Blown Head gasket Pics

dynoman

TurboBuick.Com Supporter!
I decided to pull the head after getting low compression (20 & 50 psi ) in the last 2 cylinders and this is what I found . My question is are these "normal" head gaskets ? I can't find any ID # on them anywhere. Can I mic them for thickness and should I measure bore ID ? The motor is suppose to be .030 over.
Thanks Sam

Attachments

• 0824102015.jpg
    0824102015.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 816
  • 0824102015a.jpg
    0824102015a.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 830
I decided to pull the head after getting low compression (20 & 50 psi ) in the last 2 cylinders and this is what I found . My question is are these "normal" head gaskets ? I can't find any ID # on them anywhere. Can I mic them for thickness and should I measure bore ID ? The motor is suppose to be .030 over.
Thanks Sam

They look like cometics

They look like a MLS, multi layer steel. Possibly Cometics? What happened?:eek: Phil.

I was tracking down what sounded like an exhaust leak. I found a bad header gasket , cracked collector, and while I had it apart I checked compression which was low on that side. I had a gauge on the fuel rail that I adjusted pressure to and it turned out to be reading 9 psi low :eek:. I was getting knock and backfiring. After straightening out the FP problem it seemed to run great with no KR but was making the exhaust leak sound . See what a bad gauge can cause, double check everything !!!!
Phil where in upstate NY are you ? I'm near Rochester.

When I bought my Turbo Trans Am, it also had a fuel pressure gauge mounted on the fuel rail. It also had one inside the car on the "A" pillar. I was told that the A pillar gauge was broken. I confirmed that as fact and figured no big deal. I replaced it. It was then that I discovered that the underhood gauge was reading 17 psi higher than actual.. so actual fuel pressure at the rail was only 26 - instead of 43. Needless to say, I'll never use fewer than 2 gauges - and both of them HAVE to be working and in agreement with each other.

FWIW, Most of the mini type, rail mtd gauges I check on the inj bench, are JUNK....
From as little as 3psi to near 10 off......

Mini-gauges: "3 to 10 psi off" That can certainly be true. But mine (so far) tracks with my in-car Autometer. So I always check them both when making a regulator adjustment. If they don't track together, I don't drive the car until I find out why.

Are you kidding me? There is no way that gasket ran "normal". You would have found that by diagnosing the driveability problem that you I guess didnt hear or feel??

And BTW, under load that would have probably whistled... or at least a fweefweefweefweee

When I say it ran "great" I mean that there was no KR or backfires and it ran "great" only for a short run before I noticed the leak. It must have let go right during or just after that run because I was under to car fixing the leaking crossover pipe from driverside header just before that and the HG wasn't leaking then. :confused:

Honestly you'd think your BLM's would have been so far out of whack you'd have known there was something wrong if you only had 26#'s of fuel pressure.

I'll admit that I'm guilty of trying to rationalize an obvious problem myself occasionally though. :rolleyes:

Are you kidding me? There is no way that gasket ran "normal". You would have found that by diagnosing the driveability problem that you I guess didnt hear or feel??

And BTW, under load that would have probably whistled... or at least a fweefweefweefweee

I had cometic hg that looked real similar and had no issues. Never knew till I pulled the heads for other reasons. The design of these gaskets (multi layer) allows to stay sealed up even though one layer is damaged. It's a beautiful thing.

This thing sounded just like a real bad header gasket no whistling at all. The only difference was when I shut off the car the last piston stroke, as the motor was stopping, sounded like a short blow-off. There were no BLM problems before and I wasn't recording at the time it let go. My FP gauge said 42 psi but it was 33 psi ( @ idle) before I corrected it thats when I had driveability problems .
I'm thinking of using SCE titan gaskets anyone use them ??
Thanks Sam

blown head gasket

I recently bought a second 87 grand national all stock w/a blown head gasket to fix and flip, It's very clean 68k mile original paint, window sticker, and all the books in the glove box. Getting back to my question I was planning on using felpro 9441 head gaskets and ARP head bolts, but having not been down this road before on one of these I thought I should ask the forum for advice in regards to the quality and reliability of these parts on a stock GN well stock meaning adj FP hot wire 18psi pump gas TT chip with stock turbo, cam, heads, intake, ect.