Astroroof ... help

I do recall that 1985 CF5 equiped WH1 I parted has some sort of plastic plug in the headliner.
Gotta go dig up pics of where it was.
I think I've even seen that wrenchy tool in my unknown parts box.
Hell - I thought it was for a garbage disposal for when I throw chicken bones down its throat. :D

I do recall that 1985 CF5 equiped WH1 I parted has some sort of plastic plug in the headliner.
Gotta go dig up pics of where it was.
I think I've even seen that wrenchy tool in my unknown parts box.
Hell - I thought it was for a garbage disposal for when I throw chicken bones down its throat. :D
HAHAHA...there was one for sale a couple of days ago on the board ...$75.00

Bryan

Yes mines is a factory roof.. It has a small hole near the switch with a fabric covered grommet..

Bad news is even with the manual wrench I could still feel the slippage in the gears.. Really hard to turn but eventually got it open .. Nothing was stuck in the track.
Good news is I finally closed my astroroof all the way... In three years I have never took the time to manually close it 100%.. Its garage kept so I never bothered.. Its always been opened just enough to get annoying wind noise in the car...lol

I will try to test drive to confirm this week..

Can't really tell from this pic where the access hole is....:D

Oops..poor little fella...I felt bad when it was in the jaws of that pit bull of a machine. :(
I shoulda kept that roof...but even it was rusted.
Oh well - can't save em all.

Attachments

• MISC 010.JPG
    MISC 010.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 79
HAHAHA...there was one for sale a couple of days ago on the board ...$75.00

Bryan

And I assume it is gold plated and encrusted with diamonds for that price? :mad:

Yeah - I can tell by the vast amount of parts for sale and their prices that Christmas is coming.

Yes mines is a factory roof.. It has a small hole near the switch with a fabric covered grommet..

Bad news is even with the manual wrench I could still feel the slippage in the gears.. Really hard to turn but eventually got it open .. Nothing was stuck in the track.
Good news is I finally closed my astroroof all the way... In three years I have never took the time to manually close it 100%.. Its garage kept so I never bothered.. Its always been opened just enough to get annoying wind noise in the car...lol

I will try to test drive to confirm this week..

This is where Bryan says - "I sense a new moonroof in your future" - or something really inspiring like that.
It is usually something that makes you want to slit your wrists or chug down a whole 16 oz can of Comet.

On a serious note:
Let's pray that the motor gear is all it is.
I have no earthly idea how you would go about finding or replacing the cables.
James / TTA owner I suppose - but the expertise needed to replace them....ugghhh..
I have a spare entire assy in my garage - trip over it regularly - look at it once a week - and still walk away dumbfounded.
And I worked for ASC putting them in!
:confused:

And I assume it is gold plated and encrusted with diamonds for that price? :mad:

Yeah - I can tell by the vast amount of parts for sale and their prices that Christmas is coming.
Nope...just the regular wrench....
If you would like one with gold and jewels let me know...I will get right on it...........after a nice deposit. LOL

If you dont have the CF5 manual contact Phoff, he had a couple of repair books a couple of weeks ago.

Bryan

This is where Bryan says - "I sense a new moonroof in your future" - or something really inspiring like that.
It is usually something that makes you want to slit your wrists or chug down a whole 16 oz can of Comet.
Damn, you are getting good......:D

Bryan

If you would like one with gold and jewels let me know...I will get right on it...........after a nice deposit. LOL

If you dont have the CF5 manual contact Phoff, he had a couple of repair books a couple of weeks ago.

Bryan

For free - or....the usual...29 bucks plus the ride.
I'm sick of spending all my extra money on these cars.
I protest.

Bryan

By the prices of some of the for sale ads - you'd think people were trying to buy their kids new cars for Christmas.
I'm serious - I'm boycotting some of this.
It gets ridiculous.
I'll let the rain come in the open top before I spend 75 bucks on a piece of bent steel!
Errr..or a tarp....classy! :D

Bryan

You work on the gold part - I got your jewels right here. :D

Look at it like this the cf5 moonroof was around $925 option when new close to 30 years ago now and not many opted for it due to cost and supposedly a 3 month wait to convert them. So all these years later how many do you suppose are left? I have had 6 cf5 cars and 5 out of the 6 were turbo cars. How many people are chopping up turbo cars these days? Not many !!! Then how many of the chopped up turbo cars happen to have this option ? Very few!!! Out of my 6 cf5 cars I have maybe gotten 2 of those little small easy to lose wrenches. I think $75 is a fair price .

I do have parts for the cf5 roofs if anybody needs them

hello; IMO you have the original wrench for the moon roofs and that's great and some people have to have original stuff but why not duplicate it and sell that. You'd be helping the rest of the turbo heads who have a MR car and that's the name of the game.
IBBY

hello; IMO you have the original wrench for the moon roofs and that's great and some people have to have original stuff but why not duplicate it and sell that. You'd be helping the rest of the turbo heads who have a MR car and that's the name of the game.
IBBY

Why don't you buy 1 and replicate it? Do you have any idea what tooling costs would be? Probably a easy $10,000 or more so if you sold 133 of them at $75 and if it only cost $10,000 you would be even. Not profitable so nobody will probably do it

Look at it like this the cf5 moonroof was around $925 option when new close to 30 years ago now and not many opted for it due to cost and supposedly a 3 month wait to convert them. So all these years later how many do you suppose are left? I have had 6 cf5 cars and 5 out of the 6 were turbo cars. How many people are chopping up turbo cars these days? Not many !!! Then how many of the chopped up turbo cars happen to have this option ? Very few!!! Out of my 6 cf5 cars I have maybe gotten 2 of those little small easy to lose wrenches. I think $75 is a fair price .

I do have parts for the cf5 roofs if anybody needs them

James - I sent you a PM a while ago.
"If" - a big if - I end up making a run at this car that has the JC Whitney Pop up - but has the CF5 on the SPID - how much for a decent whole pan / assy?
I think they may - big "may" been able to find a pop up that slid in the factory original.
If this is so - I could restore.

So. how much?
Forget about shipping - I'd pick up and ship to ATL

Attachments

• MISC GFDG 096.JPG
    MISC GFDG 096.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 76
I have a guy that's suppose to buy a whole roof section and pan etc he's doing a conversion. I have 1 of my own cars that I need to fix the roof on I don't know what's wrong yet other than it wouldn't open. I may have up to 3 setups but I don't want to sell myself short. I will let you know if I have anything extra and price