Bought an E85 Stage 2...At a crossroads, Help!

Sounds to me like there's nothing you need to change except the installing the dual nozzle and get a new chip...I would do it in a heartbeat, one of the reason I like my alky kit so much is I can drive anywhere and get fuel, one day when E85 is more prevalent my opinion will change.

I probably wouldn't even change injectors personally.

Given the problems surfacing w/ e85 just being in the car's tank, how long do you think you can "store it", B4 it goes bad???
Convert it, and be done with it....

There are pro's and con's to E85 so OP, make sure you are aware of some of the things to watch out for. But before you go converting due to E85's Winter blend........

1) Are you going to drive your S2 GN from November to March since you're in PA? I doubt it, hell I don't drive mine and it's not nearly as expensive as your engine.

2) 9:1 Compression with 22psi is not the same as most GN's at 8:1 on 93 and Alky unless you drop the timing way out of it. This is an expensive S2 engine, I wouldn't run that fueling setup, it would need at least 100 octane as the fuel in the tank for me to take that financial risk.

3) How much more could he turn up the boost on Pump and Alky vs E85 and Alky with 9:1 compression? He has room to grow and all he needs to do is fill the Alky bottle and have at it around 24-25psi safely.

Make sure you drain the tank of E85 this Winter, don't allow any condensation to build up so just drain it. Make sure you don't have any aluminum fittings and keep an eye on your fuel filter regularly.

BTW, make sure this engine is no leaner than 10.8 AF/R on E85, if you add Alky it needs to go fatter. :cool:

FWIW, I would leave the 120's in the car for injectors, regardless on what you do with running E85 or pump/alky. If the car runs to potential, you would be close to maxing out 83's.

Its been done here by a member that the same car with the same boost and timing will make on average 10% more power with E85 vs pump/alky. This was done with different cars with repeatable results using a Dyno.

I can't remember his name right off hand but I was reading about the turbo Mustang guys getting similar results 10-15%.

Just to be clear the only thing that was changed on these setups is that the alky was turned off and the fueling system obviously was able to handle the 30% more fuel that was needed with E85.

Some guys here use both, E-85 and alky with awesome results. My GN will have both this summer.

Firechaser - An S2 car, I would run good gas in all the time. Either bite the bullet and deal with the e85 or run race gas in it.

I love pump/alky but I would not take the chance in an S2 car if I had one :cool:

Man that car is awsome . You may just want to call around find out who the local fuel supliar is and ask them if there are any e-85 stations I wasnt going to run e-85 for the same reason but I was talking to a guy for the local fuel supllier for some of the mom and pop gas stations and he told me of 3 in the area close to my house. If I go on line to the e-85 sites they dont show up at all.

Well...I took delivery today and after the nightmare of starting it in 20 degree weather...I think the E85 has to go. WHile I dont plan to drive it at all in the winter, their are times I need to start and move the car and that is a bit much (cold start)...probably one of the reasons E85 isn't very popular in cold climates. I plan to run 20lbs/boost on the street and I believe this is doable on 93/alky....I will have a seperate tune for race gas should I track it but honestly, I probably wont track it very often at all just wanted a very well built street car (i know this is an over the top street motor but the price was right :) ) OR...my other option is to run CAM 2 (the 100 octane sunoco stuff) as it's very close to my house and some alky....undecided yet but this E85 is going to be a difficult task between the distance and the cold starts....and please know, I do understand the benefits of the E85. Thanks, Bob

You have a FAST, create a program for the Winter where you run 50/50 to just start it and move it out of the garage. Maybe Cal can sell you a quickie start. ;)

Just so you know Firechaser-- the cold start issue with E85 is limited to modified cars. Factory FFV's running the proper E70 start just as if they are on gas- at least the 3 different kinds in my small company fleet do here in Wisconsin even though they sit outside. Getting cold start enrichment right in an aftermarket modified is difficult (ask Ford who did not have it right in their early algorithim- post alcohol sensor days). What limits E85 here in the winter is primarily 2 things; 1) consumers do not like stopping for fuel more frequently when it is bitter cold or snowing, and 2) when winter comes along the economic incentive to use E85 often goes from positive to negative due to 2X the amount of gas in E85 and that winter grade gas (and demand for gas) conspire to make gasoline cost less relative to ethanol.

Just get some e85 shipped to your house, I have been on both alky and e85 and must say after running e85 for three years now I love the stuff! I say just enjoy it while it lasts then go from there?