Bison – TE45A question

Isn't interesting that the TE45a is quite capbable of running just as or faster than the "new technology". Going back to thread on billet turbos combos and times, the TE45a shows the same times or better.

Isn't interesting that the TE45a is quite capbable of running just as or faster than the "new technology". Going back to thread on billet turbos combos and times, the TE45a shows the same times or better.

Agree!
New technology is very important but has it's place.
From what I now have come to understand based on the "Real life ol'skool turbo performance data" provided, the majority (Myself included :tongue: ) will never "need new technology". LOL!

I have an 86 GN mostly stock except for a hotwire kit,walboro fuel pump,60# injectors,Pypes 2 1/2 stainless exhaust,RJC power plate,adjustable fuel regulator and boost controller,160 thermostat,K&N air filter,3" down pipe. What else would I need or do to run the TE 45A turbo. I just want more power and I would NOT race it!!

I have an 86 GN mostly stock except for a hotwire kit,walboro fuel pump,60# injectors,Pypes 2 1/2 stainless exhaust,RJC power plate,adjustable fuel regulator and boost controller,160 thermostat,K&N air filter,3" down pipe. What else would I need or do to run the TE 45A turbo. I just want more power and I would NOT race it!!
You need about $10k worth of supporting mods and parts replacement to make use of that turbo

proper ex housing size is the key for these bigger wheels on our low comp small ci engines.i put a cast 62/65 turbo into surge with a tight tnetics .63 it spooled so fast you couldnt see the gauge move,moved to the bigger ar and no surge and much slower spool.currently running a 64 billet strim,turbo came with an .85 pte,i took the car to the track then swapped ex housings to a pte.63,the car picked up 4mph and dropped 4 tenths.

............currently running a 64 billet strim,turbo came with an .85 pte,i took the car to the track then swapped ex housings to a pte.63,the car picked up 4mph and dropped 4 tenths.

Would have never guessed that!
Thanks for sharing.

The gtq spools noticeably slower and is a waste on most applications. I wouldnt even consider a gtq unless i was looking for 9.8 power. The p trim is very predictable and spools a lot faster with more ex housing options.

i found that out the hard way, wish i would have bought a p trim instead. my convertor is to tight it has a 3200 l/u in it now. what would be the sweet stall for this turbo with a qtrim 3500? i have all the other suporting mods,ported heads with matching intake,janis trans bla bla .my et in sig was with crap2.2 60ft @25#boost

i found that out the hard way, wish i would have bought a p trim instead. my convertor is to tight it has a 3200 l/u in it now. what would be the sweet stall for this turbo with a qtrim 3500? i have all the other suporting mods,ported heads with matching intake,janis trans bla bla .my et in sig was with crap2.2 60ft @25#boost
You would need a 3800@zero boost/vacuum for it to really spool quick. You could use N2O to take the stall required way down.

Anyone experience any surging at lower psi cruising around? I suppose Garrett doesn't make a ported shroud? I get some surging with my GT6131 at about 10 psi and it's damn annoying.

I hope it does not do that. Ill be picking one of these turbos up in the near future. Any solutions?

mine surges at half throttle but not cruisin. this turbo wants to really go once you get it spooling

Surge is most prevalent when the exducer is kept the same size and the inducer is made larger on a typical compressor wheel design and run with a small turbine. The TE44, TE60, and TE61 are great examples of this. The compressor is capable of moving at least 20% more mass flow than the turbine running it for all its worth and you dont need a lot of ex energy to spin the small turbine because of its light weight and short center to tip design. The solution is to avoid driving in the surge area. Small ex housings will aggravate it but the trade off going to a large one is a slower spool. If you dont have a really good converter you are always better off with a small ex housing regardless if it surges. Surge at WOT would be an issue. Part throttle not so much. If you look at a compressor map you can easily see why running a very hlarger compressor wheel at low boost on an engine that cant take advantage of it will cause a huge surge problem and it will likely spool like a turd.

just sent convertor back for a re-stall. max they could go with the 9.5 l/u is 3700rpm ,so i said do it. can't wait to get it back to try it. i really love this turbo,just gotta get the whole combo working i want to keep the l/u because i street cruise alot and highway trips, so the l/u is very nice. trying to meet in the middle,hope it works

just sent convertor back for a re-stall. max they could go with the 9.5 l/u is 3700rpm ,so i said do it. can't wait to get it back to try it. i really love this turbo,just gotta get the whole combo working i want to keep the l/u because i street cruise alot and highway trips, so the l/u is very nice. trying to meet in the middle,hope it works
I've yet to see a lock up converter that stalls over 3400 couple mid 10 sec power under 6000rpm. You should really consider a PTC 9.5" or change up your combo. You will probably have decent spoolup but it will be driven over when you turn the boost up.