Are they ever going to legalize weed?

Legalizing would be a good thing. Stiffer penalties for anyone growing it and not paying tax on it would need to be required. It wouldnt do anything to lower prison populations. Possession with intent to sell would still be an arrest. I doubt anyone selling it now charges sales tax or pays any kind of income tax.

Legalizing would be a good thing. Stiffer penalties for anyone growing it and not paying tax on it would need to be required. It wouldnt do anything to lower prison populations. Possession with intent to sell would still be an arrest. I doubt anyone selling it now charges sales tax or pays any kind of income tax.
About 15% of prisoners are in there for possession of Marijuana. While I don't think it would have the impact people think it would, I still think it would help lower prisoners. I think in general we put people in prison too easily. I have witnessed someone go to jail (I don't remember if they were going to go to prison), for not having a fishing license. He couldn't afford to pay the fine so off to jail he went. It was pretty messed up. We imprison more people per capita than any other country.

Society has always used drug/alcohol. Nothing new. At one point the US got 75% of all it's taxes from alcohol sales before there was an income tax. If weed was legalized there would probably be a sharp rise in use but then drop off. I say legalize it and tax it. Prostitution too.

I agree with the prostitution too. It leads to regulations, i.e. cleaner hookers, and to less rapes.

The show I watched was on national geographic. I wouldnr be able to smoke because of my job and the fact that the employer wouldn't be able to tell if I was under the influence while at work since it stays in your system so long. But if I didn't have to worry about drug tests, there's no reason I should get arrested of I lit one up in the garage. Most people have tried it and most like it. Cigs are horrible, alcohol also is unhealthy but we can use them legally if we choose to. It gives states income from tax. Legalizing weed would give the government the opportunity to regulate it.

its bad enough now. and you want to help the druggies get it?
give me a break, this is what wrong with this country,
I hope they never legalize it!

Every 36 seconds someone is arrested in the US for possession of Marijuana, legalize it tax it and regulate it just like they did with alcohol..

Rafs-T-Type said:
About 15% of prisoners are in there for possession of Marijuana. While I don't think it would have the impact people think it would, I still think it would help lower prisoners. I think in general we put people in prison too easily. I have witnessed someone go to jail (I don't remember if they were going to go to prison), for not having a fishing license. He couldn't afford to pay the fine so off to jail he went. It was pretty messed up. We imprison more people per capita than any other country.

Possession with intent to sell. Big difference.

Rafs-T-Type said:
Corporations would lose a lot of money. Our government is owned by the corporations. That is the reason it became illegal to begin with. The lumber companies stood to loose a lot of invested money so they lobbied to make it illegal. For this reason it will stay illegal.

The alcohol lobby is very large, and as you might imagine, the alcohol producers really don't want the legal competition.

all this talk about "stuff made out of hemp" is just a smokescreen (pardon the pun) by potheads to try to make it seem like their recreational drug of choice has uses besides making people want to go to taco Bell at 2 am for a 10 pack of Dorito Loco tacos..
quote]

Marijuana and industrial hemp are not the same thing. Industrial hemp has many, many commerical uses. Read up on some non-government inspired history to see how this was recognized early on in this country and outlawed.

We can't legislate morality. If we are supposed to be a free society, then let those who wish to partake in the earth's bounty do it.

As for the prison populations, no victim=no crime. Taxing it and other guilty pleasures will only create another bureaucratic monster. Let the invisible hand of the free market do its own thing.

The only catch to legalizing it is that unless the feds agree to legalize it a state can get raided for selling it. In this case federal law procedes state laws.;)

Honestly, I'm not able to smoke but I have a hard time hearing about people constantly getting busted for pot. Police always puffing their chests up about how they are cracking down on it, but in all reality, nobody will be able to stop people from smoking pot. People like it, it grows in dirt. It doesnt need to be manufactured. You pick it, dry it, and then smoke it. How can you stop that? You cant. We just spend sooooo mmuch money trying to keep it illegal and it's a lost cause and waste of tax payers money. Now you have it changing hands through dealers on the streets and have no way to control what goes in it along the way. Some kid buys it and doesnt know someone stuck rat poisoning in it, next thing you know, that kid is sick or dies. That is what I would consider unsafe about pot. Not the pot itself, but the lack of professional handling and control of it.

If you make it legal, tax it, control it, and regulate it, you now have a business that will BOOM! Debt will be erased. People love to smoke. They will pay money to do so whether it be at a local gas station over the counter, or around the corner from that low rent dealer. I dont want my kid to ever smoke pot but if he ever did, I would be a hell of a lot less nervous if it was purchased from a regulated company.

Julio's right, of course. It's all about the home life or lack of it. That said, on one hand, I'm all for undoing most of these ridiculous federal and state regs, but on the other, really don't want to share any of my "space" with losers/stoners. We've got plenty around here now, don't need any more, legal or otherwise...

Legalize it.. Tax it.. process it figure out a way to turn it into 420 HIGH-ANOL (ethanol) lol and make my Buick get the muchies for vette's and porche's.. lol
:D

Julio's right, of course. It's all about the home life or lack of it. That said, on one hand, I'm all for undoing most of these ridiculous federal and state regs, but on the other, really don't want to share any of my "space" with losers/stoners. We've got plenty around here now, don't need any more, legal or otherwise...

You only notice the obvious stoners. There are plenty out there that you are unaware of and probably are friends or at least acquantances with right now.