B&M external cooler writeup for F-body radiators.

williamsGN

'Horse sneeze' addict
TurboBuicks.com - Upgrade To The F-Body Radiator

Has anyone tried this and does it work connection wise ? I tried the ends recommended for the engine side and they did not fit. I pulled out the stock fittings off the engine adapter ring and the 1/2 NPT fittings from the cooler side worked so I'm going with all four (4738-08-08B).
But PAW who sold me the cooler thought those connections would leak.

2 questions- Did the engine side adapters in the writeup work for you ?

Does the system leak at all using the adapters recommended ?

thanks

TurboBuicks.com - Upgrade To The F-Body Radiator

Has anyone tried this and does it work connection wise ? I tried the ends recommended for the engine side and they did not fit. I pulled out the stock fittings off the engine adapter ring and the 1/2 NPT fittings from the cooler side worked so I'm going with all four (4738-08-08B).
But PAW who sold me the cooler thought those connections would leak.

2 questions- Did the engine side adapters in the writeup work for you ?

Does the system leak at all using the adapters recommended ?

thanks

We (students at school shop) did this install about 2 years ago.....no problems or leaks!!!!

What external oil cooler did you use?

(1) B&M Engine oil cooler (Summit Racing part # 70273)
(2) Oil cooler hose fittings (Aeroquip part # 4738-8-8B)
(2) Oil cooler hose fittings (Aeroquip part #4740-8B)
(1) Oil cooler hose (Aeroquip part # 2556-8)

(1) B&M Engine oil cooler (Summit Racing part # 70273)
(2) Oil cooler hose fittings (Aeroquip part # 4738-8-8B)
(2) Oil cooler hose fittings (Aeroquip part #4740-8B)
(1) Oil cooler hose (Aeroquip part # 2556-8)

HAHA im a moron! i misread the article. i thought it said it was assuming you already had an oil cooler but its assuming the trans cooler! thanks a bunch!

For $99.00 dollars that seem to be a good price. My question is, will it work with a F/M intercooler and stay under 180 on a hot day???? Because i was thinking i was going to have to go to a GN1 aluminum radiator for $375.00

For $99.00 dollars that seem to be a good price. My question is, will it work with a F/M intercooler and stay under 180 on a hot day???? Because i was thinking i was going to have to go to a GN1 aluminum radiator for $375.00

Well from my experience with a stock location intercooler and a B&M transcooler in front of it, mine cooled fantastic. A friend of mine had a Precision Front Mount with the Fbody rad, and transcooler, and the highest I ever saw it get was 185-190 and that was going up a mountain in the summer. going down the other side it cooled right back down! I plan on putting one on my car before summer sets in!

The 4740 did not work in my engine cooler adapter which had stock hoses on it, so I guess I got the wrong parts in the box - they had the right part number on the bag, no number on the part itself. I'd pull the stock connectors at the the cooler adapter then you can run the 4738 which are 1/2 NPT - got em for $2 each as opposed to $12 each for the 4740. I'm also getting a couple 90 degree 1/2 NPT adapters from Summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRM-15158/ so I can run the lines out parallel with the oil filter as opposed to straight up which brings you close to the intercooler fan. Picked up hose and fittings at Aeroquip Hose, Aeroquip Fittings & More From Aeroquip.cc they blew away anyone elses prices, but did take two weeks to get the stuff. Remember to get a cooler mounting kit - http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-210/ Total for everything - $130 Don't have a front mount but you'll have to pull the stock X cross mount bars since the oil cooler is thicker than a trans cooler. I have both coolers and it is easier to just pull the grill then trying to work from the bottom up.

The 4740 did not work in my engine cooler adapter which had stock hoses on it, so I guess I got the wrong parts in the box - they had the right part number on the bag, no number on the part itself. I'd pull the stock connectors at the the cooler adapter then you can run the 4738 which are 1/2 NPT - got em for $2 each as opposed to $12 each for the 4740. I'm also getting a couple 90 degree 1/2 NPT adapters from Summit Perma-Cool 15158 - Perma-Cool Couplers - Overview - SummitRacing.com so I can run the lines out parallel with the oil filter as opposed to straight up which brings you close to the intercooler fan. Picked up hose and fittings at Aeroquip Hose, Aeroquip Fittings & More From Aeroquip.cc they blew away anyone elses prices, but did take two weeks to get the stuff. Remember to get a cooler mounting kit - Hayden Automotive 210 - Hayden Fluid Cooler Mounting Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com Total for everything - $130 Don't have a front mount but you'll have to pull the stock X cross mount bars since the oil cooler is thicker than a trans cooler. I have both coolers and it is easier to just pull the grill then trying to work from the bottom up.

williamsGN, did you get this installed ok? I want to do this project and trying to get my ducks in a row...

To clarify, is this what i need:

4738-08-08B / Male Pipe Push-on Fitting x 4

90 degree 1/2 NPT adapters X 2 (did they work out ok?)

Oil cooler hose Aeroquip part # 2556-8

BM Oil Cooler

Mounting Kit

Pics of your setup? leaks? Tips?

THANKS!

Really?

You just pulled the stock connectors at the the cooler adapter then you can run the 4738 no problem?

Pulled the stock fitting and ended up with 4 of Aeroquip FBM1203 - Aeroquip Socketless Hose Ends - Overview - SummitRacing.com

the 4738 is a two piece design and leaked where they joined
the fbm1203 is same size ends, one piece design... no leaks.

Leave extra hose on it since you'll have to cut the hose if you ever have to remove the lines, vasoline or the assembly lube they sell for the hose is a must.

ahhh...thanks...

I was thinking of these, which looks to be the same:
fitting 1 of 2:
Perma-Cool 15156 - Perma-Cool Hose Barb Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

fitting 2 of 2:
Perma-Cool 15158 - Perma-Cool Couplers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

is 1/2 same as -8AN ? I had -8 hose so went with -8 connectors as I listed

edit - if you have -8 hose I wouldn't go with the ones you listed, look at the difference, your has smaller 'barbs' and I don't know if it'll hold onto the hose. You don't want regular 1/2 hose trying to hold 70 psi either.

is 1/2 same as -8AN ? I had -8 hose so went with -8 connectors as I listed

edit - if you have -8 hose I wouldn't go with the ones you listed, look at the difference, your has smaller 'barbs' and I don't know if it'll hold onto the hose. You don't want regular 1/2 hose trying to hold 70 psi either.

Thanks.

Same size, but I do like the FBM1203's better.

And you did use the 90 degree couplers, right?
Perma-Cool 15158 - Perma-Cool Couplers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Yep, and some sealant - I had the Loctite teflon based left over from the head studs, so I used it between the connectors and into the cooler adapter.

Pulled the stock fitting and ended up with 4 of Aeroquip FBM1203 - Aeroquip Socketless Hose Ends - Overview - SummitRacing.com

the 4738 is a two piece design and leaked where they joined
the fbm1203 is same size ends, one piece design... no leaks.

Leave extra hose on it since you'll have to cut the hose if you ever have to remove the lines, vasoline or the assembly lube they sell for the hose is a must.

So now i am pissed. i just spent $45 with aeroquip.cc for 4 of the 4738s and some hose plus shipping. You are telling me that these fittings leak?! Were you able to return them and get your money back?

How did you install the fbm1203? tighten them onto cooler/adapter and THEN install hose? since they dont spin?

Right, I spent about 60 getting the connections in the original write up and didn't end up being able to use any..... so If someone wants to buy them :)

Yeah, the fittings won't spin, so put them into place first, then push on the hose. I put the cooler together then fit it around the rad. with the hose on it. Fun ones are pushing on the cooler ends while its in the car... Lube is a must.

Right, I spent about 60 using the connections in the original write up and didn't end up using any..... so If someone wants to buy them :)

Yeah, the fittings won't spin, so put them into place first, then push on the hose. I put the cooler together then fit it around the rad. with the hose on it. Fun ones are pushing on the cooler ends while its in the car... Lube is a must.

10-4

looks like I need to spend another $55 through Summit for 1 piece fittings, 90* couplers and lube....

How does your new system cool and are you using the f-body radiator?

No leaks at 70psi, just broke in new motor. Using stock rad (with a 4 core)/fan which should run hotter, stayed in the 160s - always had a trans cooler and no cooling issues with it either. B&M is thicker but takes up less space then the trans cooler

Pics

Cooler 'wet spot ;)' was from the leaky 4738s, no problems with the 1203s

Attachments

• 100_2485.jpg
    100_2485.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 478
  • 100_2493.jpg
    100_2493.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 489