Blew head gasket and "burnt" the block...

petesgn said:
Hey Jerryl whats the story behind that block :eek:
I merely posted the picture because someone mentioned they never saw this before, PLUS, to make "mikesvwservice" feel a little bit better about this. :wink:

Not trying to hijack this thread .....
The story is UGLY!.
Simply stated: LOTS of ignorance on my part.

Jerryl said:
I merely posted the picture because someone mentioned they never saw this before, PLUS, to make "mikesvwservice" feel a little bit better about this. :wink:

Not trying to hijack this thread .....
The story is UGLY!.
Simply stated: LOTS of ignorance on my part.

Thanks Jerryl,

I do feel a little better after seeing those previous pictures. I searched all 4 boards for "burnt deck" and could not find anything like my deal. I think my extended "record run" caused the flame torch situation TurboDave mentioned. Oh well, I'll get a rebuild later - just bites because every step (improvement) seems to be 2 steps backwards...

Update

mikesvwservice said:
Went on another top end record run after installing the Translator, LT1 maf, and Big Mouth cold air kit.

Got up to 152mph, 25 psi boost (with alky), o2 at 768, no knock, still building speed but smelled oil and stopped the run. Got back to my shop - oil everywhere :mad:

Just pulled the head and #1 blew into the intake valley and "burnt" a couple of spots on the block - see photos.

I can put a .020 round feeler gauge on the deepest of the two. It did not burn the opening of the cylinder bore, but is a little low where the fire ring of the head gasket will be.

My question is: Can I "fill" the low areas on the block with JB Weld or something like that to "level out" the sealing area for the head gasket?

Thanks in advance guys...

Well, got back from Army and took the GN for a spin. I turned the wastegate rod out 3 turns to lower the boost. I got to 20-24 psi on boost (on Razor's alky kit) - running good and went to the car wash to degrease the engine compartment from the previous oil "spray". Got back and did another compression test of #1 - still holding 150 psi :D So far, my "smear" of JB Weld , new Felpro hg, and ARP head bolts are holding up...

Let us know when the JB blows out. If it lasts more than 1000 miles, Ill be very surprised. Is the JB exposed at all IN the cylinder, or is it just inbetween the 2 cylinders ontop of the deck, with nothing at all exposed internal?

Run'er Til She Blows!!!

I had a few spun cam bearings in my car a few years ago and a #1 spun rod bearing. I used an internal bore guage on the block and it didn't chew it up too bad....so I thought what the hell I was remodleing my house and didn't have any time or money to fix it right (rebuild another engine) and someone had bored it.060 at some time, I used some green stud and bearing locktite on some new cam bearings and a cam out of an old 84 engine laying around,(was NOS 87 cam before I put in the 84)and an autozone crank and have been beating it evey chance I get. I am going to build another engine some day as well but the damed thing keeps taking a pounding! It is kind of fun in a twisted way, when you don't care about the bottom end.:biggrin:

"Inspiration..."

ATEURV8 said:
I had a few spun cam bearings in my car a few years ago and a #1 spun rod bearing. I used an internal bore guage on the block and it didn't chew it up too bad....so I thought what the hell I was remodleing my house and didn't have any time or money to fix it right (rebuild another engine) and someone had bored it.060 at some time, I used some green stud and bearing locktite on some new cam bearings and a cam out of an old 84 engine laying around,(was NOS 87 cam before I put in the 84)and an autozone crank and have been beating it evey chance I get. I am going to build another engine some day as well but the damed thing keeps taking a pounding! It is kind of fun in a twisted way, when you don't care about the bottom end.:biggrin:

ATEURV8,

That's a cool story - hopefully my "repair" will hold out too...

Mike

VadersV6 said:
Let us know when the JB blows out. If it lasts more than 1000 miles, Ill be very surprised. Is the JB exposed at all IN the cylinder, or is it just inbetween the 2 cylinders ontop of the deck, with nothing at all exposed internal?

"or is it just inbetween the 2 cylinders ontop of the deck, with nothing at all exposed internal?"

Answer: That is exactly where the JB is - reason it is "holding up" so far. It was actually a "smear" on the deck to fill in a couple depressions ("flame scars") under the new head gasket.

Mike

Yes, but...

Blazer406 said:

Yes, it held - can't remember the compression test numbers - (I'll check my records) - but I only put 50 miles on it. After all that, I did a run with my new G-Tech device and blew #6 (again) - fuel pressure reg and wastegate hoses blew off - lesson learned - tie wrap those hoses securely...

If they get any oil on them, replace the hoses, clean off the fittings with brake cleaner, then zip tie them down.

HTH