Bought an E85 Stage 2...At a crossroads, Help!

Firechaser

V8-2 cylinders=2x the $
OK, so yesterday I purchased a beautiful S2 car that runs fantastic on E85....my initial thoughts before seeing/buying this car were to convert it back to 93/Alky but it seems to run so nicely I am at a crossroad...here's my dilemna.

Their is (1) E85 dealer where I live...about 35 miles away so obviously my only choice is to "store" this E85....is anyone doing this? If so, how are you storing it? (container?) I looked into delivery services...don't exist around here.

Option (2) convert this car back to 93/Alky....basically the car has (2) 340 Wally's on a reds hanger w/ -10AN line now flowing to Champion rails w/ 120lb inj's. The swap-back wouldnt be too hard...I have brand new 83 lb's in my garage and a razors dual alky kit.

Car is currently running around 22lb boost and frankly, it's a beast and could be backed down for the street to at least 20. My concern is: Am i going to run into issues w/ the 93/Alky combo versus the E85? the car runs really well on the E85 and no knock now......what should I do? :biggrin: Any feedback/sugg's from the E85 experts would be appreciated......Is it worth the E85 headache in my particular situation with it not being readily avaliable close to me? Thanks, Bob

I guess it depends how often u plan on driving it and how far. 35 miles isnt too far but far enough that if it was mine id convert it.

I guess u could spend a g-note or so and store some in ur garage but I think that would get old after a while and I dont see u goin that much faster on E85 and if ur only gonna run it at 20-22 psi then convert it.

Arent u planning on runnen a FAST anyway?

Did u trailer it home or ship it?

Ha! Hi Brett...It's in an enclosed trailer, will be at my house tomorrow. Not going to drive it much, just a weekend car...it just ran so well I now have doubts whether i should mess with it (back to 93/alky) however it would be alot easier (and safer....E85 storage) to convert it back. As for the FAST, yes ultimately I do want my fast system on it but right now the car runs so darn well w/ it's current setup I really ain't in a hurry like I thought I would be before seeing/driving it....where this crossroads has come into effect. Just seems their isn't an "approved" E85 5-Gallon container that even exists (that I can find) and I see that being a problem going to the (1) E85 station 35 miles away and filling up (12) of them to put in my pickup truck :biggrin:

Leave it as is unless you know all the build specs and are sure they are correct. Beast at 22 psi. It may be a higher compression motor that won't be so easy to tune on 93 and alky. Then you risk the chance of breaking the stage motor. I work with people that drive more than 35 miles one way to work everyday. Its not that bad. I would get two 5 gallon pails from Summit or maybe see if the methanol containers will hold up. I hear they have a special coating.

Agree with above, don't mess with success. You can go even further than Jasjamz said and fill up at that station and bring a bunch of 5-6 gallon containers and have at it. I fill up the same way but it's about 15 miles away and I bring two home with me as spares.

Find about more details to the compression as I also think it's probably higher so you might need to consider Rockett Brands E85 for the track or adding a single nozzle alky to it to crank it up a bit more.

Keep an eye on your FP gauge at WOT and if you need more volume, the new DW 300 pumps will give you what your S2 needs.

A little insight on the specs... 9:1 comp, 4.1 off center S2 (278cu), DLS stroker w/ CP pistons, old-school nicely updated and free flowing S2 iron heads and an older 74 GTQ non-bb Turbo.....currently all running on one of Eric's 6.0 chips w/ MAF translator...etc... w/ a powerlogger setup.....has a single-shot Razors alky setup that is (currently) not needed to control knock.

I dont know alot about E85, but what about using an old 55 gallon drum of race gas to store the E85?

I think it will be better then 12 5 gal containers

Thats a Sweeeeet Car you bought.....!!;) I was on the fence for #2 weeks on buying it...:( If you ever go to sell it,, in the future contact me first........:biggrin: BTW, What was the final Price? I hope Im not out of line asking....

-Matt

Don't fix it if it aint broke. Definitely try to keep it e-85 or find a way to have seperate tunes 1 tune for pump and another for e-85. I'm willing to bet with the car being a stage 2 car it won't be daily driven so I think you should make a trip once a month or so out there to pick out some good fuel e-85 is worth it imo.

the main problem with E85 is every time u take the car out u have to be within driving range of an E85 gas station in case u run low on gas which u absolutely will considering ur gonna have ur foot into it quite often.

if u want to go to a car show or cruise night in the opposite direction of the E85 station ur screwed. I guess if ur plan was to stay local all the time then it doesnt really matter all that much but its still gonna be a PITA to keep filling up jugs of E85

the main problem with E85 is every time u take the car out u have to be within driving range of an E85 gas station in case u run low on gas which u absolutely will considering ur gonna have ur foot into it quite often.

Yeppers...this is part of my difficult decesion, it stinks b/c their is just no E85 anywhere around us. A search in the entire Philadelphia metro area showed
(1) station.....In NJ their is (2) for the entire state! I don't get it....I thought this "flexfuel" was going to be pushed harder, guess not.

I guess its all dependent on your convenience and tolerance for lack of convenience...

I only run blends since I have to travel 2 states away to the closest e85 station so from where i sit you look pretty lucky to have it only 35 miles away lol.

Of course if its 35 miles highway and it takes a 1/2 hour to get there not bad , if its 35 miles city driving and takes over an hour then its more of a pain in the arse.

how about leaving it alone long enough to know if its a real pain in the ass for you and go from there ? does your normal routine take you closer than 35 miles on a regular basis so you could fit it in with another trip ?

I havent had a problem filling 5 gallon red gas cans at the station closest to me but have been thinking about getting a permit and making my own ethanol (it isnt rocket science) or getting a fuel tank for the back of my truck like people use for diesel...

Yeppers...this is part of my difficult decesion, it stinks b/c their is just no E85 anywhere around us. A search in the entire Philadelphia metro area showed
(1) station.....In NJ their is (2) for the entire state! I don't get it....I thought this "flexfuel" was going to be pushed harder, guess not.

Depends on where you are from. It gets pretty hard to ignite e-85 in colder climates so that would be a possible reason why it's more prevalent in some areas like for example I have 2 stations within 1 mile of me, and we have about 4 other stations in the OKC metro area.

Depends on where you are from. It gets pretty hard to ignite e-85 in colder climates so that would be a possible reason why it's more prevalent in some areas like for example I have 2 stations within 1 mile of me, and we have about 4 other stations in the OKC metro area.

e85 is the marketing name for a series of fuels high in ethanol concentration.

it is only 85% ethanol year round in warm climate areas , in colder climates it is 85% ethanol in the summer and 70% ethanol in the winter with blends between 70-85% ethanol during spring & fall when they transition between the summer & winter fuel.

from the sounds of your use for the car you want to drive it and not worry, dont dick around with gas cans and driving 35 miles to get it...CONVERT IT

if ur not looken to turn the boost up the 29-30 psi E85 is offering few advantages it seems. at 20-22 psi which is where u say u would be at most I dont see the real advantage with the E85 at those boost levels.

its a SII with a big ci thru a 74gtq. its maken BIG power at 20 psi I bet. probably more then the tires will just about handle. 93/alky at 20 psi will live forever with a SII if its tuned right.

put the FAST in it and drive up to CT and have Otto tune it on the dyno. u spent good money for a really nice car so y screw around and just have Otto tune it to 93/alky and u can drive anywhere and fill up anywhere.

u could easily run 25 psi on 93/alky ill bet and still be very safe and at 25 psi that thing would be dangerous on the road I would think. well over 700 to the wheels. it makes little sense not to switch imo.

u should just give him a call and talk to him about what ur goals are. hes very sharp and local to you and within driving distance. just my $0.2

e85 is the marketing name for a series of fuels high in ethanol concentration.

it is only 85% ethanol year round in warm climate areas , in colder climates it is 85% ethanol in the summer and 70% ethanol in the winter with blends between 70-85% ethanol during spring & fall when they transition between the summer & winter fuel.

True regardless of the ethanol content it is still called e-85. And the extra 15% didn't help that much my car had a heck of a time getting started this morning reminded me of an old carb car :(.

Some excellent points guys...Thank You...I didn't know they change the Ethanol content in colder climates (that sounds like it could be a problem here for sure). I now realize the hard-start issues after reading this and searching/reading more about it. And yes Otto....street boost is 22 max, the car gets no traction now...I would only turn it up at the track w/ race gas. Seems like more cons then pros for my area...I'm going to switch back....anyone for some 120lb injectors? :biggrin: Thanks again for everyones feedback....On a positive note, I do have Sunoco 100 Octane avaliable from the pump 8 miles from my house, I can always mix some of that too....I do that in my old Superbee now.