Boost Issue's for Bracket Racin!!

Tony Shoaff

I need some help in this issue:confused: I need a way to stage my car, Set the trans brake, build 10lbs.boost and stop in less than 3sec, Launch the car, build boost to 25-30 lbs and stop@ WOT. What does it take to achieve this control?? My combo is in the Sig. I need some honest help here? Anyone/Everyone welcome and If you don't know do not reply please!:eek: Thanks.

If you're talking about bracket racing with a 3 amber tree and you're shooting for 'very good' reaction times, you will need less than 3 seconds to build your staging boost level. Some starters are very quick at bringing down the lights after the last person stages. You should really plan on being able to reach your staging boost mark in .5 to 1.0 seconds. That will be very hard to do without nitrous assist.

Your sig doesn't show anything about the turbine housing you're using.

.63 the smallest you can get, Right? There is a 2 sec. delay at times and less other times. What nos system do you use Donnie? I have thought about going that route.Thanks. The car is hard to dial because of more or less staging time to build boost. If I stage the car first and get on the button to soon there will be more than 10-11lbs of boost and I will either breakout or ignite the tires. If I wait until the first yellow comes down I have no boost and my 60ft sucks. Any suggestions?? I think they are running again this weekend.

I know exactly what you're talking about with the varying amounts of time you have after staging. That's why you must be able to get to that launching boost target quickly. If you do decide to spray a little to spool, you will need to go to the next larger a/r. .63 may be too small with nitrous. The spool up could get too aggressive to accurately control with a staging boost level target.

I use a custom port injection system with a hp rating of around 200. You don't need that much with a small turbo. I would use a 50 to 75 shot single nozzle system. Some of the other guys are using this type system with very good results. If you do decide to use nitrous, even if you have a nitrous guru helping you, learn all you can about nitrous. Done right, it can be very reliable. Done wrong, and you will be out of the racing circuit for quite awhile putting the pieces back together.

So I guess there is no other way to get the boost I need without NOS? I know very little about NOS. I know there is a kit you can buy that works off the transbrake? Do you recommend a kit of choice? How would I stop the boost level from going to high with NOS??

If the target is the very best reaction time possible, and really, that should be the target because a turbo car is going to need all the help it can get to be consistent enough to win a bracket contest, then you need to use a procedure during staging and launching that is consistent.

This is what I do.
I finish staging with a slight load on the engine, 2000 rpm. I set the transbrake and go WOT. When I set the transbrake, it powers up a 2 circuit timer delay box. As soon as I notice the first amber light, I release the transbrake button. This begins the timer delay countdowns. At a preset amount of time after the release of the transbrake button, the first timer activates the nitrous system which has a manifold pressure switch in the circuit to shut the nitrous down when 16 psi has been reached. A preset amount of time after the nitrous system has been activated, the 2nd timer delay releases the transbrake solenoid and off you go. This will net you reaction times that will make the n/a guys scratch their heads and say, "Turbo cars aren't supposed to react like that."

You can play with the timer delay setting for the nitrous system until you get the launch attitude you're looking for. No need for a staging rev limiter.

If the turbo will spool faster I can hit he button when the first amber comes down and let go on the 3rd amber. That will be the most consistent way I know of??

If the turbo will spool faster I can hit he button when the first amber comes down and let go on the 3rd amber. That will be the most consistent way I know of??

Check the editing of my last post.

The problem with doing it that way is it all depends on you're setup whether it will work or not. Hitting the nitrous on the first amber will usually give you too much boost by the time you release the transbrake button. It really depends on the amount of nitrous, the size of your turbo, exhaust housing size and a/r, etc. The timer delays allow you to tune in your setup to an acceptable level no matter what your combination is.

I cover my nitrous system setup in detail in the 'Alcohol, Nitrous and Propane Tech' section. The title of the thread is 'Advancement of Fuel Delivery?'

That sounds good and I will be able to us a delay box because they have moved me to the Super Pro class and they all run delay boxes. I really would like to win a race or two next year bracket racin:). thanks for the advise Donnie. Now I have more to work on over the winter down time. Donnie do you run a external wastegate??

That sounds good and I will be able to us a delay box because they have moved me to the Super Pro class and they all run delay boxes. I really would like to win a race or two next year bracket racin:). thanks for the advise Donnie. Now I have more to work on over the winter down time. Donnie do you run a external wastegate??

Yes! The nitrous will add much more exhaust volume. Make sure the wastegate is sized accordingly.

I was reading some old post and Patrick said he recommends not running NOS with a factory ECM? What I am running of coarse?

I was reading some old post and Patrick said he recommends not running NOS with a factory ECM? What I am running of coarse?

I'm sure it could be done. Like I stated, learn all you can about nitrous first. Start building your library.