Best option for new heater core?

Where would I be without this site?! So avoid the gbody radiator...do any of you guys use the oil cooler?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

So I take it I should not install it? LOL I'm in the process now. This is the OReilly brand it cost me $23 ????

Look at the difference between the two. Anyone can tell by the pics that the aluminum one has less area for airfow, fins are tighter plus it's smaller and dosen't sit right in the heater box and you have to wrap it with the crappy foam insulation that it comes with to fill the gap to help direct airflow through the core instead of going around it.

Hold them both up to the light and post what differences you see. Mainly how much light passes through or if you can see anything at all through each one.

Last edited:
Where would I be without this site?! So avoid the gbody radiator...do any of you guys use the oil cooler?

I have 60lbs. cold oil pressure, which shouldn't have been an issue but it did blow the cooler out one morning right at startup.

I noticed my OP dropping and shut the car off. Looked for leak and saw no oil on the ground. Popped the rad cap and up from the rad came a bubbling crude. Oil that is. Texas tea.

All jokes aside if you don't have high oil pressure or don't use the oil cooler you should be fine.

I wish I had another one to install and test to see if it was a fluke or a design/workmanship flaw.

I will post up the results of the replacement rad when I get it.

Highway Stars??? I appreciate.all the input.

Yes but it was a two week wait when I wanted to order one that's why I went with Gbody.

I should have waited and I could've gotten the brass/copper one that I really want back in there.

I have 60lbs. cold oil pressure, which shouldn't have been an issue but it did blow the cooler out one morning right at startup.

I noticed my OP dropping and shut the car off. Looked for leak and saw no oil on the ground. Popped the rad cap and up from the rad came a bubbling crude. Oil that is. Texas tea.

All jokes aside if you don't have high oil pressure or don't use the oil cooler you should be fine.

I wish I had another one to install and test to see if it was a fluke or a design/workmanship flaw.

I will post up the results of the replacement rad when I get it.

Thanks man. Maybe I'll post a thread to get a poll on the overall opinions

I've heard many bad stories about Gbody.com, hard to trust them

I've heard many bad stories about Gbody.com, hard to trust them

Whoa....not true.
Trust is a big word.
Brian runs a pretty big company.
My experience is he hardly sniffs at an issue like 200 bucks.
He is just one man, trying to run a pretty big operation, and relying on the hit or miss of local employees - sometimes miss.
If you've ever run a business, you know that is the biggest problem.
But in my experience, he takes care of issues.
Burned cars notwithstanding...
I for one would not want to not have GBodyparts around.
Look at the parts he has replicated and brought back from obsolescence.
He's a pretty valuable part of the community.
Emails work best to resolve things with him
And think of it this way - why hold him to a different standard - than say Amazon, FleaBay, or any other web based purchasing method.
For the most part these days - it's mainly email this and email that. Hell, try to find a phone number for half these joints.
Right or wrong - welcome to the 21st century.

I put the aluminum heater core in my car last november before the drive home from NC. It does supply heat. Its not the ankle-burner that the original one was, but its not bad enough to go thru the hassle of changing it again.

Bob

if I had to do it over again, and I had time to locate the proper core (I was in a hurry last November), I would make the effort to get the copper/brass one though.

B

Whoa....not true.
Trust is a big word.
Brian runs a pretty big company.
My experience is he hardly sniffs at an issue like 200 bucks.
He is just one man, trying to run a pretty big operation, and relying on the hit or miss of local employees - sometimes miss.
If you've ever run a business, you know that is the biggest problem.
But in my experience, he takes care of issues.
Burned cars notwithstanding...
I for one would not want to not have GBodyparts around.
Look at the parts he has replicated and brought back from obsolescence.
He's a pretty valuable part of the community.
And think of it this way - why hold him to a different standard - than say Amazon, FleaBay, or any other web based purchasing method.
For the most part these days - it's mainly email this and email that. Hell, try to find a phone number for half these joints.

Point taken...200 is 200 though. Perhaps the hit or miss employees should be an issue that gets addressed. I've just heard more negative than positive reviews. What would you do in my position?

I put the aluminum heater core in my car last november before the drive home from NC. It does supply heat. Its not the ankle-burner that the original one was, but its not bad enough to go thru the hassle of changing it again.

Bob

Thanks!

I always thought it was the ducting that cut down on the 'ankle burner' aspect. On my car if you stick your hand down there, the passenger side get's chitloads of air while the DS gets very little cause of the console.

RobZombie.. next time you're at Oreillys have them load commercial account 'turbo buicks garage' # 146667 into their stores computer and start using that account. It'll save you a few clams on parts.

Have you ever been to Gbody ?
I have more than once. Guess how many times Brian was actually there out of the four times I was there?

Why? Because he doesn't reach millions of people like they do. He is what I would call a mom+pop shop if anything.

That's the problem with businesses today, people think they can play all day check their emails and just fill the orders and watch the money roll in.

Fortunately for us the consumer as long as capitalism isn't taken away we will spend our money where we feel that we get the best customer service and value for our money.
If we find two sellers with the same services and one gives you better service, answers the phone when you call and spends time on the phone answering your questions who will you buy from.

Business doesn't take care of itself, you have to put into it what you want to get out of it and that goes with anything in life.
I wish Brian the best and if it's just a bump in the road he'll recover. If not he won't and his business will suffer simple as that.

Installed an aluminum heater core in mine a couple years back...works just fine.

RobZombie.. next time you're at Oreillys have them load commercial account 'turbo buicks garage' # 146667 into their stores computer and start using that account. It'll save you a few clams on parts.

You do realize that everyone that reads this is now running to Oreillys for a huge discount. LOL

I will use it and see if I get a better discount than I get now under my account. I will be pissed if you get a better one than me, just kidding.

Fine by me. I've got it set up as a progressive account. The more it gets used, the closer to dealer cost.

Fine by me. I've got it set up as a progressive account. The more it gets used, the closer to dealer cost.

SWEET!!! Let's all help Earl save some cash by using his account.

Pretty sure it's maxxxed out :D Although I haven't been using it as much as I used to. Advanced Auto's website has been pretty killer with their online coupons the last couple years.

I always thought it was the ducting that cut down on the 'ankle burner' aspect. On my car if you stick your hand down there, the passenger side get's chitloads of air while the DS gets very little cause of the console.

I will have to try that next time I visit them, thanks! :)

I may just pony up and go with the highway stars one...now to decide on the radiator