Bought a we4... no crank... no SES

turbopat

Long story short... I bought a one owner low mileage we4.. it has sat for 10+ years... I’ve done my due diligence and got all fluids changed and made sure the car would turn over easily by hand after I soaked the cylinders...
I put a hot battery in the car... key in and to run I get my new fuel pump priming... all is good there... no ecm light yet... I then attempt to turn it over and nothing... no starter no crank... no SES? I went to the vortexbuicks chart and am not seeing my issue because it tells me to refer to some other pic not on the chart.. any ideas before I get deeper?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you need an ses to confirm power to ecm..no lamp no power no way in hell it will start
the no crank could just be a dead starter from being layed up for so long ..or there could be a starter interrupt either previous owner installed or factory security

Thanks for the reply Paul. Are you saying for sure I don’t have power to the ecm by what I’ve posted? Also, I do suspect that the starter needs changed as well... does the SES light come on while cranking or just with the key in run?

Thanks! I’m going to check fuses in the afternoon tomorrow. I have a couple stock replacements that I can swap in as well

get your voltmeter out, you are gonna need it. Does it have power at the starter? Does it have power at the ecm? There are some fusiblelinks that could be a cause. A security system as pointed out above. Or just some old fashion corrosion from sitting.

you need an ses to confirm power to ecm..no lamp no power no way in hell it will start
the no crank could just be a dead starter from being layed up for so long ..or there could be a starter interrupt either previous owner installed or factory security
Maybe a kirbans setup...

First turn on the lights.

Get a volt meter to check starter is getting power.

Is the orange wire plugged up ?

key in and to run I get my new fuel pump priming..
Ecm is getting power, or the fuel pump would not cycle.

I wasn’t getting notifications from here and decided to check... I agree that the pump shouldn’t have been working but swapped a known good ecm as recommended.... I’m just lost as to what would make the car not even click at the starter?? I’ve had bad starters and don’t they usually click just not crank?

I 2nd to get a voltmeter and start checking with a wiring diagram. Check those fusible links at the starter that run to the engine side of the fuse block on the fire wall. Mine was very loose. The firewall was just painted and it wasnt properly seated ( screwed) into the fuseblock ( interior) side, it wasn't making full contact and my starter was never getting the signal to crank.

I’ve had a starter on my GN stop working..no clicking or any noise. Swapped it out and it started right up.
But first I would check the fuseable links before you start swapping parts out.
Sounds like the ecm works since your fuel pump was priming.

Before you pull the starter, give it a couple whacks, w/ a hammer.
If possible, have someone hold the key in the start position.

Have you checked to see if the solenoid wire is hot with a test light when the key is in the crank position? If it's not its not the starter.

Check the wiring with these in hand

Attachments

• 1987TurboRegalWiringDiagram in color (2).jpg
    1987TurboRegalWiringDiagram in color (2).jpg
    603.4 KB · Views: 65
  • bulkhead_fusebox.jpg
    bulkhead_fusebox.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 70
Before you pull the starter, give it a couple whacks, w/ a hammer.
If possible, have someone hold the key in the start position.
Had to do that with my 78 Chevy P/U and now with my tractor .

Can anyone see if something is missing? My other tr’s have more wires for sure... car has no power options..
0eec39c771d986b22ba779d0627c6e44.jpg