Black Air Reviews

Does anyone got a rough idea on their shipping time for the dvds?

I already received "amazon" and "ebay" stuff that I purchased after the dvd and have receive all of that stuff, but still no dvd.

Since I haven't been a member of the turbo Buick realm for very long my perspective maybe more main stream than others who have made it their life long passion.

I just finished watching watching the Black Air DVD a second time to give it a day or two to soak in and to take notes on the positives as well as the negatives. First hats off to Andrew and all the folks it took to put together a well produced movie that fits a mainstream profile with an artistic twist.
For a self professed "non car guy" he did a phenomenal job at finding archival footage and interviewing some key players involved in bringing about the Buick Grand National from its inception to press released test drives. It documents more than just the last car to roll out of the Pontiac plant but the start of a change in a direction of Corporations and manufacturing for years to come. I know I went through the same process process as our local plant shutdown and moved its operations south of the border, but to others who haven't had to walk that mile in those shoes it may be a trivial or slow spot in the film.
As some have mentioned the Ferrari footage may have exceeded the allowable time frame a Turbo Buick fan may have tolerance for but applaud the story teller for following the story where it takes him rather than dictating it. Since Andrew did such a fine job slowing down and capturing the sights and sounds of those anxious moments between the burnout and the end of the drag strip it naturally had his most die hard fans screaming for more and more would have been appreciated.

It was fun to sit down and hear the pendulum swing of perspectives on how this car affected so many people, a fine sampling of accents and degrees of dedication some of which can be related to and some considered overboard. One thing I noticed being new to the community is TurboBuick owners have opinions and they don't mind sharing them. On the plus side there is also a wealth of knowledge and experience both technical and informational and the dedication to such which has created the following it has hopefully passing it from one generation to the next for decades to come. I have heard rumors of a part 2 possibly dedicated to the people and the years that made the car even faster and more legendary through it's Grass roots movement, that would be awesome.

I have to add if you don't mind sitting through the bonus footage that is set up more like a Town Hall meeting the speakers address and acknowledge a little more of it's racing involvement and cutting edge technology which was ahead of it's time. Many of the stories and facts they tell may already have been known by the Buick faithful but kept me like a sponge soaking it up.

Overall a well done movie that fits a time frame that can be shown on main stream TV about a car that many don't know what it is and held it own against some of the greatest cars of it's time. If someone didn't know what a Grand National was it covers almost all the basis to bring to light a special car that existed for only short period in time and for a "Lifers" it tells part of the story and shares but a snapshot of the passion that people have. Not to shabby for car that may not have accomplished what it had if it were not for a long stretch of highway and a Buick LeSabre full of bouncing kids. ;)

IT WAS OK . LOTS OF THINGS MISSING. PEOPLE ,PLACES. WHAT DID PAUL THE GRIFTER HAVE TO DO WITH IT ? I WILL SAY THIS . IT IS A MOVIE .

I agree with Megawatt, it's a film/documentary for people who don't know anything about these cars and it does a great job of explaining it to people. I want my wife to watch it. For those of us who eat/sleep/breath TR's, there's always going to be something missing because we all have many great, but diverse, memories of what these cars mean to us and things we've done or are doing with them now. There isn't is a film long enough to cover all the great things about TR's. This is a great piece on automotive history and the future will be better for it having been made exactly the way it was made. Part 2 can delve into blown headgaskets and wheels up turbo love! :)

I must say, it was awesome for Bob to pull out the Last GN for the movie. I was actually riding shotgun in the footage of the car taken from the outside. My buddy Scott was driving the camera car while Andrew filmed. The ole GN had her pedal planted to the floor a few times that day. It was a BLAST!

Some pics taken with a cell phone from the "chase car" while Andrew was filing the interior shots of the drive...

IMG_3972.jpg

IMG_3973.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg

IMG_3975.jpg

IMG_3976.jpg

IMG_3977.jpg

IMG_3978.jpg

IMG_3979.jpg

IMG_3980.jpg

IMG_3981.jpg

IMG_3982.jpg

Some shots outside before the car was put back in the "bedroom"...
IMG_3983.jpg

IMG_3984.jpg

IMG_3985.jpg

IMG_3986.jpg

IMG_3987.jpg

IMG_3988.jpg

IMG_3989.jpg

The odometer after the ride... 25 miles... 25 years later. :cool:
IMG_3990.jpg

Got mine and LOVED IT!!!!

Thanks to all that put this piece of BUICK HISTORY TOGETHER!!!!!

JD

I kinda like the way they added the Grand National emblem on the right side of the header panel. I hadn't seen anyone do that before.

16 years in the video production business. Thought it was well done, would of left out the out of focus shots at Richard's shop and the later out of focus artsy shots. But to each their own. Enjoyed it.

I give it 4.5 stars.

Cons: I thought there was too much Ferrari coverage. I appreciate the comparisson and contrast but, there was just too much of it for my liking.

Pros: I learned a few new things about the GN in the early stages. Also, a few GNX facts I did not know. I love seeing the old pictures/videos of the plant. Watching the little boy drop the last engine on the frame was just awesome.
This documentary delivers a clear explanation to why we love our cars so much. I'm positive anyone that watches this will get that message. I enjoyed the bonus material as well. Very good info.

If there is a second movie, I would love to see some of the pioneers of aftermarket. Performance coverage, clubs/event coverage. And of course, more drag racing coverage.

Got the movie for Christmas and loved it. Took it over to a fellow Gearhead's house and he loved it too...even though he is a die hard bow tie guy.
I hadnt heard the story about the Callaway TT Vette and the GNX....Personally I would have loved more of that story. Cracks me up that on one of the 4 runs the GNX beat the TT Vette even with the guys wife and kid in the car. The wife asks "Why is the Corvette slowing down?"

I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents as well. Overall I liked it, I'd give it 4.5 stars as well. I too, felt the Ferrari stuff was a bit longer than necessary. I loved the GNX history and footage. To see all the GNs at the ASC plant awaiting the GNX transformation was awesome. Also cool was the coverage of the very last GN. It was quite sad to see all those assembly plant workers on their last day of work, yet proud to the very end knowing they were making some automotive history in assembling the last GN.

Only thing I really do not understand , wether you love him, hate him, or unbiased. I don't undertsand why Dennis Kirban wasn't in this movie. He has been there since the beginning. Wether you like him or not I feel he has done alot for the Buicks since there inception. He has had News letters, new parts, books, Major events, etc written. I just do not understand how you do a movie with out him.
I did see where his event was in there. But him as a person I didn't see interviewed.
I'm only saying this due to the fact it's a documentary from what I see.

Any one else find it strange Dennis wasn't in this?

Maybe he will chime in. Was he not asked? did he decline?

I was a little bored at some points (Ferrari events) , Other things were pretty neat to see. I think it's great the movie was done. It helps bring back the intrest to the Buick's.

Andrew I am not knocking anything about the movie. It's just something that I was wondering about. I'm looking forward to the next one.

This does not have my opinion on Dennis. I consider him a friend & there are days I tell Pete to untie his shoes or give him a broom to keep him busy.

longball said:
[quote="I give it 4.5 stars"
Out of what? 5? 10? 100? I'm used to 'out of 10'. 4.5 would be bad?

Out of 100? Really?.... when was the last time you saw a movie rated 76 stars?

Movies are generally rated on a 5 star scale in half point increments.

When you say "she's a 10" - that is correct for a hot babe, not a movie.