Billet wheel upgrade?

Has anyone had an older turbo upgraded with a billet wheel?
I’ve had acouple billet compressor wheel turbos . My current turbo has a billet wheel . 6871 comp turbo
9CCCA51B-57CC-4047-9911-775F7C0AFF74.jpeg

Nice, I was thinking of getting a billet wheel on my current turbo.

Nice, I was thinking of getting a billet wheel on my current turbo.

WORK turbo does that quite frequently for my customers.

As a matter-of-fact, I am getting a guy's stock turbo rebuilt into a billet 60mm compressor wheel and 56mm turbine wheel (kinda like a billet version of a TA49 if that makes sense).

If you are looking at getting your turbo upgraded to a billet wheel, you should check out our WORK turbo thread for billet wheel ideas: https://turbobuick.com/threads/work-turbocharger-size-option-comparison-thread.455641/

Billet wheels by themselves will do very little. The turbine has to be assessed. The gains are typically minimal on the smaller wheels. It’s usually more cost effective to sell your good turbo and buy outright. The MFS 6262 is the most popular for 10 sec power and I’ve sold a lot of them.
0300d01eb36a7c85f4e1a0b077b223e2.jpg
d54f5b9b92ed4c2a1efd2e8d01ba027f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.

If he is getting the rebuild done by Reed at WORK, then he will be getting a properly-matched turbine wheel as well. If the turbine housing needs to be changed, then that will be addressed in his quote he receives from WORK.

The nice thing with the WORK turbo is the 1 year warranty, new Billet Dynamic Backplate, and new 360degree Severe Duty Thrust Bearing that is included in the rebuild as well. You really do get a completely new turbo from Reed, the only thing that stays the same are the outside pieces (compressor / turbine /center section -housings )

Billet wheels by themselves will do very little. The turbine has to be assessed. The gains are typically minimal on the smaller wheels. It’s usually more cost effective to sell your good turbo and buy outright. The MFS 6262 is the most popular for 10 sec power and I’ve sold a lot of them.
0300d01eb36a7c85f4e1a0b077b223e2.jpg
d54f5b9b92ed4c2a1efd2e8d01ba027f.jpg

Agreed.

If he is getting the rebuild done by Reed at WORK, then he will be getting a properly-matched turbine wheel as well. If the turbine housing needs to be changed, then that will be addressed in his quote he receives from WORK.

The nice thing with the WORK turbo is the 1 year warranty, new Billet Dynamic Backplate, and new 360degree Severe Duty Thrust Bearing that is included in the rebuild as well. You really do get a completely new turbo from Reed, the only thing that stays the same are the outside pieces (compressor / turbine /center section -housings )

Most shops will give a one year warranty. Dynamic oil control is the only way to go. I replace the bearing housing about 90% of the time. On all the small shaft stuff I use the largest possible USA made thrust strategy. So it’s a 100% new cartridge. Getting back to my point. By the time you pay shipping both ways and I re-contour both housings and build a new cartridge you’re way ahead by selling your current turbo outright and just buying a new turbo outright if what you had is still ok.

Most shops will give a one year warranty. Dynamic oil control is the only way to go. I replace the bearing housing about 90% of the time. On all the small shaft stuff I use the largest possible USA made thrust strategy. So it’s a 100% new cartridge. Getting back to my point. By the time you pay shipping both ways and I re-contour both housings and build a new cartridge you’re way ahead by selling your current turbo outright and just buying a new turbo outright if what you had is still ok.

I have no doubt that Reed and many others do outstanding work. However for me and many others Bison is the MAN. End of story !!!!!!