Bob Bailey ignition module

yeah, its not the switch settings. The harness appeared to be fine, although I couldn't run it on the car as it does not fit my coils.

I ran it on my car, made lots of full throttle blasts. I have logs, but they don't show any issues. This was with individual LS1 coils.

There are several guys running the LS2's without issue, although the eBay coils have been inconsistent with regards to quality.

I can loan you my coils and harness, but they don't mount the same.

Bob

I am having some issues with my TR6 and XFI BEING stuck in base timing mode (10*). I have checked the timing with a timing light and timing is showing 10*. Can not change base timing in XFI. Cam sensor is correct with mode 3, marked of 1.45" ATDC and #1 TDC. In mode 3 and car running, the tach is maxed out (6000rpm) . TR6 is throwing a code 13. And yes, I have updated the firmware and software via Bob. Car ran great with stock ECU, but now with XFI it runs as if it is overloading extremely.

Clint

Sent from my iPhone using Turbo Buick

Its not a code 13, the run LED is blinking steady which indicates the module is running in base timing mode. If the base timing switch is not on in the module, then the EST output from the XFI is not being received by the module.

If you had one of my 2-steps installed before, make sure the white wire is properly reconnected.

Bob

TurboBob said:
Its not a code 13, the run LED is blinking steady which indicates the module is running in base timing mode. If the base timing switch is not on in the module, then the EST output from the XFI is not being received by the module.

If you had one of my 2-steps installed before, make sure the white wire is properly reconnected.

Bob

Bob,

I will give you a call in a little bit.

now is not a good time to call.

the blinking code in the one video is a 31, not a 13, and then engine is not running at the time, so I assume you were adjusting the cam sensor at that point....

Bob

The error code is also flashing when running also. I will video that and send it to you. I will check the EST wiring and check continuity.

Sounds like a great idea ;)
now is not a good time to call.

the blinking code in the one video is a 31, not a 13, and then engine is not running at the time, so I assume you were adjusting the cam sensor at that point....

Bob

Cal/Bob,

I verified the continuity of the EST wire tonight as well as the CRANK Reference LO and CRANK Reference High. I verified continuity of the three from the ECU to the weather pack at the ignition module. Everything was good.

So with the TR6 in mode 4, I check the timing one last time time. Still the same. I then increased the rpms ans check the timing; it still read 10*

I changed out TR6 with an stock ignition module and the car wouldn't even start. It would crank and crank and try to fire. Then all of a sudden, she would back fire loudly out the exhaust... Sounded like I was shooting a gun in my garage.

I am starting to not like the fast and tr6, cause of this non running issue. Anyone willing to help or give ideas, please let me know.

Clinton

Cal/Bob,

I verified the continuity of the EST wire tonight as well as the CRANK Reference LO and CRANK Reference High. I verified continuity of the three from the ECU to the weather pack at the ignition module. Everything was good.

So with the TR6 in mode 4, I check the timing one last time time. Still the same. I then increased the rpms ans check the timing; it still read 10*

I changed out TR6 with an stock ignition module and the car wouldn't even start. It would crank and crank and try to fire. Then all of a sudden, she would back fire loudly out the exhaust... Sounded like I was shooting a gun in my garage.

I am starting to not like the fast and tr6, cause of this non running issue. Anyone willing to help or give ideas, please let me know.

Clinton

The backfire sounds like a cam sensor that is just a tiny bit out of adjustment. I've had the same issue a couple of times and it was always corrected with a tweek of the cam sensor. I set mine and then tweek it based upon how well the car restarts. My car ran fine for a couple of months but would backfire on startup every once in a while like that and this fixed it.

It could also just be backfiring from fuel load from not starting properly too. Just thought I'd offer my .02.

Good luck with your gremlin.

the cam sensor is not the issue. the tr6 is not setting any codes when running. The blinking run light means that its running at base timing (as you have verified).

running at base timing can be caused by 4 things in the TR6.

The base timing switch being on (its not)
The EST signal not being received (you checked continuity)
The Bypass signal not being received
The EST signal being "wrong" (I.e. timing wayyy out of range)

The stock module not running is indicative of some issue with the EST, since if the bypass were disconnected the module would run in crank mode.

The diagnostics for the EST and Bypass are not enabled in the current TR6 software, this is the first occaision where they have been needed.
I'll look at getting them activated this weekend.

Do you still have your stock ECM? you can plug it in, even without a MAF or all that and the car should start and run. You can then validate that both the stock module and TR6 start and run.

Bob

The backfire sounds like a cam sensor that is just a tiny bit out of adjustment. I've had the same issue a couple of times and it was always corrected with a tweek of the cam sensor. I set mine and then tweek it based upon how well the car restarts. My car ran fine for a couple of months but would backfire on startup every once in a while like that and this fixed it.

It could also just be backfiring from fuel load from not starting properly too. Just thought I'd offer my .02.

Good luck with your gremlin.

I NAMED HER CHRISTINE!!!!

the cam sensor is not the issue. the tr6 is not setting any codes when running. The blinking run light means that its running at base timing (as you have verified).

running at base timing can be caused by 4 things in the TR6.

The base timing switch being on (its not)
The EST signal not being received (you checked continuity)
The Bypass signal not being received
The EST signal being "wrong" (I.e. timing wayyy out of range)

The stock module not running is indicative of some issue with the EST, since if the bypass were disconnected the module would run in crank mode.

The diagnostics for the EST and Bypass are not enabled in the current TR6 software, this is the first occaision where they have been needed.
I'll look at getting them activated this weekend.

Do you still have your stock ECM? you can plug it in, even without a MAF or all that and the car should start and run. You can then validate that both the stock module and TR6 start and run.

Bob

Sounds good. Let me know when you get the update done and I will try that out. I have an EST coming in the mail. I am going to change it out and see what happens also.

I will check both coils with stock ECM...... Just will have to change injectors out.... No big deal to solve a issue.

I think you have my number in one of my emails. Thanks.......

turbotroy said:
I hear ya on the dynamite, yeah I can take a ride down. Whats a good time for you?

Tomorrow I may go watch Test-n-Tune at SIR in the morning. Have to check with the boss to see if she wants to do anything tomorrow afternoon... PM me your number and I will give ya a call tonight when I get home from work and speak to her.

Tomorrow I may go watch Test-n-Tune at SIR in the morning. Have to check with the boss to see if she wants to do anything tomorrow afternoon... PM me your number and I will give ya a call tonight when I get home from work and speak to her.

Pm sent

Cal/Bob,

Clinton

if swapping to the stock module did not fix things, it looks like the TR6 is not causing the issue.

what injectors did you have before? If they were at lease 80's or so, I say throw the stock ECM in and see if it will fire and rev. (then shut it back off...) would be a quick test and tell us a lot.....

when you measured continuity, did you measure from the FAST connector, thru the interface, all the way to the module?

Do you have the GCT file from the FAST, and a log?

Bob