Bible. Who’s read it?

In a nutshell the whole world is deceived by the father of lies who is Satan. Thus we become skeptics and unbelievers. If you start reading God's Word, the bible with an open heart to seek and find God then you will obtain faith and realize that the bible is true and that Jesus Christ died for your sins in order to reconcile you to God the Father and inherit eternal life.
No one is saying one should not have a belief system. But a billion people pray to a different God. What makes your beliefs and more believable then theirs?

If there was a man named Jesus that lived at one time and was murdered he didnt die for me or you. Thats where the religious fanatics lose me. I can buy into the belief system because its morally right but the whole this guy died for my sins is utter none sense.

Although I would like to read the bible complete some day or atleast listen to it on CD.

“If you want to make a little money, write a book. If you want to make a lot of money, create a religion.”

-L. Ron Hubbard

If the Bible is the word of God, then why was it written by men, edited several times, and eventually used for profit???

i've read the King James version cover to cover- except for the "so-and-so begat so-and-so, who begat so-and-so" part. i just skipped past that.
a guy where i worked thought i needed to be saved, so he gave me a copy. he was one of those ex druggies and alcoholics that wouldn't shut up about how awesome it was to be clean and how awesome this "religion" thing is...
anyways, my impression was that there was everything in there for a good read- mystery,sex, murder, history, super natural beings doing supernatural things, etc.
i didn't quite grasp why everyone thinks it's some sort of a guide to how to live your life- what i got out of it was a good dose of ancient Middle Eastern mythology and history with some cautionary fairy tales thrown in for good measure. of course, i didn't have anyone to tell me what parts to read and what they mean- i just read it as a complete book and interpreted it as i went. i guess i did it wrong, since i'm still a sinning heathen 15 years later..

Rev. 12:9 says: "So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."

Isaiah 6:9-10:
And He said, “Go, and tell this people:

‘ Keep on hearing, but do not understand;
Keep on seeing, but do not perceive.’
10 “ Make the heart of this people dull,
And their ears heavy,
And shut their eyes;
Lest they see with their eyes,
And hear with their ears,
And understand with their heart,
And return and be healed.”
‘ Keep on hearing, but do not understand;
Keep on seeing, but do not perceive.’

1 Corinthians 1:18:"For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God."

Romans 10:17 "17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

In a nutshell the whole world is deceived by the father of lies who is Satan. Thus we become skeptics and unbelievers. If you start reading God's Word, the bible with an open heart to seek and find God then you will obtain faith and realize that the bible is true and that Jesus Christ died for your sins in order to reconcile you to God the Father and inherit eternal life.

Matthew 7:7-8
7 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
8 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.

Ok....so how did Satan get here?

Who allowed him to come here and tempt the weak humans?

Why does Satan have supernatural powers, who gave them to him?

Its not really fair to make people mentally weaker than the competiton. And then send them to an eternal lake of fire because they were influenced by the supernatural being that He put here SPECIFICALLY to try to MAKE us all SIN.

God put Satan here and gave him the power to f^ck with everybody. He sent him here JUST to make us sin.... so God can send us all to hell if we dont believe people like Gary.

Whats the point? Its like a big fuggin joke, except I get to go to hell instead of laugh.

Deception is so great that even Satan was overcome with it! As Rev. 12:9 says the WHOLE WORLD is deceived! If you don't know God's Word you are deceived and don't even know it.

John 3:16 - 21 says:
16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.
18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed.
21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”

Isaiah 14 tells about The Fall of Lucifer and how he was set upon the earth from heaven because he wanted to be like God. Anyone who thinks he can be above God has to be deceived!

12 “ How you are fallen from heaven,
O Lucifer, son of the morning!
How you are cut down to the ground,
You who weakened the nations!
13 For you have said in your heart:
‘ I will ascend into heaven,
I will exalt my throne above the stars of God;
I will also sit on the mount of the congregation
On the farthest sides of the north;
14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds,
I will be like the Most High.’
15 Yet you shall be brought down to Sheol,
To the lowest depths of the Pit.
16 “ Those who see you will gaze at you,
And consider you, saying:
‘ Is this the man who made the earth tremble,
Who shook kingdoms,
17 Who made the world as a wilderness
And destroyed its cities,
Who did not open the house of his prisoners?’
18 “ All the kings of the nations,
All of them, sleep in glory,
Everyone in his own house;
19 But you are cast out of your grave
Like an abominable branch,
Like the garment of those who are slain,
Thrust through with a sword,
Who go down to the stones of the pit,
Like a corpse trodden underfoot.
20 You will not be joined with them in burial,
Because you have destroyed your land
And slain your people.
The brood of evildoers shall never be named.
21 Prepare slaughter for his children
Because of the iniquity of their fathers,
Lest they rise up and possess the land,
And fill the face of the world with cities.”

No one is saying one should not have a belief system. But a billion people pray to a different God. What makes your beliefs and more believable then theirs?

If there was a man named Jesus that lived at one time and was murdered he didnt die for me or you. Thats where the religious fanatics lose me. I can buy into the belief system because its morally right but the whole this guy died for my sins is utter none sense.

Although I would like to read the bible complete some day or atleast listen to it on CD.

All major historians agree Jesus was real and did walk this earth. There is more documentation of His life at the time than any other person alive at the time...

Who allowed him to come here and tempt the weak humans?

Why does Satan have supernatural powers, who gave them to him?

Its not really fair to make people mentally weaker than the competiton. And then send them to an eternal lake of fire because they were influenced by the supernatural being that He put here SPECIFICALLY to try to MAKE us all SIN.

God put Satan here and gave him the power to f^ck with everybody. He sent him here JUST to make us sin.... so God can send us all to hell if we dont believe people like Gary.

Whats the point? Its like a big fuggin joke, except I get to go to hell instead of laugh.

He is our creator and basically gave us 10 laws to live by, I don't think that is asking to much...

10 fingers and 10 toes:biggrin:

Well, there is the $64,000 question? Who were the original authors? Does anyone really know? I dont see how anyone could. One can Believe but one cannot prove. Faith...... thats what religion is.

Believing in the bible and what it preaches is a good thing as long as we pick and choose what we believe in..... The God of the Bible also allows slavery, including selling your own daughter as a sex slave (Exodus 21:1-11), child abuse (Judges 11:29-40 and Isaiah 13:16), and bashing babies against rocks (Hosea 13:16 & Psalms 137:9).

These are just a few pasages as to why I think the bible is a book of BS!

Wow look at that site Evil Bible dot com. It it clear where you stand. You entered this chat gently like a whispering serpent and the struck with your poison.
Well I got to tell you; people think God is all about Love and gentleness and it is taken out of context. In order to preserve His people His ways can be harsh.
We are still to follow His commandments and have faith in Jesus (Rev 14:12)
No man can convince you it will take divine intervention.
And since we are offering opinion I think cops are today's Roman soldiers just protecting the tax collectors and ruling/privelegdged class....just like in the Biblical days.

Brett, this thread was about who has read the bible, nothing more. If you have such strong feelings about God, Jesus and all the religions of the world, why don't you start a thread in the political section? Thats really where your downtrodden, argumentative bs belongs.

Wow look at that site Evil Bible dot com. It it clear where you stand. You entered this chat gently like a whispering serpent and the struck with your poison.
Well I got to tell you; people think God is all about Love and gentleness and it is taken out of context. In order to preserve His people His ways can be harsh.
And since we are offering opinion I think cops are today's Roman soldiers just protecting the tax collectors and ruling/privelegdged class....just like in the Biblical days.

Very well said!

All major historians agree Jesus was real and did walk this earth. There is more documentation of His life at the time than any other person alive at the time...
Well, that's not really so. The documented timespan between Jesus's childhood and the beginning of his ministry is a mistery.

I dont doubt there a man named Jesus that lived during that time peroid. What I doubt is all the unverifiable accounts of him being the son of God.

It makes for good story telling and gives many people direction in their life who desperately need it but considering all the scandles that have taken place over the last few decades pertaining to children being raped by servants of God I just dont buy it.

Jesus, whoever he was, was a man that could obviously move many people with his speeches but there are many people alive today that can do they same thing and they are not considered the son of God.

I frimly believe that there is a God. But considering how many millions of people worship a completly different God daily and do not believe Jesus to be the son of God I have reservations pertaining to the validity of religion in general.

Does that apply to all the priests who have been raping little boys for decades? Arent they servants of God and held to the highest standard? Bottom line they are just humans just like Jesus was.

The bible has many positives but anyone who has read passages from it can clearly make the distinction that its a book of stories by man and certainly not God.

Does that apply to all the priests who have been raping little boys for decades? Arent they servants of God and held to the highest standard? Bottom line they are just humans just like Jesus was.

The bible has many positives but anyone who has read passages from it can clearly make the distinction that its a book of stories by man and certainly not God.

Just like police officers never break the law. Arent they servants of the law and held to the highest standard? You should understand the comparison.
Man is a wretched selfish creature with a sinful nature.
The Bible warns of wolves in sheep's clothing one example is the evil men who rape children in a religious leadership role.

The way the Bible stands apart from the other books of religion is the prophecy some things have been fulfilled and some things are to come. I see the world stage being set because of my biblical knowledge.

And to address your dashing babies against rocks. Well that is war. Is dropping atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki or Napalm of Vietnamese villages less brutal?
Although today we are trying a "new type of warfare" in Iraq and Pakistan and see how that is working for us. (but I am getting off subject)

Jesus (Yeshua is his real Hebrew name) is the Son of God He only gives you three choices, as it is clear in His words who he said he is. The three choices are Lord, lunatic or liar. choose wisely.

Originally posted by GNBRETT
I frimly believe that there is a God. But considering how many millions of people worship a completly different God daily and do not believe Jesus to be the son of God I have reservations pertaining to the validity of religion in general.

There are many false RELIGIONS/CULTS in the world today. With so many counterfeit money in the world today how can a bank teller recognize the real from the fake? You don't study all of the fake money there is in the world, all you have to do is to know the real one!

Just like police officers never break the law. Arent they servants of the law and held to the highest standard? You should understand the comparison.
Man is a wretched selfish creature with a sinful nature.
The Bible warns of wolves in sheep's clothing one example is the evil men who rape children in a religious leadership role.

The way the Bible stands apart from the other books of religion is the prophecy some things have been fulfilled and some things are to come. I see the world stage being set because of my biblical knowledge.

And to address your dashing babies against rocks. Well that is war. Is dropping atomic bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki or Napalm of Vietnamese villages less brutal?
Although today we are trying a "new type of warfare" in Iraq and Pakistan and see how that is working for us. (but I am getting off subject)

Jesus (Yeshua is his real Hebrew name) is the Son of God He only gives you three choices, as it is clear in His words who he said he is. The three choices are Lord, lunatic or liar. choose wisely.
Ok, valid points. But, there are many people on this planet that have never seen the inside of church or read a single passage in the bible and do not believe in God and never will yet lead productive lives in society.

Does that mean that these people are going to hell?

And yes, Police officers are held to a higher standard but I dont know many that rape multible children on a regular basis for decades. And if there was a child raped by a Police officer I can assure you his superiors would not be sweeping it under the carpet or simply transferring him to another precinct like they do in the Catholic church.

I would have more faith in the church if they ousted those that are apparently evil but the church is more concerned about politics then what is moral which makes me think religion is more about money then anything else.

I can only assume that many question religion when such atrocities continue to take place. I am no different.

Ok, valid points. But, there are many people on this planet that have never seen the inside of church or read a single passage in the bible and do not believe in God and never will yet lead productive lives in society.

That question I cannot answer I don't think anyone can sufficiently, its certainly above my paygrade.

And yes, Police officers are held to a higher standard but I dont know many that rape multible children on a regular basis for decades. And if there was a child raped by a Police officer I can assure you his superiors would not be sweeping it under the carpet or simply transferring him to another precinct like they do in the Catholic church.
Well the job attracted those types you wouldn't expect priests to accept bribes, but bribes in the LE community would be more common. That was a horrible situation the Catholic Church has a lot of issues an I will keep silent from here since I do not want to start a off track thread that could really go on and on.

I would have more faith in the church if they ousted those that are apparently evil but the church is more concerned about politics then what is moral which makes me think religion is more about money then anything else.

I can only assume that many question religion when such atrocities continue to take place. I am no different.

Dont have faith in a church, have faith in Jesus. Evil can infect a man made institution no matter how noble its beginnings. I have a lot of problems with traditional denominational churches; I am often seen as the odd man out because what I see as hypocrisy and empty tradition but once again thats a touchy subject for another thread.

That is exactly what that means. You don't get into heaven by just living a productive life.

That is exactly what that means. You don't get into heaven by just living a productive life.
According to who? What about the priests that have committed sin over and over again by sexually assaulting little boys? Are they going to heaven or are their sins forgiven and go directly to the gates of Heaven?

According to who? What about the priests that have committed sin over and over again by sexually assaulting little boys? Are they going to heaven or are their sins forgiven and go directly to the gates of Heaven?

According to Jesus, Brett. Since you seem to be so interested in this might I suggest that you go read the four Gospels, this will quench most of your curiosity. As for the priests that claim to live for Jesus, but molest children. You will find the answer to this in the bible also. Don't worry too much about which version you read, as long as its in english you will be fine :D

I really think you need to start your own thread in the political section & stop running this one so far off course.