Ignition Module Problems?

Justa6MB

I've be been reading this afternoon on ignition module problems. My car popped a couple times under boost and started to miss at low throttle when hot. So I pulled the coil and ignition module apart and found a crack in the yellow goop. Assumed that the 28 year old module crapped out so ordered another one from Rock Auto. I re-used the casper's coil and put it together making sure the wires are on the right terminals. Tried to start it and it will fire, and run very rough with throttle but something is definitely not right. I put the stock coil on it and did the same thing. I thought perhaps the wiring needed to be different on some ignition modules? IT is a Stardard T series module #LX338T. 9744, CA5 & USA are stamped on it. I read about grounding of the could be a problem, and that plenty of modules are bad. Looking for advise or suggestions.

I had a similar issue I replaced both the ignition module and the coil pack and worked great after that. I bought the Auto zone stuff and all still currently working for me.

Since your problem got worse after working on the ICM and coils, I suspect you may have bad spark plug
wires. You disturbing them, amplified the problem.

The ignition module and coil pack i like to keep them as a set, so if either one goes bad i replace both. I've learned over the years that buying them local with a lifetime warranty allows me to do this without any out of pocket cost to me. I use the Autozone ignition module and it works good for me. I use the coil pack from O'Reilly's it's a Borg Warner Div. (BWD) brand and it works good for me.
If these parts weren't any good i wouldn't have them on my car no matter how good the warranty was. The stores stand behind the warranties and if i have the slightest doubt about these parts the stores will replace them for me even if they test good in the store,kind of hard to beat that kind of service.

For plug wires i've found the Autozone Bosch premium wireset to work good and for less than $30.00 with a lifetime warranty they too are hard to beat.
http://www.autozone.com/ignition-tu.../6-cylinders-7-3-8l-sfi-ohv-turbo/241726_0_0/

i spent a month with different brands from oreillys,and autozone.i had previous issues and the autozone worked fine.
but the last time i had to find someone on craigslist that had one in a bucket that was an original tb ign and coil,boom, it worked.
just for $hits and giggles i stuck both of the others i had on and no worky.i was even on the phone with the makers of one of the devices(wells i believe)
try a known good one is my best guess.
where are you located,i still have that setup on a shelf,i got fed up with it and went with bobs tr6.i could mail to you to try if you cant find one local to try.

Thanks for the offer greeneyegi, appreciate it. But I'm in Canada so shipping's a pita... But I found one at wrecker and after pissing around with 3 different combo's it fired up and ran. But then stumbled again. So I hooked up the powerlogger and I've got another problem now... Starts great and idles fine for a minute then blm's got from 128 to 141 and it starts to miss, and it's running pig rich at idle. Hit the gas and it's fine. So I'll likely make a new post about high blm's - o2 sensor fowled???

Thanks for the offer greeneyegi, appreciate it. But I'm in Canada so shipping's a pita... But I found one at wrecker and after pissing around with 3 different combo's it fired up and ran. But then stumbled again. So I hooked up the powerlogger and I've got another problem now... Starts great and idles fine for a minute then blm's got from 128 to 141 and it starts to miss, and it's running pig rich at idle. Hit the gas and it's fine. So I'll likely make a new post about high blm's - o2 sensor fowled???
Now that you have powerlogger it should be easier.check the map sensor.I bought a vac/pressure gun, it worked great for that test.