Best way to tap 84/85 block?

kenny

No turbo, no care.
I would much prefer to use a stock style oil return rather than tapping the oil pan. Motor is out of the car, heads off, oil pan off sitting on an engine stand. Don't want to dissemble any further than that.

I'm thinking either do it upside down on the engine stand, with a shop vac on the inside of the lifter valley where the drill/tap will break through, or right side up using the same method and rags at the bottom of the valley.

Opinions? Tips tricks?

Also - to make doubly sure, 23/32 bit, 1/2 NPT thread, correct?

Tap

Not sure on drill size but it is 1/2 in. NPT. I have done them right side up. Mask every thing off. You will be able to catch what little that goes inside. It's not that difficult. Run the tap in some then check for thread depth on fitting. Should go in 4-5 full threads. Best of luck.

23/32" is what I found searching for tapping a 1/2 NPT. Sounds easy enough, if I'm motivated I'll pick up some bits and a tap tonight. Though honestly I'll probably end up going out with this girl instead and waiting until the turbo I just bought shows up to be motivated. :biggrin:

I use an 8 point socket to hold my tap then i use the 1/2 drive impact. Goes in nice and straight every time after drilling the proper size hole. Dont tap it too deep or you wont get a good seal. Tap it then check it and then go a little further till you are happy with the depth.

Though honestly I'll probably end up going out with this girl instead and waiting until the turbo I just bought shows up to be motivated. :biggrin:

Sorry Kenny, but a transsexual is not a girl no matter how pretty he is.:D