Best wastegate set ups........

Realspool

I have a Racegate set up that was installed about 10 years ago.The Racegate is near the middle of the crossover pipe closer to the driver's side.I have heard of the THDP being very popular.Is it true that the further awat the Racegate or wastegate is away from the Turbo the worse the Turbo will spool up.I have had some guys tell me that especially from Precision Turbo.I would like to hear from guys who really know this question and are experts on the best wastegate set ups because I have the feeling that is why my TE-44 does not spool real fast.Hope someone can help me with a good set up that will help my turbo spool like a TE-44 Turbo should.Only thing else I can think of is that I have the 009's and first gear is very laggy.:confused:

Well I'm running the ATR setup with the deltagate and never had a single problem. Turbo is a TE61, spools almost instantly. The entire ATR lineup are incredible products.

engine shot

I had just installed a Garrett.63 housing instead of the PTE .63 housing which came with my PTE-44 turbo and I would have to say the Garrett is superior as far as street manners and lower end torque and even mid range power and torque.For the street the PTE had terrible street manners.It has made the biggest difference performance wise felt without racing the car.The thing is now if I go to an ATR set up or THDP will i run in to traction problems.Especially if I go to a Vigilante 3200 9.5 lock up single disc converter in the future with 3:42 gears and 28 inch BFG'S.Im wondering if some lag is better then spinning tires and burning them up:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Realspool
I had just installed a Garrett.63 housing instead of the PTE .63 housing which came with my PTE-44 turbo and I would have to say the Garrett is superior as far as street manners and lower end torque and even mid range power and torque.For the street the PTE had terrible street manners.It has made the biggest difference performance wise felt without racing the car.The thing is now if I go to an ATR set up or THDP will i run in to traction problems.Especially if I go to a Vigilante 3200 9.5 lock up single disc converter in the future with 3:42 gears and 28 inch BFG'S.Im wondering if some lag is better then spinning tires and burning them up:rolleyes:

Personally I like a little bit of lag for drag racing. If you are into the freeway thing, lag is no good.

With a 3200 stall, you will be able to spool even the .85 PTE housing without much problem.

You might also look into getting a new chip or getting your changed to take advantage of the higher flowing turbine housing that PTE offers.

I have a Jay Carter 93 chip.The only thing I have to do is get a reading now on my scanmaster to see how rich the car is running.One thing for sure when i switched the PTE .63 housing to a Garrett .63 housing the car not only pulled better but seemed to cure the tuning problems.I can see for drag racing why the PTE .63 would have some advantage because it has more lag but it just did not have good street manners driving aroung town.This is the first turbo I have run with a Garrett .63 housing and now I know how fun these cars can be on the street.It does not spool instantly but it seems 50% quicker as far as throttle response then the PTE housing.