Buddy cox tubbed gnx?

'82turboGN

Anybody know anything about Buddy Cox and his tubbed GNX? I may have the name wrong but i heard something about a guy who tubbed his GNX back in the day. Any pictures or info? I was curious as to how badly tubbing a GNX hurt its value. I searched the board and found nothing. I know its random but i just had to have some proof that a guy actually tubbed one of the fortunate 547.

Anybody know anything about Buddy Cox and his tubbed GNX? I may have the name wrong but i heard something about a guy who tubbed his GNX back in the day. Any pictures or info? I was curious as to how badly tubbing a GNX hurt its value. I searched the board and found nothing. I know its random but i just had to have some proof that a guy actually tubbed one of the fortunate 547.

Well.....it wasn't so much the tubbing that hurt it's value... It was first the fire, then the well....here ya go...you asked for it!

Attachments

• cox.jpg
    cox.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,376
  • cox1.jpg
    cox1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 1,384
  • cox2.JPG
    cox2.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,403
  • cox3.JPG
    cox3.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,441
  • cox4.JPG
    cox4.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,443
Ah the old power master fails again:eek: That had to be one scary ride. I thought he fixed that car.

To answer the question, A documented, successful, pedigreed modified race car will in most cases be far more valuable than an original un-modified version of the car.

Case in point- The value of the original Sox & Martin Pro-Stock 1970 Hemi Cuda, compared to the price of a restored, stock 1970 hemicuda. A S&M Race 'Cuda is FAR more valueable than a restored, stock hemicuda.

Emphasis on the documented part.....

That GNX would still be quite valueable from a couple of aspects- It's an original GNX, and second it has a race-documented history.

John

To answer the question, A documented, successful, pedigreed modified race car will in most cases be far more valuable than an original un-modified version of the car.

Case in point- The value of the original Sox & Martin Pro-Stock 1970 Hemi Cuda, compared to the price of a restored, stock 1970 hemicuda. A S&M Race 'Cuda is FAR more valueable than a restored, stock hemicuda.

That GNX would still be quite valueable from a couple of aspects- It's an original GNX, and second it has a race-documented history.

John

I can't believe you just typed that up and felt well enough about it to press post.... Most cases? Hardly. You just threw an apple in with an orange... Sox and Martin car was a super successful NHRA race team. Buddy Coxs' car, although I loved it is not in the same category... In 90% of cases (even enthusiasts), if you would ask who Buddy Cox was they would have NO idea. You are right on something tho, the car is still valuable because it was a GNX but I am sure that the wreck, fire, and racing did nothing to help it's value...

Just so everyone is clear: The GNX on fire is Cox's tubbed GNX, the car that is wrecked in not Cox's car---it is a board member here and it is a GNX also.

Just so everyone is clear: The GNX on fire is Cox's tubbed GNX, the car that is wrecked in not Cox's car---it is a board member here and it is a GNX also.
I was misinformed then. Either way, what I said still stands.

Exactly. Buddy Cox came from Salisbury, Maryland and his GNX was #187. I have the video of that famous fire which took place at Bowling Green, KY which looked worse than it really was. :rolleyes: It was caused by a transmission oil cooler line that ruptured speweing fluid onto the headers which caught fire. It made a mess but no real damage...In the video, you can see Buddy saying that the car would be fixed for the coming "next Friday night event"...:wink:
As for the other GNX, I've seen these pictures before, but I don't know the story behind it or which number it is...:frown:
Hope these explanations clear up a few things!...

Claude. :)

P.S: I wonder whatever happened to Buddy and if he still has the GNX?...:confused:

Just to really clear it up, Buddy, his wife Brenda and their Son Wayne are personal friends of mine, I live in the same hometown and speak to and see wayne several times a week. That is not Buddy's GNX that was wrecked. The car was repaired after the fire and although it has not been out or ran in several years, the car is still in tact and I can speak of this as I have personally seen it recently.

On a side note, that GNX and Wayne's GNX are the cars that turned me onto turbo regals. Amazing that a father and son both owned a GNX at the same time. I have driven Wayne's as well as Wayne's 10 second turbo ta amazing cars.

The pictures of the car that is crashed seems to have some Florida plates on it...Definitely NOT Buddy's GNX!..:rolleyes:

Claude. :smile:

The wrecked GNX is Steve Sullivan's dad's car. It was a 9.90 car I think. He said the powermaster failed and he crashed. Luckily he was ok and last I heard they were fixing the car and putting it back to stock I think.

I'm also thinking that maybe in a few years I will be able to purchase it. Wonder what to do, keep it race or bring it back to stock appearing.

I'm also thinking that maybe in a few years I will be able to purchase it. Wonder what to do, keep it race or bring it back to stock appearing.

If you're talking about Buddy's car, I'd keep it the way it is. It's a unique piece of "Buick racing history"...:wink: There are 546 other GNX's, but only one which is famous like that...

Claude. :)

Yea Buddy's car and I'm thinking so, but I would never be able to drive it, costs way too much to even race. A trip from Salisbury to Ocean City for Hot Rod week costs a couple hundred just in fuel. But it is the worlds fastest GNX or at least it was at the time.

Was the "Buddy Cox" GNX altered or built by Advanced Vehicle Concepts in MI? I knew this car was done very early like 1988 or 1989. I remembered thinking this car is still under warranty.

AWK

Well.....it wasn't so much the tubbing that hurt it's value... It was first the fire, then the well....here ya go...you asked for it!

The wrecked car went off the track in Columbus a couple years ago. He went through the trap and across the road hitting a concrete barrier. He was a older gent and had mostly hand injuries. I forget his name but I was there when it happened.

John
Not for nothen but no one really gives a chit about a raced GNX. There is absolutely no interest in a raced GNX by anyone. I would have to strongly disagree with ur example. What popular race did that GNX win? A GS national race? That means less then nothing for anyone looken to purchase a GNX.

An original GNX will ALWAYS be worth more then a modified raced GNX. No question about it. A raced and documented Shelby or old Audi or Mercedes is different then a drag raced car.

Not for nothen but no one really gives a chit about a raced GNX. There is absolutely no interest in a raced GNX by anyone. I would have to strongly disagree with ur example. What popular race did that GNX win? A GS national race? That means less then nothing for anyone looken to purchase a GNX.

An original GNX will ALWAYS be worth more then a modified raced GNX. No question about it. A raced and documented Shelby or old Audi or Mercedes is different then a drag raced car.

"GNBRETT", sorry, but I disagree...:redface: Everyone who's been into GN's since they came out in the mid-80's will remember Buddy Cox's GNX. It might not be a "pieces of racing history" to the same extent as the numerous Sox & Martin cars, but it is a piece of BUICK racing history. ("BUICK" being the key word here...):wink:
I couldn't care less about a pristine GNX...heck, most of them ended up into the hands of so-called collectors and became "garage queens", rarely driven...:rolleyes: so most of them are still nice.
A "nice" GNX is not that hard to find. They're expensive but not hard to find and you can still buy one anyday.
So I'd just restore Buddy's GNX to like it was when it was turned into a race car and leave it like that. Those like me, who know about it's history will appreciate it.

Claude. :cool:

"GNBRETT", sorry, but I disagree...:redface: Everyone who's been into GN's since they came out in the mid-80's will remember Buddy Cox's GNX. It might not be a "pieces of racing history" to the same extent as the numerous Sox & Martin cars, but it is a piece of BUICK racing history. ("BUICK" being the key word here...):wink:
I couldn't care less about a pristine GNX...heck, most of them ended up into the hands of so-called collectors and became "garage queens", rarely driven...:rolleyes: so most of them are still nice.
A "nice" GNX is not that hard to find. They're expensive but not hard to find and you can still buy one anyday.
So I'd just restore Buddy's GNX to like it was when it was turned into a race car and leave it like that. Those like me, who know about it's history will appreciate it.

Claude. :cool:
Appreciating it and chopping one up is apples to oranges. I couldn't care less about a pristine GNX either and anyone able to afford one is more of a car collector then a racer and is not gonna pay a premium to hack up a GNX just so he can race it. Lets face it, they just were not very fast by todays standards.

The only thing GNX would be the badges. The rest would be changed.

If that was so then why has no one else done it since? Easy, because there is no interest in ruining a GNX so one can have GNX badges on their race car.

It's just not logical. I guess if someone had an absurd amount of money to burn they might do it but there is a reason there has only been one or two.

How many ORIGINAL 1967 Shelby Cobra AC 427's have been turned into drag cars? The GNX will be just as rare some day. Maybe not worth as much but just as rare.

If I had money to burn I would certainly do myself but most would never even dream of doing that to a GNX. And for a good reason. Buddy's car was awesome. That is a fact. Racing history it really isn't tho. Maybe in our small community but not overall.