Is there a easy way to discover which lifter is bleeding down?

Hi Steve,
I’m running adjustable roller rockers, my question is when you have the adjustable push rod to the perfect length. Then you take it out and check the length with a micrometer do I need to do any adding or subtracting from the mic reading. Before telling the vendor what length to give me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of times you will not get the exact length pushrod you need. They usually are in .025 increments. The rockers have a window of adjustment in which they will work and oil correctly. I set the rocker adjuster on the low end, measure and use that number or as close to it as I can get. 1 turn on harland sharps are .050 so 2-3 threads exposed lets you set it at two and have .050 to adjust your preload with. I hope this makes sence--LOL---maybe we can get some guys with better words to chime in and further explain:)

I will also add the Harland and T&D's, scorpion maybe different with thread pitch and what 1 turn equals so be sure you are aware of what you are working with.

A lot of times you will not get the exact length pushrod you need. They usually are in .025 increments. The rockers have a window of adjustment in which they will work and oil correctly. I set the rocker adjuster on the low end, measure and use that number or as close to it as I can get. 1 turn on harland sharps are .050 so 2-3 threads exposed lets you set it at two and have .050 to adjust your preload with. I hope this makes sence--LOL---maybe we can get some guys with better words to chime in and further explain:)

I'll give it a try. im making up numbers just to explain, lets say you need a 6 inch rod and on your adjustable rocker you have has (.100) up or down for adjustment. now your vendor has a (6.050) rod. this would work. you will back out your adjuster nut (.050) to fit the rod at zero-lash. then you will thread it back in to set preload.
basically you want make sure you have enough threads to set preload and a little left over threads.

Steve,
Yes this is exactly what I do to get the length pushrod I wanted. The T&D has the same thread pitch 20 threads per inch (1 turn = .050) The T&D instructions also call for 2-3 exposed threads (which includes the preload ) I have not asked anyone yet on the preload of the Johnson “Reduced Travel (.096)” Lifters, I believe that this is your preferred lifter too.

. . . . I have not asked anyone yet on the preload of the Johnson “Reduced Travel (.096)” Lifters, I believe that this is your preferred lifter too.

Pretty sure it's a 0.045" target.

Edit:
If I recall: Set my preload to right around 260 deg rotation @ zero lash to account for expansion and valve seating.

Last edited:
Thanks Jerryl, once it warms up some I swear I'm going to pull the intake and measure up for the new push rods....

Pretty sure it's a 0.045" target.

Edit:
If I recall: Set my preload to right around 260 deg rotation @ zero lash to account for expansion and valve seating.
Actually some guys run zero preload since it's the only way to very 100% the valve is closing. I don't run over .030 preload on any lifter.

Actually some guys run zero preload since it's the only way to very 100% the valve is closing. I don't run over .030 preload on any lifter.
Up till now I've always went with 5/8 of a turn or .030 preload, I guess I'll stick with that, thanks Steve and Jerryl !!

0.030 is my typical target as well, but ended up shooting for 0.045 following very specific discussions with the manufacturer.