Best option for new heater core?

JustABuick

Hello all, as I am getting ready to finally install the engine/trans in my T, I am going to put the AC back in. The previous owner removed the AC box so I bought a complete system from a fellow board member off an 86 GN. Before I put the box in, I want to replace the heater core. However, Advance Auto does not carry them for the LC2, and Napa sells them for $40. Would I be better off trying to have the original one fixed? Does the heater core for a carb V6 fit an LC2? Is the Napa replacement just China crap?? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks, Happy new year!

Kelly

Whatever you do, DO NOT, and I mean DO NOT put an aluminum heater core in there.

They are junk, they don't work like a stock copper and brass one does PERIOD end of discussion.

Now if you go to buy one, don't buy it from Gbody as they advertise a stock replacement and the picture shows a copper/brass original, and they sent me an aluminum POS and they don't answer their phones to make it right.

I believe highway stars sells the copper brass original for around 60 bucks.

RZ.

Awesome, thanks for the advice! I was told the gbody radiator was awesome, this makes me think twice...

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Awesome, thanks for the advice! I was told the gbody radiator was awesome, this makes me think twice...

WELLLLLLLL , I could tell you something about their radiators also but that's another story.

I'm glad I didn't read threads like this before I put in my plain jane $20 Vatozone heater core in years ago.

I'm glad I didn't read threads like this before I put in my plain jane $20 Vatozone heater core in years ago.

Hmmmm. I haven't found one for 20 yet! Must be looking at the wrong places

WELLLLLLLL , I could tell you something about their radiators also but that's another story.
Please, do tell

I posted it elsewhere, but the short of it is that the internal oil cooler blew apart within a month of installing it and sent oil through the whole cooling system including the engine.

I had to flush the motor over a dozen times to get all of the oil out of it, which in turn took out my heater core which is why I posted about their heater core add and it being misleading.

The only good thing is that they said they will replace the rad for free, but I haven't yet sent it back as I've re-installed the stock rad and have had no issues with it.

I will send it back next week and see if they will honor that warranty.

Last edited:
I posted it else where, but the short of it is that the internal oil cooler blew apart within a month of installing it and sent oil through the whole cooling system including the engine.

I had to flush the motor over a dozen times to get all of the oil out of it, which in turn took out my heater core which is why I posted about their heater core add and it being misleading.

The only good thing is that they said they will replace the rad for free, but I haven't yet sent it back as I've re-installed the stock rad and have had no issues with it.

I will send it back next week and see if they will honor that warranty.

Wow, thanks for the heads up...yikes. What radiator are you using, or do you recommend?

I'm using a stock rad with the dual fan setup that came with the Gbody rad.

I had cooling issues with the stock rad and fan, it would hit 200/205* with the single fan/stock rad combo and was told that if I bought the Gbody setup it wouldn't go above 170* so I got it.

Well it went to 185* and I was fine with that in the 100* heat with ac on until the cooler blew apart.

I put the stock rad back in and left the dual fan on there and there is no difference in how they cool. I still run at the same temps as with the aluminum rad.

If you don't have a front mount I/C you should be fine with a good stock rad and dual fan setup for high temp AC on days.

The ones at NAPA are pictured as being copper brass but are aluminum.
The carbed car cores inlet and outlet lines are curved differently.

Those chain store cores are junk.

I bought one and returned it a week later because I had no heat.

Took it out and compared it to my original core and realized that the fin count is double and you can't look through it because the fins are so close.
How the heck is air supposed to pass through them if you can't even see daylight through them.

The stock core you can see through and therefore allows more airflow to pass through and extract the heat from it.

So I take it I should not install it? LOL I'm in the process now. This is the OReilly brand it cost me $23 ????

Attachments

• 1388550042226.jpg
    1388550042226.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 1388550062629.jpg
    1388550062629.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 151
  • 1388550079507.jpg
    1388550079507.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 166
Beats me. Mines been putting out heat for a decade because I didn't know it was junk at the time.

So I take it I should not install it? LOL I'm in the process now. This is the OReilly brand it cost me $23 ????

That's where I bought mine, good luck.

At least they took it back even after I installed it as I'm a customer of over three years and they know me by name there.

Beats me. Mines been putting out heat for a decade because I didn't know it was junk at the time.

Ten years ago parts were better, not much but they were.

Go to any chain store and look at what they sell now and you'll see what I'm talking about.

The flues are smaller and fins are tighter.

Original core is a passive plate design, not tube and fin like a cheap trans cooler, that's what twenty bucks gets you. JUNK!!!

Humm I'll think this over a drink tonight. LOL. If I did decide to go with original where or who should I be buying this from again?

Humm I'll think this over a drink tonight. LOL. If I did decide to go with original where or who should I be buying this from again?

Highway Stars??? I appreciate.all the input.

Robzombie, I don't have the stock radiator anymore. It's a cheap replacement on a roller I bought.

Don't bother with a new stock one they are 5/600 bucks.

That's why everyone usually goes aftermarket because you can get rad and fan setup for the same price as a stock rad.

You can try Gbody if you want. Just because I had a bad experience with my rad you might be fine.

If you can sport the coin I've heard nothing but good about ALRADCO products.

Just look in the vendors section and you'll find someone.

The good things about the vendors on here is they will stand behind their products good or bad.

I've had problems with Gbody but when I can get a hold of them they do make it right.

It's just frustrating when I have to always leave a message because they never answer their phone.

Last edited: