Bad turbo! -- misfiring problem *edit: and knock

MAK507

Down pipe is drenched with black oil.. Exhaust has been spewing white smoke like an 18 wheeler with a bad turbo!

Pics on 2nd post.

4/5/2016 9pm PST update:

A buddy owns a ttype and brought me his old stock turbo. I swapped it in and wallah.. No more smoke.

The car is having a pretty good misfiring issue. What could cause this?

New parts list:
*lucas 38lb injectors
*walbro fuelpump from Kirban Performance
*ignition control module
*coil pack
*acdelco r45s spark plugs gapped at .035
*acdelco spark plug wires 8mm
*accufab fuel pressure regulator, pressure set at 42 line off
*lt1 3.00" maf sensor with maf translator to a 3.00" maf pipe with k&n filter
*TurboTweak chip set to the 38lb injectors 16 psi, TA-49 turbo (this is the one that went bad)

Could the misfiring be happening (right now) because of the TurboTweak chip being burnt to the TA-49 and not a stock? Vacuum/boost gauge reads 15 in Hg at idle

What could be other possible problems?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Here goes nothing gentlemen:

f911d0504b0e0791f5d401a333a456f1.jpg

537589e86acbaded6f9a6ac896813829.jpg

1e51b30f3fb04a0992f6f435832ac9a5.jpg

Yup it's bad... time to send it in

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

"acdelco r45s spark plugs gapped at .035".....

Yeah I recommended replacement plugs in the other post. Time for a trip to O'Reilly.

"acdelco r45s spark plugs gapped at .035".....

Okay. Just bought the AutoLite 23... What should I gap them to?

Thanks for all of your help guys. I'm a newbie that was stupid enough to fall in love with an over complicated woman (car) :(

I got into this game about 3 years ago not knowing much about the car!! After lots of reading and questions here I get around the car well now!! Patience, motivation and persistance and youll be fine!!(y)

I got the oil changed, shop used 10W-40 and after a couple minutes of car running I started hearing a very audible knock coming from passenger valve cover area. Sounded like maybe a push rod? Freaked me out.

Got home and emptied out the oil and used 5W-30 with LUCAS ENGINE BREAK-IN TB ZINC PLUS OIL ADDITIVE and sound seems to have gone away. I'll let you guys know how it goes tomorrow. I didn't have time to change spark plugs.

Sparkplug gap and/or coil. I don't get it, you swap turbos but take the car somewhere to change the oil? Sure they didn't take it for a little "test"?

Sparkplug gap and/or coil. I don't get it, you swap turbos but take the car somewhere to change the oil? Sure they didn't take it for a little "test"?

The shop owner is a client of mine. He's been wanting to see it. I drove it over there and he was like "we'll do it for you on me." (I've sent him a lot of business)

The car never left the shop, I had the keys with me the whole time.

The shop owner is a client of mine. He's been wanting to see it. I drove it over there and he was like "we'll do it for you on me." (I've sent him a lot of business)

The car never left the shop, I had the keys with me the whole time.

I wouldn't take my car to any shop for an oil change unless they put oil in that I brought which defeats the purpose of having them change your oil.

What you or others may not know is that all oil change chains and a lot of independent garages use cheap BULK oil. How do you think that they can offer a 19.99 oil change and still make money??

They really depend on the up sell products to really put the gravy in their pockets.

Your client may be a nice guy but by putting low grade {BULK} oil in your car he has done you a great disservice and can/will cost you in the long run.

Got it. Smh. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Like I said, I put 5w-30 with he zinc additive. I'm changing plugs tonight and I'll see how she runs.