Before Black BS'ing thread.

Were having a heatwave, a tropical heatwave. Its 25 below tonight for a low. High tomorrow is 8 below. Woop...

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I felt guilty all weekend while I was in Key West, watching all the ice on the news. We are still in the 80's in Miami today. I feel for all you guys in the path of the bad weather. I got all the rings today from JE for my 3.972 bore 4.1 block. It looks like the top ring gap is .017 and the second ring gap .025. The top ring will be filed to .020. The second ring will have to run at .025. The oil ring gaps are really big at .040. JE says it should work. I never ran an oil ring gap that big, and the second ring gap makes me wonder. The whole project is an experiment, with ceramic coated forged JE's with .0045 piston to wall. All this so I can use the custom stroker pistons from my old broken block. I need a stroker crank and a set of H-beam rods to get this thing together as a spare N/A street engine. It will have ported big intake valve irons with a flat tappet cam and T&D 1.65 rockers. I have a big decision. Get the crank, or buy my wife a nicer Christmas gift. I like to eat 3 squares a day, so I guess the crank will wait until next year.

interesting ring numbers, so that particular bore size is somewhat hard to make a ring to fit perfectly. If we could get really really tiny and walk on the ring with a micro-feeler gauge set, i bet we could find spots where the ring isnt touching the bore. I dont see this as an issue really.... being its a street engine, as ive noticed this almost purposely on high milage designed engines (think cabs). But max effort race engine? I think the rings would overheat and loose proper tension quickly. What i see, particularly with the wide oil ring gap - is the perfect canidate for some low tension rings and a vacuum pump. No more oil leaks and sweet juicy rpm.

The rings are for a 3.965 bore plus .005 for file fitting, so I'm .002 over the perfect size. Figure .003 ring gap per .001" of cylinder diameter over the correct size and that's why they are so loose. My current 274 has a 3.995 bore and 4" rings plus .005 for file fitting. I had to file a bunch on those, and the oil ring gap ended up .015. JE says they are OK and fit the cylinder as long as you can shine a flashlight under the ring with it in the cylinder and no light shows through around the edges. Next time, 4" bore. On a race engine, you probably want the ring gap almost zero at max temperature. That takes lots of experimentation to determine the ring gap. I believe I had the gap too close on my old block that broke the main webs because the cylinder walls looked like the rings were chattering. I gapped it tight, not intending to use nitrous. The increased combustion temp from the nitrous closed the gap up. Lesson learned.

I got the time to fit the rings to the block and the top rings were filed to .019. The second rings all measured .022 without filing. Perfect. The rings I was using to check end gap when I honed the cylinders were new rings left over from my first build. JE will only sell rings for an 8 cylinder. The new set were a little tighter. Oil rings are still .040. I have read that .055 is the max you can run. Now I need a crank. I have some nice mildly ported iron heads listed in the parts for sale if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
My 82 sport coupe was in MN. the last 20 years. Fortunately my brother kept it storage all winter ( translation , 7 months)
Now living in much warmer MD./ DE. My hat is off to all of you in the Great White North!
Still shudder at the thought of all those MN. rustbuckets , caused by DOT dumping tons of salt daily and Detroit NOT protecting the sheet metal. Heck , the more rust the faster they sold cars! 1387575930707.jpg

IllhaveaV6

Working on not having to drive the olds. I present-New Dodge 4.7! New pistons (2 were bad), rebuilt heads with 1 new valve from when the bits of piston went out and warped it. All the normal stuff! Hopefully I will get the accessories on tomorrow and get it bolted in. 2 days hopefully and it will be on the road!

Merry Christmas from South Florida. Christmas at 78 degrees? Doesn't seem right.