Buddy cox tubbed gnx?

Appreciating it and chopping one up is apples to oranges. I couldn't care less about a pristine GNX either and anyone able to afford one is more of a car collector then a racer and is not gonna pay a premium to hack up a GNX just so he can race it. Lets face it, they just were not very fast by todays standards.

The only thing GNX would be the badges. The rest would be changed.

If that was so then why has no one else done it since? Easy, because there is no interest in ruining a GNX so one can have GNX badges on their race car.

And for a good reason. Buddy's car was awesome. That is a fact. Racing history it really isn't tho. Maybe in our small community but not overall.

Well, this time, I agree!...:wink:
And also, if someone really MUST have a GNX race car, well then just add some GNX nameplates, fender vents and flares on it and it could pass as a real one because like you said, "The rest would be changed" :)
It's also true that Buddy's GNX #187 might be a part of our small community' racing history, and because of that, I think it should be preserved the way it is... (at least, that's what I'd do if I'd own the car...)
Maybe one day, it'll become a great car for some of these "nostalgia" races! :redface:

Take care,

Claude. :cool:

Well, this time, I agree!...:wink:
And also, if someone really MUST have a GNX race car, well then just add some GNX nameplates, fender vents and flares on it and it could pass as a real one because like you said, "The rest would be changed" :)
It's also true that Buddy's GNX #187 might be a part of our small community' racing history, and because of that, I think it should be preserved the way it is... (at least, that's what I'd do if I'd own the car...)
Maybe one day, it'll become a great car for some of these "nostalgia" races! :redface:

Take care,

Claude. :cool:

I am hoping that my Atomic GN will be remembered also. Just like many others. I am praying I never have to experience what these drivers did?
The one thing about a GNX,GN,T TYPE, T, REGAL and all others that want that memory you cant forget. They are all BUICK V-6 powered!!:cool:

One example of these nostalgic Buick cars not bringing any money is the old white Gallina car. My friend has had it on sale here for a long time for cheap and has pretty much no interest. That car has to be in the top 5 most famous Buick V6 cars to us Turbo Buick guys.

One example of these nostalgic Buick cars not bringing any money is the old white Gallina car. My friend has had it on sale here for a long time for cheap and has pretty much no interest. That car has to be in the top 5 most famous Buick V6 cars to us Turbo Buick guys.
Yep, remember when Gallina tried selling his Buick at Barrett Jackson? It only fetched like $35k so he bought it back himself I was told. It was a NHRA record winning Buick SS/DX '87 Grand National. Hell of a car tho.

The wrecked car went off the track in Columbus a couple years ago. He went through the trap and across the road hitting a concrete barrier. He was a older gent and had mostly hand injuries. I forget his name but I was there when it happened.

The pics of that car are unreal. You would have thought somebody seriously got hurt in that picture. I sure hope Steve and his Dad can get the car back together again.

The pics of that car are unreal. You would have thought somebody seriously got hurt in that picture. I sure hope Steve and his Dad can get the car back together again.

I remember reading somwhere about a crashed GNX (#298 I think...) which has been rebuilt using a regular GN, but I don't remember where though...:redface: The Sullivan's car is #258.

Claude.

The wrecked car went off the track in Columbus a couple years ago. He went through the trap and across the road hitting a concrete barrier. He was a older gent and had mostly hand injuries. I forget his name but I was there when it happened.

I remember when he posted on here about his father bending the steering wheel and brake pedal tring to stop the the car:eek: adrenalin is a monster

I am not sure that Buddy Cox's car will ever sky rocket in value but I would be interested in owning it if it became available. If it came up for sale I bet it would go for a good amount of money because there are people that would be interested in owning for the Buick racing history perspective. The car was well known at the time and not just in Buick circles. The Mustang/Grand National shoot outs were popular events and covered in most all of the mainstream automotive mag's at the time. I would bet that Buddy's GNX is the most well know of all of the GNX's. I would love to own the car(even though I would bet the car would sell for more than my price range) and I would restore it back to its former racing condition and continue to race it and have a blast!

All I could add to the Buddy Cox car is it was highly modified early on in his ownership. It would take a sacrificial low mileage GN to undo what has been done to that car. I don't even know if all the take off GNX parts were retained by him. Buddy was asked if he really wanted to cut on a car this rare. (being a GNX). He said yes all the way along.

Reminds me of something:

A friend told me of a WWII P-51 Mustang in a hanger close to his. This was about ten years ago. I was over at my friend's hanger helping him prep his plane for our trip to the Indy 500. Out of the blue the owner of the P-51 came over and politely introduced himself and cautiously asked me about my GN. He is a very nice and super wealthy man. [A very rare combination in my life experience] After a good conversation he took me over to take a look at his surgically clean GNX. His GNX is the least expensive of all the planes and cars in his hanger. It seems to me that he highly values it. That was a surprising, and almost shocking event to me.

I have found GNXs in collections and garages over the years since 1987. I can state without any reservation that the owner's I have happened upon of these cars will never join a site, put their name on some list, belong to a club or otherwise advertise the fact that they own one of the cars. Why? I think it is because the way people act, what they say and the way they say it these days.

I have a suggestion. Watch the way you approach anyone on what they own. This seems to be a rare lost art in today's world. You never know where that, possible friendship will lead. Friendship is one of the ONLY choices you get to make in life that is truly yours to make. Hey I never thought in my wildest dreams that I would spend so much time around a real air worthy P-51 Mustang.

Hey Folks!
I really don't understand why anybody would make a GNX a modified race car. I understand that you are free to do with your car as you wish. However, when you race, accidents like this do happen. When these cars were produced in 1987 everybody knew how rare the GNX was and would become in the future. It's the same logic as a rock star that takes his 1959 Gibson Les Paul on tour with them and it gets stolen and they can't figure out why.
Buddy Cox is a great racing legend BUT............

GNXFireFAIL.jpg

Ok. I'm an arsehole! :wink:

Hey Folks!
I really don't understand why anybody would make a GNX a modified race car. I understand that you are free to do with your car as you wish. However, when you race, accidents like this do happen. When these cars were produced in 1987 everybody knew how rare the GNX was and would become in the future. It's the same logic as a rock star that takes his 1959 Gibson Les Paul on tour with them and it gets stolen and they can't figure out why.
Buddy Cox is a great racing legend BUT............

GNXFireFAIL.jpg

Ok. I'm an arsehole! :wink:

I think cars are made to driven, possibly raced and enjoyed. I think it makes even less sense to buy a car and just store it and never drive it. Cars are not good investments. Most GNX's sold for over the $30K sticker price and most I heard about back in the day sold for around $40k. So if you bought a new GNX in 87 for $40K and never drove it and stored it away how much would it be worth now? Maybe $80K? If you use the inflation calculators you can find on line $40K in 87 dollars is equal to $77,230 in 2010 dollars so you bascially broke even value wise not including the cost of insurance for 24 years and any storage or transportation fees you might of had but you never got the joy of driving the car or having any fun with it. If you consider what you could have done with that $40K in 87 such as invest or buy real estate you would be way behind with the car "investment". Buddy bought the car, drove it, had fun, raced it, turned it into a race car, had fun, had tons of magazine coverage at the time, became pretty well known(and did I mention had fun?:p)and I bet the car would easily bring 2/3's of the price of a no mileage garage queen that was never driven so I think Buddy did alright. GNX's are great cars and I will likely buy one at some point(I would like a nice drive) but they are never going to be million dollar cars. The reason some of the very rare muscle cars are so valuable now is because in the 60's and early 70's nobody bought them and stored them away--they drove them, raced them, and generally used them up so few survived so they are hard to come by. I am unsure of how many GNX's survive today but there are a good number of very nice, very low mileage(many no mileage) cars left so there is enough to satisfy the guys that are looking for that type of car. I don't think that all cars should be abused or raced or used up but I do think every car deserves to be driven and enjoyed. I likely would not have turned a GNX into a race car if I had bought a new one in 87 but I sure would have driven it on nice days and beat up on some of the 5.0 Mustangs that were everywhere at the time instead of storing it away!:D