Bob Bailey ignition module

Bob, I've used MSD wires for years now. Very reliable and high quality. I worked with an engineer at Packard (Delphi now) who told me that Delphi bought MSD ignition cable for all their performance applications. That tells me that MSD is high quality.

For all the DIYier's: I buy the MSD components separately and make my own wires from scratch. MSD offers all the right boots for LS style coils and a plethora of choices on plug boots. I highly recommend buying the MSD crimpers. They beat the snot out of the silly plastic crimping block.

the aluminum crimping blocks work ok if you are only doing a few sets. Beyond that real, heavy-duty ignition terminal crimpers are required. The cheapie crimping pliers will not work, for sure.

Bob

Since I just bought a bunch of this stuff for my 5th Gen Camaro, I thought I'd share links to the parts. I'm guessing that the LS3 coils use the same plug wires, mounting bracket, etc. as the recommended LS2 coils.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS1-LS6-coi...Parts_Accessories&hash=item43a9492ba2&vxp=mtr Coil pack holders. You will likely need some other spacers to do 3 coils per bracket, instead of the intended 4.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-31193/ MSD 8.5mm plug wires (set of 8 plus 1 for coil)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-3304/ 45 degree boots (packs of 2ea)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-43395/ Aluminum crimping tool

And if you want to dress it up (these are blue, but other colors are available)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-010532/ Blue protect-a-boots (set of 8)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DEI-010632/ Blue protect-a-wire (one roll)

Mind you, I haven't made very many plug wires of the years. This is a bear for the inexperienced person! FYI, I used baby powder on the plug wires to get the protect-a-wire to slide over them and even that takes quite a bit of patience. Also, to get the coil end on, I had to spray tire wax within the boot on the plug wire. Hope this helps someone! If you have better tips, please share!

that same guy has brackets for 6 coils. That said, you still need to mount them to the valve covers, so there is a little fab work as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LS2-LS3-coi...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item33695b28f7

the coils in his pictures are the correct 12573190 coils.

The Magnecor 'fancy' wires are red, they have other colors for their 'plain' wires.

Bob
Ordered your setup with the new wastespark coil and going to make my own wires , what is the style boot called that I need to go with this new coil?

for those wanting to tackle making their own plug wires,

for the straight boots for the LS style coilpack, you can use Taylor 46052

for the right-angle boots for the wastespark pack, you can use Taylor 46067

Bob

Ordered your setup with the new wastespark coil and going to make my own wires , what is the style boot called that I need to go with this new coil?

what was the last name on that order (or the shipping zip code)? I would like to keep names and orders organized.

Bob

whats the ship-to zip code?

everyone who has ordered is in the first run of units that will be done the first week of May.

Bob

I contacted the company who makes the coil brackets for the V6 and I need to make a template to see if they will fit. Others with Stage 2 engines might want to check their covers as well.
Mike,
Thank you for your inquiry and sorry for the delay as we are closed on weekends. The brackets are approximately 6" long, 3.5" wide and 1.25" high without coils installed. They are approximately 6.75" long, 4.25" wide and 2.75" high with the coils installed. The $109.99 price is for a pair of brackets that hold 3 coils per bracket. Please let us know if you have any questions at all. Thanks again.

-Brent
Custom Built Motors
Mike

Let us know how they fit, can you check them on a set of stock valve covers as well?

Bob

Let us know how they fit, can you check them on a set of stock valve covers as well?

Bob
I have GN1 covers with a couple of custom items welded in, there is just not enough real estate for these brackets.
Mike

I wanted to share some thoughts/opinions on spark plug gap. Its a question that gets asked a lot when discussing ignition upgrades. This system packs a pretty good punch, and you could really open the gap way up. at modest boost levels, (20-ish psi) you could easily run .050 gap. But there is a downside to really wide gaps. As the plugs get a little carbon built up on them and/or lead deposits, there is a point where its easier for the spark energy to follow the deposits instead of jumping the gap.

So, research and discussions have led me to the following suggestions: Using typical plugs (everyone has a 'favorite'), .040 should be good to about the 10.99 power level.

10.50 to 10.99 I think .035 is a good place to start. and faster than 10.50 I would gap them at .030 to .032

These are, of course, estimates and everyones car will be a little different.

If you run leaded fuel, change the plugs often.

If you want to try .050 or .060 gap, let me know how it goes, it will probably run great but you will want to change your plugs now and then....

Comments + opinions welcome...

Bob

Would having a voltage booster negatively effect the module?

Would having a voltage booster negatively effect the module?

I have run it with and without a volt booster, and it is not a problem. I was running the booster because I was trying to feed 80 lb injectors from a single Walbro.

I took the booster off when I installed the double pumper.

Bob

I'm sure this is an engine 101 question but what is the advantage of a wider spark plug gap? Fuel economy, power, both?

My car runs great on the street and at the strip using a .032 gap and I'm hesitant to run anything wider, even with this module, unless there is a good reason. I change my plugs every year/10k miles. NGK UR5's and they usually look and perform great still when I remove them. 91/alky tune.

the wider gaps can help light less than ideal mixtures, e85 cold starts and warmups, and lean cruise can be smoother.

If your car runs well on .032, there is no reason that you 'have to' widen the gap.

But try .040 on your next set of plugs and let me know if you notice anything.

Bob

the wider gaps can help light less than ideal mixtures, e85 cold starts and warmups, and lean cruise can be smoother.

If your car runs well on .032, there is no reason that you 'have to' widen the gap.

But try .040 on your next set of plugs and let me know if you notice anything.

Bob

Will do. Love the lean cruise btw, but it could be a bit smoother now that you mention it. I'll try the .040 gap and let everyone here know if it clears it up. This module will be one of the last pieces of the puzzle to make my car ultra reliable. Thanks for the help.

What are some signs of too wide spark plug gap? Spark blowout I imagine? Also too tight gap?

When should it be closed or opened? Increase/decrease in boost and ignition power?

Thanks