billet wheel turbo boost control

Race Jace

Research, New Tech and Development
Staff member
We have noticed that since the drive pressure is so low with these new billet wheel turbos it is hard to control the boost with conventional WG actuators. The only alternative has been to go with an external waste gate... that is until now.

After much testing we have developed an alternative to the expensive external style Waste Gates with our new designed stock style Waste gates.

They feature an industry first 1 5/8" puck. this controls even the larges most powerful 3 bolt turbo the billet wheel 71Q down to low boost levels. We had to make several design changes in our current WG parts to get the geometry to work. The good thing is this will work in all of our current 3" and 5" down pipes.

Attached is a few pictures of the industry standard 1 3/8" pucks that were pretty big next to the new 1 5/8" pucks. you can see from the pictures that there is quite a difference.

these are available now.

Attachments

• 3inLWGate004.jpg
    3inLWGate004.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 908
  • 5inLWGate008.jpg
    5inLWGate008.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 912
  • 5inLWGate007.jpg
    5inLWGate007.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 904
Nice! If I did my math right, that's like 30% more flow :eek: This is the perfect upgrade for those guys running the new 62 billet wheel turbo.

Nice! If I did my math right, that's like 30% more flow :eek: This is the perfect upgrade for those guys running the new 62 billet wheel turbo.

It depends on how you calculate that.

If you take the old industry standard 1.375" puck and leave a conservative 1/8" for the puck to seal all the way around you get a hole that is 1.125" dia. that equals .99 sq/in

if you take the 1.625 puck and leave the same 1/8" around it to seal the area comes out to 1.485 sq/in so more like 50% more area.

leaving less than 1/8" to seal only makes the difference even bigger.

i am running 15# of steady boost right now with the new 70GTQ ball bearing billet wheel on my personal car.

Do you have to replace the entire flange or can you just buy the rod and puck assy?

The downpipes i have all done have the 1.375" puck in them. i can for now install the larger puck if asked to do it no problem. the next batch of down pipes i will install all large pucks. so i can install what ever you want.

the large pucks kit will come as a little kit. no it is not required that you have the flange.
DP and Exh parts

shown in the picture is my 1.375" puck kit. the larger puck kit will be the same as this kit and i should be able to keep the cost the same.

I can not however guarantee that this will fit all of the downpipe flanges out there. i only know it will fit the RJC flange.

Guys be aware that opening your wastegate hole up to the max will require you to run a lot more spring pressure in your wastegate actuator to prevent boost fall off at high rpm if you decide to turn the boost up as the ex pressure increases. If you increase the size of the hole you have effectively given the ex pressure more surface area to push against making it easier for it to give to the ex backpressure. I noticed this on an HD actuator at over 750hp with only a .110 hole and a GTQ ex wheel. A bigger hole would just aggravate this bleed off. I had several turns beyond the slip on of the actuator arm too. If you had a boost controller that applied CO2 to the actuator to control it then it wouldnt matter.

Guys be aware that opening your wastegate hole up to the max will require you to run a lot more spring pressure in your wastegate actuator to prevent boost fall off at high rpm if you decide to turn the boost up as the ex pressure increases. If you increase the size of the hole you have effectively given the ex pressure more surface area to push against making it easier for it to give to the ex backpressure. I noticed this on an HD actuator at over 750hp with only a .110 hole and a GTQ ex wheel. A bigger hole would just aggravate this bleed off. I had several turns beyond the slip on of the actuator arm too. If you had a boost controller that applied CO2 to the actuator to control it then it wouldnt matter.

U think this would work for us tweeners. If u just ported what you needed and not max port it right off the bat.