Braided fuel line ?

HUENEMEGN

I am wanting to do my own AN Fuel lines to save on cost. Seems pretty easy. Has anyone used ANfittingsdirect. http://www.anfittingsdirect.com/

So my question is are they of good quality? I'm checking if the Teflon has carbon as that is what's required right?

Has anyone used this company before?

they are same company as frozenboost
the hose and fittings are cheap
. fittings dont always play nice if you get a strand of the braid in the threads it will destroy the threads , so consider getting a couple extras
stainless braid is tough and harder to work with than aeroquip braided stuff but i manage to get the ends on
braid is tight and stiff which doesnt flex easily so plan out your routing and end fittings to avoid bends under 6"radius or you may kink it
dont know where you read ptfe lines needs carbon ? its plastic
its cheap so dont expect it to be easy to work with the first time around
and dont get their inline filters , the bronze element doesnt take much to block fuel flow

I would stem away from the braided stuff and go with a teflon line. It's E85 compatible and lasts a lot longer then braided. Racetronix also has their own line of AN fittings and hose that you can build your own line kit with if you know the lengths of what you need. Good luck.

the anfittings stuff IS stainless braided with ptfe liner (teflon) so its fully compatible with e85 or whatever you want to run through it

the anfittings stuff is difficult to work with to put ends on but the racetronix stuff with the outer plastic shell is no picnic either

they are same company as frozenboost
the hose and fittings are cheap
. fittings dont always play nice if you get a strand of the braid in the threads it will destroy the threads , so consider getting a couple extras
stainless braid is tough and harder to work with than aeroquip braided stuff but i manage to get the ends on
braid is tight and stiff which doesnt flex easily so plan out your routing and end fittings to avoid bends under 6"radius or you may kink it
dont know where you read ptfe lines needs carbon ? its plastic
its cheap so dont expect it to be easy to work with the first time around
and dont get their inline filters , the bronze element doesnt take much to block fuel flow

Ive read one or two post somewhere that the fittings are not that good. But the black ones they sell look exactly like the ones I've seen on some of our own Turbo Buick vendors?

the anfittings stuff IS stainless braided with ptfe liner (teflon) so its fully compatible with e85 or whatever you want to run through it

the anfittings stuff is difficult to work with to put ends on but the racetronix stuff with the outer plastic shell is no picnic either

So I wonder if I can buy the braided line from ANFITTINGS and maybe use other vendors fittings? They sell the line for $3.70 a foot as that's the most expensive about the doing lines anywhere else. Good price.

The lines they sell are E85 compatible and PTFE.

fwiw the black anfittings hose was harder to work with than the silver , and on fittings the reverse seemed to be true

as to other vendors stuff looking similar ..i wouldnt assume them to be same .. fittings from different manufacturers may appear to be the same in a pic but hold them and twist them together and it youll notice that you get what you pay for

and on buying their hose and using some other make of fittings ...stick with one maker/supplier on the hose and fittings and dont assume that another brand fitting will work with a hose just because it looks similar

fwiw the black anfittings hose was harder to work with than the silver , and on fittings the reverse seemed to be true

as to other vendors stuff looking similar ..i wouldnt assume them to be same .. fittings from different manufacturers may appear to be the same in a pic but hold them and twist them together and it youll notice that you get what you pay for

and on buying their hose and using some other make of fittings ...stick with one maker/supplier on the hose and fittings and dont assume that another brand fitting will work with a hose just because it looks similar

I see... I just emailed Racetronix as they don't have online prices for the hoses

dont know where you read ptfe lines needs carbon ?
A carbon "strip" is molded into some teflon hoses to reduce the chance of static build up created from the fuel flowing through it . The static discharge can supposedly make pin holes in the line when arcing to ground . By adding the carbon strip the static charge is bled off to the metal connections . This was discussed a few years ago when E85 fuel line conversions were getting popular .

^I'm happy to see someone paid a little attention over the years.

You're close, but not quite there. The reason normal 30R09 fuel hoses don't need carbon is because they aren't a ground path. When fuel flows through a hose, they make static electricity. When they hit something grounded, that charge is gone. (think Mythbusters with their 'panty static generator'). While the fuel is going through the line is can't arc until it doesn't matter.

With SS braided hoses, there's a ground path at every single point of the hose. And there will be premature arcing going on before the excited fuel makes it way to actual grounded metal.

That's why braided hoses not only have to put up with the pressure, the fuel itself, but also can't eat itself. Since there's no way to keep it from being a conductor, there only option is to short out the entire run.

There's nothing cheap about AN fittings. They do come in handy though and look ok. I have a box of at least $500+ of leftover fittings and adapters over the years from doing the Buick fuel twice(single feed/single return to dual feed/dual return), oil lines, trans lines, and the twin 350 boat. The aeroquip ptfe was the easiest so far to put together. Buy the dedicated braided hose cutters to make life easier. Cruz performance carries what you need in a kit as well. You make a few wrong orders on parts trying to save money, that $$$ that adds up quick when one 90 fitting/adapter can run $30 alone....

^I'm happy to see someone paid a little attention over the years.

You're close, but not quite there. The reason normal 30R09 fuel hoses don't need carbon is because they aren't a ground path. When fuel flows through a hose, they make static electricity. When they hit something grounded, that charge is gone. (think Mythbusters with their 'panty static generator'). While the fuel is going through the line is can't arc until it doesn't matter.

With SS braided hoses, there's a ground path at every single point of the hose. And there will be premature arcing going on before the excited fuel makes it way to actual grounded metal.

That's why braided hoses not only have to put up with the pressure, the fuel itself, but also can't eat itself. Since there's no way to keep it from being a conductor, there only option is to short out the entire run.

Not quite right . First off , Teflon has a much lower conductivity then silicon or rubber hoses , which means it will hold the static charge . Second , a static electrical charge is just that , static , as in not moving along with the fuel , but building up in one spot along the line until it discharges through the the Teflon liner to the SS braided outer shield .
This is what Racetronix has to say about carbon lined fuel lines .
https://racetronix.com/press-release/551/
I hope this clears things up . Sam

I got this hose cutter at an unbelievable price
2298B5BD-32A7-454B-AE4E-F8A5D73388D8.png

^^That ''tech'' article was an ad.

And I don't care how they phrase it, or what spin anyone want's to lay on it... Convincing me that carbon isn't conductive will be a long row to hoe.

And the word ''static' in static electricity doesn't mean ''at rest'' in this instance. If the friction that excites the electrons. If you surround it by an insulator it has the opportunity to build up. With enough opportunity, it can potentially build up enough to arc to an opposite charged surface. If the medium is effectively shorted out, there's never a chance to build up energy.

Hold a balloon 'static' against a cat and notice how well it doesn't stick to the wall.

Using Racetronix's comparison with the clouds, we'd never have any lighting strikes if all the clouds were grounded out ahead of time.

Convincing me that carbon isn't conductive will be a long row to hoe.
Carbon IS conductive , that is why they line teflon hose with it . Teflon is nonconductive , less than rubber or silicon hose , hence the build up of a static charge . And by definition , static electricity is a stationary electric charge . The static electricity is not flowing through the fuel , it is caused by the fuel moving quickly against the teflon liner where it gives up electrons that build up on it . When the charge gets large enough it arcs through the liner to the braided SS outer jacket . There is even a Mil-Spec for performance and a conductivity test for teflon hose for aircraft , so there must be something to it , or why would anyone waste time & money carbon lining hoses.
Spec is 6 microamps @ 1000v for 18" test sample hose .
Just because Ractronix uses that info for an " add " doesn't make it wrong . Static build up in fuel lines has been known since the 1960's .

That's my point. Carbon is conductive.

If the braided shield is grounded, and the hole lining is on the same ground plane, there's not voltage bias to cause a discharge. It literally solves the problem.

This is all based on the OP original question of needing carbon on steel braided AN lines.

I would have replied differently if he said he was wanting to run non-carbon Teflon fuel hose out of an airplane.

Earl , I'm glad we agree that the OP should use carbon lined teflon fuel lines . That is what I have been saying. Also Mil-Spec aircraft fuel lines are carbon lined , hence the test for conductivity . They don't want leaking lines while flying.