Blew head gasket and "burnt" the block...

mikesvwservice

Went on another top end record run after installing the Translator, LT1 maf, and Big Mouth cold air kit.

Got up to 152mph, 25 psi boost (with alky), o2 at 768, no knock, still building speed but smelled oil and stopped the run. Got back to my shop - oil everywhere :mad:

Just pulled the head and #1 blew into the intake valley and "burnt" a couple of spots on the block - see photos.

I can put a .020 round feeler gauge on the deepest of the two. It did not burn the opening of the cylinder bore, but is a little low where the fire ring of the head gasket will be.

My question is: Can I "fill" the low areas on the block with JB Weld or something like that to "level out" the sealing area for the head gasket?

Thanks in advance guys...

Attachments

• MVC-098S.JPG
    MVC-098S.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 527
I wouldnt try anything but taking the engine out and having it decked. I wouldnt go with stock head gaskets for 20+psi for a long time unless they are run with wire o-rings. Too much pressure in OD to run WOT that long. I would get your cylinder heads modded by champion to reduce the chance of this type of failure. I would put in the cometics and a girdle if you plan on during these OD, 30 sec WOT speed runs.

RICHIE HIGH PSI said:
152 MPH???
WHAT are you reading this with?
i dont think your 009's will go that fast.
Richie
Hes not talking about the quarter trap mph. I went 163 mph with 36lb blue tops and alky injection long ago when i was really crazy.

RICHIE HIGH PSI said:
163 mph in a buick would mean about 7500 rpm. I call B.S.
Richie
Torque converter locked, .67 OD, 28in drag radial, 3.42 gears. Check your math again bro. You need to do better math before you call BS.

I have a 145 mph speedo and it was "pegged" early in the run. Scanmaster said 152 mph...

Bummer, I am hoping to "patch" this up till I get a Grooms rebuild...

He must be talking about out on the open road, certainly not the drag strip. :eek:

Man I have never seen that. I notice the HG's have some orange stuff on them. Wonder if that was from a previous HG failure. I have blown my share of HG's.. never seen where its burnt into the block. Usually if you lift the head, the graphite gasket pushes out. Now if the block had previous damage, maybe they had like steel shim gaskets or something else.. then put the graphite gaskets on it.. after the fact.

What should be done, and what is typically done are two different things. If it was me, and I had planned on building another motor.. i'd put a felpro PT9441 on there.. tq it down.. bring the boost down.. and work on buidling the other motor. And keep the car running until then. Pistons dont look hurt.. take a look at the head, see if the damage is also there. If not.. then its def from a previous HG failure.

Slam it back together.. let er rip some more.

By the way.. Richie poops his pants past 130 thats why he called BS :D

Razor said:
Man I have never seen that. I notice the HG's have some orange stuff on them. Wonder if that was from a previous HG failure. I have blown my share of HG's.. never seen where its burnt into the block. Usually if you lift the head, the graphite gasket pushes out. Now if the block had previous damage, maybe they had like steel shim gaskets or something else.. then put the graphite gaskets on it.. after the fact.

What should be done, and what is typically done are two different things. If it was me, and I had planned on building another motor.. i'd put a felpro PT9441 on there.. tq it down.. bring the boost down.. and work on buidling the other motor. And keep the car running until then. Pistons dont look hurt.. take a look at the head, see if the damage is also there. If not.. then its def from a previous HG failure.

Hi Razor,

The "orange stuff" is rusty coolant. I did put a PT9441 hg on with ARP bolts (left from the #6 detonated piston fiasco) on this side and am buttoning it up. I did use a little JB Weld on the block and copper coated the hg. So far, compression is 150 - 155 psi on that cylinder and 150s on the other two. I'll be surprised if it holds, but I will turn the boost down and alert Grooms I need an engine soon. The head had a very slight depression from the gases and I JB-ed it as well. I'll keep the board posted after I get it running...

Razor said:

The "burning" into the block (or head) like what you see there is caused by an early HG blow, bollowed by extended WOT running after it blows. It's the cylinder's flame front now has a place to escape, and over the course of a couple minutes or less, it's like a cutting torch buring away the block or head material. I've seen it quite a bit on stock cars or others that run at extreme rpm for extended periods after the HG blows out.

I would dump the block too.. but would rather put a 30 dollar gasket and keep the car running.. but knowing the fuse now is really short.

I never used anything on the 9441's. Just installed them on dry and oil free surfaces. Never had an issue with sealing.

Dave, great point.. never thought of that.. keeping the motor lit after the fact.

mikesvwservice, keep things modest.. till the other shortblock is done.. when its done.. crank this one back up :biggrin:

Also

might want to stop running coolant, if its not the cold in AL, just use distilled water, all the coolant in the bottom end also gets in your turbo and bearings, thats bad news alone. Good luck Mike. I use fel-pro 1000's, I think? I've just learned i've been detonating the crap out of my engine,(new scanmaster!) havnt blown a hg yet, but good luck again. :cool:

This is a picture of a core motor I picked up after the owner thought he put a hole in the piston when a FPR vac line blew off at 22 PSI. He shut it down right away, I checked the block with a straightedge and it's perfect across the deck. I'm just going to put on mild heads/cam and run it until my "good" engine is done.

Attachments

• P1010021_resized.jpg
    P1010021_resized.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 357
Could have been worst.
This is one of the reasons I now run Alky.

Attachments

• Blown piston.jpg
    Blown piston.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 354
They need to put some writing on JB weld tubes that says "do not under any ****ing circumstances use this **** on engine decks, pistons, cylinder walls! The results will be your fault and not the fault of JB Weld Inc."
That stuff will burn through right away, and then circulate through the motor. It is not an extreme temperature epoxy.
What I used to do, is I would either deck the block, or if there wasnt enough meat left to deck, I would take a die grinder to the blown out area, and cut it about 1/16" deep or a little more. Than I would braze up the whole area, then deck it, or use a file to get it flat and then use a decking stone by hand. Not pretty but it works ALOT better than silly putty.