B&M external cooler writeup for F-body radiators.

When installing the F-body radiator, I did it like this ... Permacool motor oil/trans oil cooler and had longer oil lines made up ...

Attachments

• parts 4 sale 008.jpg
    parts 4 sale 008.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 402
  • Picture 213.jpg
    Picture 213.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 401
hello people; to the Red T from Florida. What kind of coolant temps you gettin down there with that rad.?
IBBY

Well i decided to go a bit of a different direction because i am on a very tight budget and i absolutely hate paying double shipping charges when i can get it all in one place! :D I took the idea Jsta6 had and did some investigating. Perma cool shows a 300 degree working temp and a 250 psi working pressure on their fittings with the 1/2" hose so i felt pretty safe running 70-80psi cold oil pressure through it. I found everything I needed at Jegs.

B&M SuperCooler 70273
Perma Cool 1/2" barbed fittings 2 pair 15156
Perma Cool 1/2" angled fittings 1 pair 15158
Hose and fitting assembly kit, comes with thread sealant and hose lube 28010
Jegs Oil cooler hose 1/2" x 12feet 51720
Cooler mounting kit 53500

Even though the tech at perma cool said i shouldnt need them, i think im going to use some hose clamps just to feel safer. But the whole project is getting shipped to me in Montana for under $140!
Im doing the fbody swap, with a trans cooler inline after the radiator, and installing dual 12" spal fans. I decided to upsize to the dual 12" since I am keeping AC and running a precision front mount. I figure by the time the air gets through the front mount, oil and trans coolers, ac condenser, and radiator its going to be moving fairly slow so i needed all the pulling power i could get! Not to mention its only $65 more for the 12s. Caspers said they would modify the harness for free since the dual 12s use a more heavy duty sealed plug.
Once everything is put together I will post some operating temps.
Its going to be a few weeks since i have to do a cam swap at the same time.:mad:

yea it confused me at first but the description next to the price said 1/2" x 12' hose so i bought it! if it comes and its wrong it will be their problem! :biggrin:

hello people; to the Red T from Florida. What kind of coolant temps you gettin down there with that rad.?
IBBY

I think it works better than the stock radiator ever did. It runs about 185 with the air on if it's in the 90s. Runs cooler of course when it's only in the 80s. I have them on both my TRs. For the price, performance, and light weight, you can't beat it. :smile:

This is great.

My radiator finally died so I replaced it with the f-body aluminum one.

Water temp does not get higher then 160. I ride in mixed city / highway traffic with AC on. Outside temp is 85-95 degrees. I have the valeo / dodge / ramchargers dual fans with caspers relay adapter. I have a home-made "radiator / grille box-in" kit and run RMI-25.

The only problem I had was the barbs were just a little to big on the fittings I bought (15156), but luckily, I had another set laying around from an old B&M oil cooler and they worked fine.

I used braided -8AN hose.

barbs to big:
Perma-Cool 15156 - Perma-Cool Hose Barb Fittings - Overview - SummitRacing.com

This was for the fittings for the oil filter adapter plate:
Perma-Cool 15158 - Perma-Cool Couplers - Overview - SummitRacing.com

hose:
Summit Racing SUM-230810 - Summit Racing® Stainless Steel Hose - Overview - SummitRacing.com

No problem... I pull it from below, have to work it around the intercooler mount and steering linkage, but it comes out.

Some places sell filter wrenches that go around the end of the filter and you use a rachet, or you can hammer a phillips screw driver through it. I've learned to just snug them.