Art Carr 9" vs PTC 9.5

incharge

I have a billet 9" real Art Carr with a 3500 stall and was wondering if the ptc 9.5 convertor is better. and if it was worth changing ...

Here's a few things to consider about your current converter:

1. does it spool the turbo sufficiently at the line
2. does it pull the engine down on shifts (800-1000RPM)
3. does it have reasonable slip through the traps (<10%)

#2 and #3 will tell you if you are blowing through your converter. The right converter will do all of these thing well.

Ive ran both and nothing will come close to the PTC. The best ive seen up top with an AC is 8% and that was stretching it on rpm. 10-12% is the norm. If you are running a hydraulic cammed setup then you will have a hard time finding anything that will out e.t. the 9.5" PTC. The PTC will cruise at a lower rpm also.

I am fixing to change my 9" converter to a 10" w/2800 stall. What company is PTC and do you think it would make a good converter for a daily driver?

Ptc

Performance Torque Converters, get with Dusty Bradford on this board he can hook you up.:cool: :cool: :cool:

I am fixing to change my 9" converter to a 10" w/2800 stall. What company is PTC and do you think it would make a good converter for a daily driver?

PM me for details on your combo.

If your 9" is currently a non lock, I'll need to know if your looking to go back to lock-up. We'll work out the stall details when I get your info.

PM me for details on your combo.

If your 9" is currently a non lock, I'll need to know if your looking to go back to lock-up. We'll work out the stall details when I get your info.

I apoligize for high-jacking the board, but is there any way you can tell me the difference between a N/L stall and a Lock-Up? Are they any power gains? Whats the performance difference between both? Is there a certain level that you should run one instead of the other? Sorry to ask, im just curious, when i purchased my TR it came with an Art Carr 9" N/L.. i was told it was a great converter. but never realy could tell the differnce between the N/L n Lock up units.. Hey Dusty, roughly about how much do your 9.5 stall run for?? thanks.. and sorry for the trouble.. :)

I apoligize for high-jacking the board, but is there any way you can tell me the difference between a N/L stall and a Lock-Up? Are they any power gains? Whats the performance difference between both? Is there a certain level that you should run one instead of the other? Sorry to ask, im just curious, when i purchased my TR it came with an Art Carr 9" N/L.. i was told it was a great converter. but never realy could tell the differnce between the N/L n Lock up units.. Hey Dusty, roughly about how much do your 9.5 stall run for?? thanks.. and sorry for the trouble.. :)

There are a ton of details that would have to be discussed to answer all the questions.

The same identical converters can be had in lock-up vs non lock. For example, my 2800 10" can be had in lock-up or non lock. The only difference is one can be locked for cruising and the other can't. My lock-ups are single disk. The drawback of this type converter is they can't take WOT locking so they have to be ran unlocked at the track so the combo has to work together to get good performance. You would not notice any performance gain from one to the other at the track. These have ran into the mid 10's in the TR's but you will see the slip #'s climbing quickly at the 11.00 range.

Then you have the lock-up's that are designed for WOT locking.

Then there is the race oriented non locks like the 9" Art Carr and the 9.5 PTC. These use a totally different core which can't be had in lock-up. The advantage is the converter isn't limited to the parts which must be used to retain lock-up. The 9" is an older design that still works well. The 9.5 is a newer design that drives much better than the 9" yet meets the needs of the lower rpm range of most TR engines.

For the record, I love my 9.5" N/L from Dusty. Works awesome! Idles up the driveway into the garage (3400 stall at 0psi) couples great at wide open, and was only 200 rpm more at cruising speeds. Even under no load cruising at a leisurely 95mph the car was only turning 2900 rpm.

Dusty,do you know how much it would cost to restall a 10" lu.Mine car spools super slow with the converter thats in it.0 boost at 2,250 rpm.and then its a strugle to get over 5 lbs of boost.Takes almost 10-12 seconds of brake boosting to reach 12 lbs.Its a 3,200 stall now if that matters.

Dusty,do you know how much it would cost to restall a 10" lu.Mine car spools super slow with the converter thats in it.0 boost at 2,250 rpm.and then its a strugle to get over 5 lbs of boost.Takes almost 10-12 seconds of brake boosting to reach 12 lbs.Its a 3,200 stall now if that matters.

PM sent. If you have any details on what converter you have, we'll go from there.