Big Time problem need help.

Dave Burns

Ok this is getting me a bit heated. Get it.......?.......... Hot Air = "heated", Anywayssssssss.

85" Basically stock T-type. Hot wire kit, bigger exhaust is the only really changes. Car won't start or run. Spins over fine(although the batteries taking some heat now). Check for fire with a screwdriver. I have Spark ! Can hear pump run when turning switch. Pump starts and runs for a few seconds like normal. Fuel filter is about 15 minutes old/new as of this posting. Try to start, no start or even try to hit. Check for fuel at the shrader(sp) valve on the fuel rail, NOTHING ! Not a drop. Tried spinning it with a valve on the rail pressed open with a screwdriver tip, got "maybeeeeee" a puff of air. How am not getting fuel to the rail with a good functioning pump, new filter ? Just checked the line and it's not bent or kinked or any of that minky business. Looks good, feels good where I can't see. I don't get it.............................. Help please. Cruise night is tomorrow and the boy wants to take his car.

try this

Near the front of drivers side valve cover--in the main wireing harness there is a small brown (I believe) wire with a black plastic end on it. Apply 12 volts to this wire (It is a fuel pump test wire)--let the pump run untill all air is gone--you can hear the reg. dumping fuel back to tank. It may be just full of air !!!!! Best of luck.

There is one other possibility. You may need to drop the tank. Once in a while the rubber hose in the tank falls off or deteriorates to the point of goo. If you take the schrader valve out and get fuel and put it back in and get nothing this may be you prob.

I know this sounds dumb but is the fuel filter installed with the flow going the correct way and not upside down?

Thanks for the replies yall I really appreciate the help.

First off in regards to whats been posted already let me say, the fuel gauge question hit me first. For some reason no it doesn't work right. When I first got the car my buddy here was helping me learn a little and get it check out. When we were hot wiring and messing around we had the pump outa the car to mess with the sender and see why the gauge would only go to 3/4 full on the dash. Never did figure it out just figured the gauge had taken a dump. None the less, the car has been running and driving fine ever since. The boy has been driving it to work and school all year with no issues since the snow melted. This is the first problem I have had.

I wondered if maybe the pump was failing ? Maybe not putting up enough pressure, but still running ?????

Fuel filter is in right. i actually thought about that too and went and checked my work over a couple 3 times.

Charlief1 - we just had the tank out last fall. Surely the hose wouldn't have failed in just a few months would it ?

L. T. - any way we could verify the wiring colors and such that you mentioned ? This sounds like it may be something to look at this afternoon after work. Not sure why but how could this happen.

I changed the filter because it needed it and I figured this was the issue. But when I got it off and blew through it I knew otherwise. My son drove it 15 miles home from work and shut it off. Went back out to start it and it would start and here we sit. It prolly sat for a couple hours before trying to start it again is all.

Thanks to all helping again. Much appreciated for sure.

............ L. T. - any way we could verify the wiring colors and such that you mentioned ? This sounds like it may be something to look at this afternoon after work. Not sure why but how could this happen.

I'll try to answer for Lee since he may not get back to this today.
It is a grey single wire, sticking out of/located in the main wiring, in the coilpack area, by the power steering pump.
Has a black connector at the end and nothing is/should be plugged into it for normal operation. Add 12V from the battery to run the pump, continually.
See lower left of the schematic.
http://www.installationinstructions.com/vin9/injectors-fuel system.pdf

Depending on the type of hose it could've but I suspect that it may have come off the fitting. Is it a Walbro? There have been lots of issues with them in the last year or so.

OK, making headway now. Got some time yesterday to mess with it even though it was raining. Borrowed a fuel pressure gauge from my buddy here. Hot wired the pump direct so it ran all the time when hooked up. Pressure gauge showed us a smoooooooth 9 #'s haha. Wonder if that could be an issue haha. Tanks coming out now and got a pump on the way. Can check hoses, grounds, and such with the tank out. Will let yall know if anything else rears it's ugly head. :D Thanks to all.

Welp.......... ding ding ding, we have a winner. Sort of. "charlief1" your response was the closest I'll say. We dropped the tank after waiting for the new pump to arrive, only to find out it wasn't the pump at all. As soon as the unit was pulled the problem was solved. Seems the small hose in the tank actually ruptured. Split damn neart' stem to stern. A small chunk of hose from my buddy Loren, ("6banger" or something like that here onboard) and we have a functioning car again. Thanks to all that offered opinions. Big thanks to Loren for having the line and helping me out. And now the boy knows how to do this job himself. No dad assistance when it fails next time, WOO-HOO. :cool:

Thanks again all.

Your welcome for sure David. Like I said it's happened to me before so either the pump or the line was the issue. Make sure the hose you put on is rated for high presure fuel or you'll be right back where you were again.

great news!!! got any pix of the car??? i want to see!!! I am getting ready to put one together finally... FINALLY... I bought a walbro still sitting in the box, and 009 injectors, chip and so on... cant wait to find out what else I need to get this bad boy moving!

John