Black Air Reviews

turbo39151

anycoloraslongasitsblack
So now that some of the Buick faithful have received our copies of the movie, what is the general consensus?
I got my movie and poster today. Framed the poster- it's ok- not spectacular.
I watched the movie and the extras and well, I'm a die hard Buick fan and I really love any coverage our cars can get but, I'm a little torn. I was expecting a little more. There was lots of good info (lots of cool stuff I didn't know) but, I was sort of expecting a little more of the car to be featured... Maybe in Black Air 2?

Honestly, I was hoping for something more along the lines of the "Febus Films" Buick videos. (at least a decent soundtrack...)

What do you guys think? Am I being too critical?

So now that some of the Buick faithful have received our copies of the movie, what is the general consensus?
I got my movie and poster today. Framed the poster- it's ok- not spectacular.
I watched the movie and the extras and well, I'm a die hard Buick fan and I really love any coverage our cars can get but, I'm a little torn. I was expecting a little more. There was lots of good info (lots of cool stuff I didn't know) but, I was sort of expecting a little more of the car to be featured... Maybe in Black Air 2?

Honestly, I was hoping for something more along the lines of the "Febus Films" Buick videos. (at least a decent soundtrack...)

What do you guys think? Am I being too critical?

Im sure there will be a future movie in the works.... I think the 2nd feature may include its rise thru late 80s and early 90s in more a performance fashion. The first movie was basically the birth of the car. What happens when people got their hands on one for upgrades would be what the 2nd movie would include IMO

The documentary movie is about the car's coming to be. "IMO".. was well done!!! But i really loved the bonus material that he included in the film. Like Sydwyndr mention, I feel he definitely needs to add a Part ll. Like i mention on his FB page, Part ll needs to be for the grass root racers and vendors that made our beloved car what they are today:cool:

Lets just say more than likely II will be in the works as Andrew really wants to do it because it is apparent the coverage he could do on just the performance rise of the GN/TRs from 80s through the heyday of the 90s and GS Nats, BPG, TB.com Nats and GN VS Mustang shootouts could be an easy hour.

It will be just as good and really what the diehard enthusiast in TRs will be looking for! Could make celebrities out of some of you :)

He should come to Norwalk, BG, and board members should e-mail him vids to pick through and use. We have so many cell phone vids, track vids, and "street fun" to share but often don't because we worry about the backlash and criticism. Here is a way to put it out there and not be "attached" to it. Screen shots of post from this board of kills, records, personal best, and great vendor service could be added. Music should be of a wide variety, clean, and also submitted from members. I spoke with 5 different nationalities in one day this week reguarding these cars in one work day. We are a diverse group. Instrumentals would be preferred by me since our society has become so "soft" LOL. This will cut down on him have to travel soo much and spend more time editing. I would also like to see Nelson work with him on this.

GNMOVIE 2 sounds great..... If he needs info on a Quality Engineering done 5,000 mile we4 or any GN diecast I'm ready:). TURBOALEX

I just finished seeing it. Like mentioned above, this was more of a birth of the GN. The second should have more of the owners involvement with these cars. Like the racing and customization of the vehicles. Whether its a low mileage GN or a daily driver or a track car. They should show what some owners have done to their cars, what the cars have done to the owners. By that i mean what influence these cars have had to that particular owner. The passion that people have with these cars has to be documented because we all have stories and hearing some of them will bring back good memories. I was expecting a little more from the vid but maybe part 2 will fill that expectation. Thats my take.

The Buick community is hard to please bunch of guys and girls my self included! We are all very particular with what we like and dislike he has taken on a very hard goal. Mine has not come in yet but I'm sure my expectations are to high for him. That being said I like how he went with the birth first and a possible performance version in part two. What he needs now is useful feedback and praise for doing it at all I thank him:)

Is there a place to buy the movie other than "www.gnmovie.com"? I'd like to buy one, but they only take Paypal.:rolleyes: I do not have Paypal and would prefer paying with a money order.

Claude. :(

It was packed with some really interesting information. I never really understood all the Ferrari bits, I think a better comparison would have been to the Corvette and their enthusiasts. Or maybe the Hemi nuts, I mean that in a nice way.

I just watched it this morning with my son. Honestly, I think, as a documentary on the genesis of the GN, the film misses a whole lot. Add to that, the time spent showing and talking about Ferraris, and overall it is a bit of a let down. Here's some of what should have been included:
  • Mention of Buick's long history of racing going back to the days when Louis Chevrolet wheeled Buick race cars. Many don't realize that there is a lot of go-fast in Buick's past.
  • Buick's reputation for creating true muscle through the years. Much was made of Buick's reputation as stodgy and boring but no mention of the Nailhead V8 in the 1950s Century and its eventual popularity with hot rodders. The GS line in the '60s including the Riviera, Wildcat and Skylark. The ferocious Stage 1 and GSX of 1970. Mentioning the GSX would let folks know where GNX moniker came from. This film leads one to believe that the GN is completely out of left field because there was no perspective to Buick's go-fast history.
  • Brief history of the Buick V6. They released it in the early '60s ahead of its time. Since it didn't sell well, Buick eventually sold the engine to Jeep. When the gas crisis struck, plans for a 500+CID V8 were scrapped and the V6 was bought back and pressed into service. To pace the Indy 500 in 1976, Buick turbocharged the little V6 in a Regal to help bring attention to it.
  • Some mention of the late '70s carbureted Regal Turbo Coupes as the film leads one to believe that Buick didn't start hot-rodding the production Regal until the early '80s.
  • Racing. This is huge and a complete shame that no mention was made. So why is the car called a Grand National anyway? Well, it would have been nice to acknowledge the on-track success of Darrell Waltrip and Bobby Allison for bringing Buick the manufacturer's cup in NASCAR Grand National racing in 1981 & 1982. Buick thought it was worthy of celebrating.
  • More Racing. The film has numerous references to the GN being basically a plain, unsophisticated car that just flat out accelerated like no other. But why? Again, the film should have delved into Buick's involvement in Indy car racing with the 'stock-block' V6. The fully sequential injection, distributorless ignition and improved turbocharging all came from these efforts. When the rest of GM (and indeed most of the automotive world) were still messing with computer controlled carburetors, throttle body or batch fire injection systems, Buick's engine management was indeed, sophisticated & state-of-the-art in its day.
  • Molly Designs and the the turbo Buick logo. What is behind the red and orange swirl on these cars that some folks equate with Jiffy Lube?
Someone in the film says something to the effect of the GN not having the pedigree and refinement like a Ferrari; that the GN is distinctly American. I say, when you take a NASCAR body and stuff it with an Indy car engine, it's pure American Bad Ass. So, while everyone anxiously awaits Black Air Part 2, I'm still waiting for the other half of Part 1.

The enjoyment of this video may come down to how much knowledge each person has about these cars.
Less knowledgeable people will probably enjoy it more. My copy should be in any day now.

D

Andrew is planning a second movie from what i have heard we in MAGNA got a pre screening at our recent gathering and A ndrew stated the movie is more about where the car fit in at the time rather than a full blown documentery about the car i baught a copy while he was there and can't wait for the second movie which i have heard is goon be more about the racing aspect of the TR and what made them so feared by so many

Watched the movie. I was waiting for it last 2 days.

Much appreciated for creating this movie. This should help with resale ( more exposure is better than none). That being said a lot of good info and stories but it was real slow and boring( I even fell asleep). I didn't get showing the ferraris but that's just me. I will tell you after watching The DVD i started looking online for a clean GN that I can't afford ;) Hopefully your next one you do get more interviews with the GN gurus and more stories about how people reacted when these cars 1st hit the street. Hopefully you don't mind our constructive critism. Again thank you for making the video of these cars. Makes me proud to have one.

Is there a place to buy the movie other than "www.gnmovie.com"? I'd like to buy one, but they only take Paypal.:rolleyes: I do not have Paypal and would prefer paying with a money order.

Claude. :(

You can pay through paypal even if you aren't a paypal member. There's link on the paypal popout that you click to pay for non-members just using a regular credit card and no need to register.

He should come to Norwalk, BG, and board members should e-mail him vids to pick through and use. We have so many cell phone vids, track vids, and "street fun" to share but often don't because we worry about the backlash and criticism. Here is a way to put it out there and not be "attached" to it. Screen shots of post from this board of kills, records, personal best, and great vendor service could be added. Music should be of a wide variety, clean, and also submitted from members. I spoke with 5 different nationalities in one day this week regarding these cars in one work day. We are a diverse group. Instrumentals would be preferred by me since our society has become so "soft" LOL. This will cut down on him have to travel soo much and spend more time editing. I would also like to see Nelson work with him on this.
I'd love to see your footage, especially the street stuff, but like you already know, on the interwebs it gets linked back in a hurry.