Astro Van steering shaft?

TireFryer

The New Kid
I’m looking at buying one of these, from someone on the board here. Says that it is a drop in piece. Are these a drop in or do they need modifications to fit?

You’ll need to grind a small notch (3/16”) at the bottom of the steering wheel shaft (at the firewall) for the pinch bolt.
Not the most convenient spot. I used a die grinder. I think with the shaft oriented correctly, it would be doable with a rat tail file.
The steering box end of the mine rubbed on the large reservoir return hose. I had to shorten it 1”, but mine is an original ‘86 non recall reservoir which I believe is a bit different.

This is what I used. Dropped right in. I test fit, Loctited bolts, & torqued.

No fitment issues, at least not on my car. I also replaced the shaft bearing setup by the firewall.

With the Hooker Blackheart shaft you still needed to grind on the lower steering shaft for the upper bolt right?

Thanks for any clarification.
Craig

if you drop it in as removed from the astro the steering wheel will be 90 degrees off
shaft needs to have one end removed (grind off tabs ) and rotated 90 deg (then welded ) to match the regal
there are vids on yutube

if you drop it in as removed from the astro the steering wheel will be 90 degrees off
shaft needs to have one end removed (grind off tabs ) and rotated 90 deg (then welded ) to match the regal
there are vids on yutube
Well. That’s not drop in is it. Could you link a video to this?