Best stock camshaft?

BMR

Bad Medicine Racing
I am doing a rebuild on my '86 GN. Someone was into it before me, and made some mistakes which led to me having to build it. I bought the car as a non running basket case with supposedly only a bad turbo. I got it running and put a kit in the turbo, abd discovered the motor was knocking.

I pulled the pan and found one spun rod bearing, and after pulling the engine all the main bearings were in foul shape. The PO had no clearance in the oil pump and it ran metal through the motor and killed the bearings.

They also had installed a 268 comp cam. It sounds cool, but it has a flat spot on tip in, and needs a looser converter, and probably a bigger turbo, and bla bla bla. I just want a stock cruiser with the street manners GM intended. If i want to go fast I will drive my Malibu with a 91mm sbc.

Which manufacturer has the best stock cam for my 3.8?

I am doing a rebuild on my '86 GN. Someone was into it before me, and made some mistakes which led to me having to build it. I bought the car as a non running basket case with supposedly only a bad turbo. I got it running and put a kit in the turbo, abd discovered the motor was knocking.

I pulled the pan and found one spun rod bearing, and after pulling the engine all the main bearings were in foul shape. The PO had no clearance in the oil pump and it ran metal through the motor and killed the bearings.

They also had installed a 268 comp cam. It sounds cool, but it has a flat spot on tip in, and needs a looser converter, and probably a bigger turbo, and bla bla bla. I just want a stock cruiser with the street manners GM intended. If i want to go fast I will drive my Malibu with a 91mm sbc.

Which manufacturer has the best stock cam for my 3.8?

Full Throttle Speed has a really nice 206/210 Roller cam kit. I've heard its pretty mild and good for a stock car and a 2800 stall..

http://fullthrottlespeed.com/customkititems.asp+kc+001BUROLLMOREL+eq+

Weber has a 206/206 roller that also has good street manners. You could call them for a kit to work on the car.

http://www.weberpowerproducts.com/206-206-turbo-buick-ductile-roller-camshaft-p/wre-1028014.htm

Contact Bison or Dave Husek(turbo buick performance). A mild 200/200 roller would be nice for a stock motor.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I should be more specfic. Don't want a roller, don't want a stall. I understand that a roller is better, and why its better. I run a solid roller in my SBC.

I just want a stock or stock replacement hydraulic flat tappet cam. I know melling and probably a couple of others make them. That's all I'm looking for. The goals are stock.

Flat tappets are hard to make live in the 3.8, not saying you can't. There is a thread that shows how to use the front wheel drive roller lifters, you would have to search for it. That would be a nice stock setup. If I was building a stock motor, I would do the front wheel drive roller lifter, with a nice mild roller. I would also buy it from Bison or Dave Husek.

a comp 206-206 is very stock like and won't require a stall converter, etc.
Otherwise, you'll have to look around to see if someone makes a 200-200 or something like that. You won't regret the 206 though at all.

presuming the cam is ok (not wearing out), it should not stumble. A cam sensor installed 180 degrees out will still run but will stumble on tip-in.

Do you have the cam specs? what is the idle vacuum?

Bob

The best stock cam is the stock cam. If you want a nearly stock cam or a small hyd roller contact me. You are limited to approx. .450" lift with a stock iron head. There are plenty of good lobes to chose from. Duration at .050" doesnt determine how the cam will respond.

Flat tappets are hard to make live in the 3.8, not saying you can't..............................

This BS comment has been tossed around here and other forums, but there are thousands of flat tappet cams that live fine in turbo Buicks and all other brands as well.

This "hysteria" has been passed around since the late 90's when a major supplier of cam blanks has an issue getting the proper temper/hardness and affected various cam suppliers and all makes and brands of vehicles. The Chevy market and the others brands were hit much harder than Buicks.

I know of many TR's with well over 100k miles on their cams both originals and replacements. We have done a few hundred of flat tappet builds and installs with only 2 issues caused by the owners.

In a stock or slightly modded GN, a replacement cam will make little or no difference in everyday performance. Many stock cams have been into the 10's on stock engines with the proper add-on parts.

A proper roller cam install in a turbo Buick will be at least 3 times more expensive than a flat tappet replacement when it is done right.

It is 218° at 0.050", and it only pulls 10" idling. We thought the egr was stuck to begin with, but it wasnt. It would idle like a V8 with a 292 comp. Really choppy and aggressive.

If you've got your heart set on a stock set up, might want to give CARS Inc. a call to see if they still have em available, as they list stock camshafts in their catalogue.

908-369-3666

www.oldbuickparts.com

CAMSHAFT

page6image2224

Stock Camshafts

1978-1983 All V-6 Motors
Regal, Turbo Regal, Grand National, GNX

CS785..........................................$95.50 Each

1984-1987 All V-6 Motors
Regal, Turbo Regal, Grand National, GNX

CS847 ........................................$117.00 Each

I had a comp 206/206 flat tappet in mine when motor was stock w/stk turbo and I saw no difference in idle/driveability,spool of turbo.

204-214 cam flat
Comp 981 springs
I put 80k miles on it
Before I sold the car
Never any issues

Build it to stock specs, then add fuel and alky injection. Stock cam lasted to 185,000 miles on mine, until I went 22 psi boost on pump gas and blew the back half of the engine off.

Proper break in and zddp with every oil change and it should be all good. My stock cam lasted close to 140k. I still have the comp 206 lying around somewhere.

I may just go with the 206. I was expecting the stock replacements to be cheaper than a comp.

204/214 in mine. I change the oil once a year and run it hard. 25psi and never spit once yet.