Bible. Who’s read it?

I've read the 1st 4 chapters of the new testament, some of Leviticus, some of Revelations....

I'm kind of surprised this is in the lounge, since it's obvious some people here are atheists and thus a war of "it's all a fairy tale" will emerge. Something to be expected in the politics section. :)

Does that mean there are many different GODs? That's what I could never understand about the bible. If it's GODs word shouldn't ALL bibles say the exact same thing?

The truth is, the bible is just a humans interpretation of what he thinks GOD would want everybody to think. If im wrong someone please correct me.

As a Christian and reader of the bible there is only one and true living God. There are different bibles due to different interpretations. I asked a similar question and it was explained to me like this:
The original scripts/books were written by the original authors. As time has passed different people have come in and read the scripts/books and interpreted them as they could best translate them. That’s why there are different versions. Just like the way we speak today is so different from that of fifty years ago. Many of us think the King James is hard to read just imagine reading the original scripts of a couple thousand years ago. All the different versions of the bible come from the same scripts but are just interpreted differently. But seriously show me something from one version of one bible that is drastically different from any other bible.

Yea, I thought about the dead scrolls to but thats hardly the entire bible. The problem I have with the bible is that people pick and choose what passages they want to believe and leave out the more sinister passages. I am very religious Shane just not in the same way you are.

You are entirely correct here. I myself like all others am a sinner. I love to do the things I hate, and hate to do the things that are right. That is what separates us from Jesus Christ who was without sin. Please understand being a Christian does not make anyone perfect. I like to think Christians are not sinless but rather sin less. Therefore it’s easy to throw out the commandments that would condemn our personal sins and boast about the commandments we can follow easily.

I just went to Church tonight here in Central Florida (Victory Church) and heard the Bible preached and followed.

Its the best gift of God to mankind. ..Period. I've read a lot of it, but I dont think every single verse cover to cover. I have to make it a goal and just do it.

Whether people accept that gift or not is entirely up to the individual, and we have the freedom to believe it or not.

I choose to drink from the water of life and walk streets of Gold.. and drive my Turbobuick on those streets of Gold too! :)) :smile::biggrin:

I tried & got hung up in numbers. I have read most of the new testament and I know where I am going :D.

Brett, they all say the same things just worded differently

King James might say "thou shalt not kill"
New international version might say " You shall not kill"

The main differences are in the wording as was said, people do not speak the same as 50, 100 or 1000 years ago, so new versions are made.

Don't fight it, just read it!! but start in Matthew

Here's a link to the history of how we got the Bible....very informative....

Attachments

• bible2.doc
    16.4 KB · Views: 72
I've always felt that a bible should be translated in a person's own language so that the individual can read it, where ever country or Nation they're from.
With that being said it's difficult to say that the KJV is the only true or right version for there is the Original King James version which was written in 1611 here's an example of how its read: http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/kjplate1.jpg

Its also been revised several times (Nelsons, Gideons)and even now we have the " New King James Version", so some things have been changed. Hence all the revisions.

But if that's all you have, that's all you have for all scripture is inspired of God (2:Tim 3:16) The main thing is to get the principal behind it.

But I really doubt someone from Russia can read the KJV or someone from China,
Switzerland, Africa, South America could really read it and get the sense.

Christians are everywhere So they need to get a Bible translated in there own language which is the way God wants it.
The Original Bible was Hebrew & Greek so you have to find a very reliable source to stick to that as close as possible.

But this is an encouraging thread for Psalms 1:1-3 encourages us to read the bible in order for us to succeed and prosper in all our ways.;)

I read regularly also.

You are wrong...

Brett, IMO and many others, the KJV is the only correct version. I truly believe it is the word of our Lord. How many other books have been around that long and have stayed untouced? At least until all these new money making versions came out.

The way to simplify it to me is to understand that the KJV is the ONLY one that NO profit is made on... ALL others have someone getting royalties:mad:

The word of the Lord is FREE!

this is really just to get in the thread, but i'm going to use your post to get started.

i'm going to get you one this one. now, you already stated that you haven't read it cover to cover. which is the first question i ask of anyone that attempts to preach to me - BTW after telling them that they can lie to God if they think they can get away with it, they have all had to admit that they haven't read the entire book front to back either.

but, the KJV is the version that the king approved for you to read, and contains the information that he wanted you to have. Doesn't nessecarily make it the correct version.

and yes the newer version get a little further off base with each new version.

but do a search for the gnostic scrolls or gospels, and don't get that confused with agnostic - ther is a big difference.

i've looked into many religions, but there was some jamacans that used to have every possible book you could think of. they claimed the calendar had been changed and all kinds of stuff, but primarily used the KJV with quite a few extra books in it. and one of those books talked about what i assume is pot, the smoking kind, and said it was good.

edit: if it's any consulation, my mother believes the kjv is the only true bible also.

Well I was pleasantly surprised to see this post because I too have decided to read the entire bible solo. I have only 4 of the 66 books remaining to read! And will accomplish it in just one year. It takes persistence, but it can be done. It was never my intent, but now I do feel like it's a significant accomplishment in my life.

I didn't do this for religious reasons. I don't go to church and don't care for organized religions. I didn't read it because someone told me to or try to save my soul or ensure I get a pass into heaven. I SIMPLY DECIDED TO LEARN WHAT THE BIBLE HAS TO OFFER ME. Specifically, I wanted to learn what God expects of me for my spiritual relationship with Him (one-on-one), me as a husband, me as a father, me as a leader of people (my job is a manager). I'm pleased to share that I found great answers to all of these.

Not that this fine book needs another endorsement...but I highly recommend it:biggrin:

Here's the link to the 2nd article that shows how the King James Version of the Bible came to be....

Attachments

• bible3.doc
    15 KB · Views: 74
Actually Brett, yes there are many text dating back to the time of the writings that are still in existence. The Dead Sea Scrolls are but one example of this. So yes you can trace the KJV back 2000 years...

Actuall the KJV is what we were left with after the Catholic church butchered the Bible for their 10% profit and worldwide domination.

Do you remember? It was the Romans who adopted Christianity. It then became the state religon of the biggest power in the world.

Next came twisting it for crowd control....

Then Martin Luther came along and they decided to issue a public Bible...the KJV.

And BTW....biblical scholars have yet to incorporate anything from the dead sea scrolls into our modern Bible. That would be sacreligious. Because the catholics wrote in a clause about not changing any of the words in the Bible ("dont add too or take away")... why so many versions?

They aren't the same. Or they wouldn't be "different versions".

So what if I pick the wrong version? Do I go to hell?

I have read the bible. And strongs concordance...which is the Hebrew and Greek versions. Which both outdate the KJV by centuries.

i think it would be awesome if all post on this board where wrote in the kjv, lol!

doest thou not knowest upon oneself the boosteth guage from wence the creator, hath been deemed inaccurate? and therewich shall be cast into the lake of fire

The original scripts/books were written by the original authors.
Well, there is the $64,000 question? Who were the original authors? Does anyone really know? I dont see how anyone could. One can Believe but one cannot prove. Faith...... thats what religion is.

Believing in the bible and what it preaches is a good thing as long as we pick and choose what we believe in..... The God of the Bible also allows slavery, including selling your own daughter as a sex slave (Exodus 21:1-11), child abuse (Judges 11:29-40 and Isaiah 13:16), and bashing babies against rocks (Hosea 13:16 & Psalms 137:9).

These are just a few pasages as to why I think the bible is a book of BS!

I am ashamed to admit the fact that I have not read the Bible cover to cover. I have read many chapters as all my life I went to Catholic schools including the first two years of college. How ever, every single day of my life, I start off by reciting Psalms chapter 91. I have the chapter memorized so that it’s much easier for me to do so. I started this when I was 18 and now I am 42. My faith in God is stronger than ever, my wife has a lot to do with that but I still have a long way to go. I still struggle with a lot of things just like anyone else but I still try to live a life as God wanted me to by doing the right things and helping others.

Prasad

i think it would be awesome if all post on this board where wrote in the kjv, lol!

doest thou not knowest upon oneself the boosteth guage from wence the creator, hath been deemed inaccurate? and therewich shall be cast into the lake of fire

Aaron, you crack me up LOL!!!!!!

Prasad:D

Aaron, you crack me up LOL!!!!!!

Prasad:D

lol! lets go to the tech section and start doin all our post that way:D

i grew up in a church that preached from the kjv. i also believe it is the most accurate version. i could throw in some real curve balls that haven't been touched on yet in this thread concerning its accuracy, but they are both for, and against. i've spent years up all night with groups, friends, bible studies discussing the bible in coffee shops, all night diners, dorm rooms, etc etc.... and i've grown quite tired of debating it. if your somebody that has to be "convinced" about the word of god from somebody else, then i believe you aren't truly doing enough research, study'ing, seeking.... on your own.

jmo

I recommend that all skeptics and doubters go to Josh McDowell's website. If you are sincere about knowing if the Bible is God's Word or not go to his website. Home-JMM. Select the topic "Can I Trust the Bible?". He was also an unbeliever until he did his own research.

I recommend that all skeptics and doubters go to Josh McDowell's website. If you are sincere about knowing if the Bible is God's Word or not go to his website. Home-JMM. Select the topic "Can I Trust the Bible?". He was also an unbeliever until he did his own research.
For only $59.99 you can buy his CD:rolleyes:. Your really not that gullable are you? Btw, how many different Gods are there?

Rev. 12:9 says: "So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."

Isaiah 6:9-10:
And He said, “Go, and tell this people:

‘ Keep on hearing, but do not understand;
Keep on seeing, but do not perceive.’
10 “ Make the heart of this people dull,
And their ears heavy,
And shut their eyes;
Lest they see with their eyes,
And hear with their ears,
And understand with their heart,
And return and be healed.”
‘ Keep on hearing, but do not understand;
Keep on seeing, but do not perceive.’

1 Corinthians 1:18:"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

Romans 10:17 "17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

In a nutshell the whole world is deceived by the father of lies who is Satan. Thus we become skeptics and unbelievers. If you start reading God's Word, the bible with an open heart to seek and find God then you will obtain faith and realize that the bible is true and that Jesus Christ died for your sins in order to reconcile you to God the Father and inherit eternal life.

Matthew 7:7-8
7 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.

Reading the entire Bible is an accomplishment. It's the undisputed best seller of all times!

Reading it, reflecting on how it applies to your life, listening and waiting for God's direction, and then acting on it is the biggest accomplishment.

A lot of people get hung up on which is THE version. The King James version is merely an interpretation.

One of my favorites for new believers or those just searching for answers.........

"Now Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1