Bob Bailey ignition module

Bob, Have a question about your setup... Once you purchase the system with the wastespark, is it to much of an issue to upgrade to the coil on plug?

the box is the same, so to change from the coilpack to individual coils is a matter of mounting the new coils and switching to the individual coil harness. Then you switch the box out of wastespark mode.

Bob

Brackets are still "in development" I'm running LS1 coils mounted to bosses that are welded to the valve covers.

I'm running AC CR43TS and they are gapped at .035 if I remember correctly.

Bob

Is the ignition improvement the same when using wastespark or coil-on-plug? Have you noticed an improvement with E85?

They run the same on my car (same improvement)

I'm running the LS1 coils because I mounted them back in 2005 when I originally started messing with this. When I switch to the coilpack, it runs the same.

Bob

Thanks for clearing that up Bob. Still chasing down why my CNP setup is running rough when ever my car goes into boost (runs better then ever otherwise).
Your wisdom is appriciated as always.

Brian B

When you say "goes into boost" do you mean at 1 psi, 10 psi, 20 psi.?

How much total boost are you trying to run?

What "electronic" boost control are you using?

Still on pump gas?

Bob

When you say "goes into boost" do you mean at 1 psi, 10 psi, 20 psi.?

How much total boost are you trying to run?

What "electronic" boost control are you using?

Still on pump gas?

Bob

It starts to run rough right at 1-5 psi of boost.

I'm running 20 psi with 93 and alky.

AFR is 10.8-11.

I'm using a Deeds electronic boost controller (I think they used to be Innovate???).

Timeing is 21 deg.

I put my stock coil and module back on and gapped my Autolite 23s back to .032 and the problem goes away.

I ohmed the 11 inch Magnacor plug wires and they were all consistant at 1.53-1.54 ohms.

I'll post up a powerlogger file tonight. It's easy to see right where it starts running rough, there is a slight dip in rpms even though tps and boost rise normally.

Brian B

Yeah, I think Deeds is the same as Innovative, and Turbonetics.

Send me an email and we can get you set up. It sounds like a coil is dropping. I want to see what RPM it happens at.

Bob

Here is the PL file.

Right at 27.446 seconds into the file it starts to break up. It is at 10 psi NOT 1psi like I initially thought and at 3550-3600rpms. It doesn't completely fall on its face like if the plugs are getting blown out. More like it just doesn't pick up any power as the boost goes up. As you can see from the file MPH hardly rise with boost and rpm.

Thanks

Brian B

Attachments

• breakup.dat
    63.9 KB · Views: 53
thats odd.

I'm sending you my spare coilpack and some truck style wires to try, should go out today.

Bob

just shipped out.

Bob
Got the waste spark coil pack, harness and plug wires today.

Swapped them out, took it for a ride and all seems good. Ran it up to 20psi a few times an it pulled smooth.

So..it must be the LS coil/s or the harness that has a problem.

I'll shoot you an e-mail tomorrow Bob.

have had mine almost a week now bob ,took care of all my lil bobles and misses.loving it and thanksfor quick shipment and reasonable price.

Bob. I started my car the other day and it puffed(?) when turning over but didn't start. I then started the car but then saw a code 12 flashing on my tac that indicated cam sync error. There is really no movement on my sensor side to side or up and down. I have the rjc cam sensor tab fix thing too. I have a couple new cam sensors around. I've read that the cam sensor should just be replaced every so often and I have 80+k on my original cam sensor yet. The code has not come back since. Should I investigate further, just throw a new cam sensor in with rjc tab, or just not worry about it?

More than likely that is related to the re-crank. Was the engine cold or warm, and do you use the "mini" starter? I think its the diagnostic getting confused by slow cranking speed or stall and re-crank.

Most likely your cam sensor is ok.

The RJC piece is good insurance, I will be putting one on my car soon.

Bob

The car was 3 days cold. I use a reman stock starter. Do I need to clear the code? Thank you!

the code clears itself when you key off,

Keep an eye on it, if the code pops up again we can look at a software update. (I think the code is oversensitive)

Bob

i notice this code when i have to crank a few times while in an area of my cranking fuel table (xfi) thats not 100% right. It will crank then i release the key and crank again. Thats usually when the code pops up.

HI Bob;

Have you had a chance to check out the LS-2 coils and harness that I sent back to you?

Brian B