Bought a 1989 Mustang LX

T Rubble

Hey guys, I've been lurking around these forums for a while just haven't posted too often. I needed a reason to post a show off a few pics I have of my cars. I'll throw in one of the WE4 as well.
255058j.jpg

a28wu1.jpg

What do you think? Got the mustang for cheap and it runs and drives perfect, only it is a 4 cylinder convertible with red interior. Any of you know anything about fords? I've only ever worked with GM cars. I think it may get a junkyard 5.0 or something swapped in eventually.

I was almost excited for you till i saw that it was a 4 cyl vert :frown:

I wouldnt do much to it unless you plan on going well beyond stock performance... theres a point where it all comes together money wise (the difference between starting with a 4 banger and a 5.0) and thats probably somewhere in the mid 11s I'd say. At that point you'll have changed all of the same things on either car.

I've had several friends with Notchback 5.0s

Did a trick flow power package on one, suspension too, pretty badass car, easy to work on, fun to drive (though they have one hell of a tendency to snap spin on you)
They are like the shoebox chevy of the late 20th century.

btw Badass we4

I have been messing with 5.0s since highschool. I have had lots of different combos, but enjoy the blower on a 5.8 swap the best so far. The only time I could justify a 4 banger to 5.0 swap would be an all out strip car and I found a rust free coupe or hatch dirt cheap. For a street car, by the time you get it done you could have bought a decent 5.0. I like the SVO turbo swap Idea, you dont see that every day.

I may end up just using it as a cheap DD, good mileage, cheap parts , and believe it or not faster than what I am currently using as a DD. 1981 Mercedes 240d with 67 hp this car has a ****ping 88hp

(though they have one hell of a tendency to snap spin on you)

Aint that the truth. The first day I had my '89 convertible I spun it out on a decreasing radius on ramp. Luckily I didn't hit anything. Another time I managed a complete 360 degree spin, entering the interstate in the rain. I managed to grab 2nd and keep going before I got run over.

It wasn't like this was my first Mustang either. I traded my 1986 GT convertible, but it would only snap spin on ice.

Definitely not the car you give to a teenager, unless you take out a big life insurance policy on them, first.

For a street car, by the time you get it done you could have bought a decent 5.0.

That's funny you mention that. I used to work with 2 guys that both had 4 cylinder fox bodies that they eventually converted to EFI 5.0's. Not sure why they just didn't sell it and buy a 5.0 car if it's really cheaper to start off with a 5.0 car.

Those engines were found in the 1984-1986 Mustangs SVO's, from what I have gathered 1986 was the best year. (not sure why) But I have heard of people going 9's in the 1/4 with a turbo 2.3 :eek:.

How much do you figure the swap would cost? For comparison's sake lets just say to a stock 5.0. I'd do all the work myself.

You can look in craigslist, ebay and mustang forums to get an idea of cost for parts. Cost really depends on deals you find. I would recommend corral.net it is one of the best mustang info websites. It also has a huge classifieds section. It also has several threads that detail step by step how to do the swap. When I did my first 351 swap, I got all my info from that site. If its been done to a mustang, it can be found on the corral. I still vote for the SVO turbo swap, I would like to see that. If you kept those rims and didnt change anything else on the car it would be a great sleeper. I have seen a few decent 5.0s recently sell for under 3k the cheapest being $1500. Thats pretty cheap to start with.

Aint that the truth. The first day I had my '89 convertible I spun it out on a decreasing radius on ramp. Luckily I didn't hit anything. Another time I managed a complete 360 degree spin, entering the interstate in the rain. I managed to grab 2nd and keep going before I got run over.

It wasn't like this was my first Mustang either. I traded my 1986 GT convertible, but it would only snap spin on ice.

Definitely not the car you give to a teenager, unless you take out a big life insurance policy on them, first.

My first car when I was 16 was a Black 87 GT 5.0 with a 5 speed. I conviced my dad to let me get it with my life savings from working on my grandparents farm. The first cold rain we had I spun the car out on a 2 lane road attempting to pass antother car. I managed to keep it on the road, but learned to respect cars and road conditions ever since.