ATR and Poston same price...

EyeTalk2Trees

I've been doing lots os research and price checking, its hard to find info on HotAir exhaust. Ok, on Postons website they have Hotair headers for $498, a cross over is $89 from them as well. Then the only new down pipes are slightly over $400 for a THDP and $300 for a mease version. Add them up and its $897 for the system with a mease and $1007 for a system with a TH. ATR has the entire set up for $988. I'm not trying to crack anyone at all but I don't understand how Poston is cheaper. Please someone straighten me out. I'm only using this car as a daily driver with "fun" every once in a while, so splitting hairs as to a slightly better flow (mease vs Houston or poston vs ATR) I just want a new aftermarket exhaust system that I won't crack or leak.

any kind of headers for a turbo buick are gunna be expensive because they are not mass produced.

tho i do think poston and atr sell the same headers and crosspipe
theres only 1 real kind i believe for the hot-airs

i believe the price differences, are just different vendor mark-ups , ya know?
if you wanna save cash you can get the ATR 2.5 downpipe
its basically just a stainless mandrel bent 2.5 downpipe
its alot better then stock

i bought mine, its a nice peice and ATR sells them for $150

anything larger then a 2.5" downpipe is gonna be a SOAB to put in with the engine still in the car.

im not sure it would be worth the cash to even buy a THDP with a stock turbo, maybe ya can ask around.

it all comes down to how much you wanna spend and what your future plans for the car are.:D

when did terry houston start making dp's for hotairs?:confused:

the mease dp is a th style with integral wastegate.

chris wilson went ~117 mph with his 2.5" atr dp...

I'm thinking of getting the Poston Headers and crossover, then waiting for a good used downpipe. If I go with the Postons, will an ATR 2.5" dp fit? basicly if I get the postons I won't be limiting myself of any upgrades i want to make later?

thanks

The DP doesn't have any contact with the headers so no matter what you do you will be fine. The thing you need to worry about is the upPipe. And I'm assuming that both sets are made to line up exactly like stock, so either way would work...

ATR Stainless

The ATR system is made from stainless steel. Postons is all steel. I think that's why there's such a price difference.

the poston headers for the hot air are nice
actually the stock exhaust manifolds on the car are quite restrictive
so either brand of headers are a great improvement, and its not like their will be other vendors putting out some new and improved hot-aired headers.

Headers help alot with turbo spool.......

YOu might as well get the Downpipe now when you get ready to install the headers.
its a heck of alot easier to get that DP in, with the passenger side header off, TRUST ME !!!!!!

plus.........
why would you wanna put some nice headers on a turbo car, if your gunna restrict and choke the flow at the end of the exhaust system with that kinked up stock DP?

so save up and do it at once,
its better then cussin and kickin your car cuz you cant get that DP IN to save your life lol

:D

There is (or was) a guy on here with a set of used KB headers. As I understand it, they are a completely diffrent design.

Some say they are great.......some hate them.

I was going to buy them, but don't think they would fit with my ordered mease downpipe.

I think the Kenne Bells are the best for power. I've had mine since 96 with no cracks. They are a dual stage design so they require a specific downpipe. I had to modify my Lee Thompson downpipe to clear them. They are sold as a set with a 2.5" downpipe included. I paid ~800 for the set in 96. That includes crossover.