuel filter, K&N air filter, fresh trans fluid and filter, fresh rear diff fluid, good u-joints, external trans cooler. You're going to beat on it and it may break. This is old school but they used to do it like this.

Start with telling us what you have. First and foremost you car has to have each system working flawlessly; engine, trans, electrical, fuel and cooling. Next is what you experience is. Vortexbuicks.com has very good info on what is needed.

What's the least that's proven to go 11s on radials without buying everything made?
problem you will have is the transmission will not hold up on an 11 sec car.once you put the drag radials on,also i hope you know how to tune if you do with a killer tune the car should 60 ft low 1.6 to high 1.5s.here ya go,alkycontrol meth injection,tt 5.7 chip,intake pump with a hotwire,dump tube,air filter,plugs,drag radials,at least a shift kit and external cooler for trans,scanmaster or wideband,take all the crap out of the trunk,right rear air bag,remove front swap bar.if I were you I would do the trans,add eaton posi,and get the injectors cleaned or buy new ones,rjc powerplate. the meth will handle intake charge temps and add fuel. on the stock turbo I have seen 30 psi depending on air,timing should be higher on the 1/2,lower in 3rd with the converter locked.without meth injection you will need to keep the boost in the low 20s and run higher timing as stated above.research ed brewer he went low 11s on the stock turbo.me personally I found it much easier to run 11 on a small turbo upgrade like a 49/44,and getting a good converter and I don't even take these cars to the track anymore without the trans upgrade.

Start with telling us what you have. First and foremost you car has to have each system working flawlessly; engine, trans, electrical, fuel and cooling. Next is what you experience is. Vortexbuicks.com has very good info on what is needed.
Exactly. So much knowledge written on Vortex. Read the section on Combination Synergy.
I would add that when looking to turn an untouched, bone stock TR to an 11 sec machine, it's getting pretty economical to go E85. Chip, injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, hot wire kit, scanmaster, power logger, boost gauge and you'd have it. You'd have to do those with any combo so just make sure you get enough to carry E85.
Like has been stated though, trans is first to go out.

I had sold my grand national years ago and recently got the fever for another turbo car. I thought about buying a fast one from the start but I'm kinda leaning towards a close to stock car now. I'm wanting a car to go 11s on radials. My old car was stock except for reds 93 and kn filter and a adjustable regulator and waste gate. It went 13.10 on stock tires with an open rear end. I had done other mods before selling it but never had a chance to get more passes. Just trying to make up
My mind before I purchase.

Buy something that has good go fast parts on it. You'll be way ahead of the game.

Here is my opinion, start with a 3" down pipe and remove the cat, at least a Dut neck modified stock intercooler and then address the fuel system.

Of course the stock air inlet and filter needs to go. A RJC power plate is also a good addition at that level.

A new fuel pump would be in order and a new fuel filter as well. Stock injectors are marginal at that level, but an adjustable fuel regulator is mandatory.

A Scanmaster will provide good info for tuning.

At 12.0 the stock turbo will be about maxed out, and a TA-49 with a Garrett exhaust housing would make is easier with less boost, and maybe your stock converter will still work OK?

A new chip is a mandatory item, and I would start out tuning with a mixture of pump and race gas until you determine if performance is where you want it to be safe w/o knock.

Good luck, and absorb all the tech info you can, and then sort out your plan of attack! :)

Here is my opinion, start with a 3" down pipe and remove the cat, at least a Dut neck modified stock intercooler and then address the fuel system.

Of course the stock air inlet and filter needs to go. A RJC power plate is also a good addition at that level.

A new fuel pump would be in order and a new fuel filter as well. Stock injectors are marginal at that level, but an adjustable fuel regulator is mandatory.

A Scanmaster will provide good info for tuning.

At 12.0 the stock turbo will be about maxed out, and a TA-49 with a Garrett exhaust housing would make is easier with less boost, and maybe your stock converter will still work OK?

A new chip is a mandatory item, and I would start out tuning with a mixture of pump and race gas until you determine if performance is where you want it to be safe w/o knock.

Good luck, and absorb all the tech info you can, and then sort out your plan of attack! :)
I had a TE44, 42# injectors, alky, cold air kit and 255lph fuel pump, 5.7tt chip and stock IC. I went 11.88 at 113mph, with a 1.79 60' time. Car came with a scanmaster. Cost at the time was about $2k.

Very subjective material for discussion here. Anyway, with that being said here's the recipe that took me to 11.6's @ 117.5 /w 1.7 60'

Bone stock motor internally.
Good V2 front mount
staged double pumper fuel system, both hotwired.
MSD 50# injectors
Performance built tranny stuffed with billet parts
Vigilante 7 disc converter (no longer made)
TE-44 turbo with .85 Precision turbine housing
pure 112 race gas. (My car hated C16)
27# of boost and 25° of WOT timing
chip locking converter at 88mph in 3rd.

Assuming the car is in mechanical good condition and ready to run hard you could start with this short list..... See what the car runs before stepping up to a bigger turbo, better converter, small cam, better intercooler, and that kind of stuff.....Start with basic mods and see how fast you can go!!! May not end up needing some of these parts...A MAF translator might not be a must if the current stock maf is ok ,but it is hard to find stock maf that hasn't been rebuilt or is properly calibrated....If not right away it is a matter of time before it is an issue....

Upgrade fuel pump
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Chip and injector combo from Turbo tweak or B. Bailey
Open element K&N filter
Alky kit
Cut out so you can remove the cat

Don't need to save. What's the least that's proven to go 11s on radials without buying everything made?

Most cost effective way .. E85 conversion ( pump, injectors, chip , hotwire ) , TE44 , good valve springs , some method of datalogging .. this is assuming your car runs 100% in stock form.
You don't need to do anything to the exhaust but a test pipe that can be run open , air bags, and learning the car.

IF E85 isn't an option I would setup it up for Race fuel 108-112 , chip , pump , hotwire TE44, Valvesprings , datalog equip,

This should get you 113-115 and 11.80 range easily

Question is how many times do you want to run 11's ... the stock trans won't hold this for very long.