Are there still 547 around?

tb3

elbows & a$$holes
Just curious is all.... Is it safe to say that all 547 still exist? Or does anybody know of a actual GNX that has taken a long ride off a short pier? Or ended up getting wrapped around a tree or telephone poll and split into 4 sections? Or maybe somebody who didn't know they where rare put 250,000 on it and then retired it for parts?

Turbobuick2 said:
Just curious is all.... Is it safe to say that all 547 still exist? Or does anybody know of a actual GNX that has taken a long ride off a short pier? Or ended up getting wrapped around a tree or telephone poll and split into 4 sections? Or maybe somebody who didn't know they where rare put 250,000 on it and then retired it for parts?

There's the one that got split in two by a telephone pole (I think).

Turbobuick2 said:

i know for a fact that GNX 3?? was stolen in the Pittsburgh aera and was cut up in 96. i bought some of the parts at a auction. the car was a 9,000 mile car . the guys that did it went to jail for 5 years .

5 years??? in this country??? Are you sure? Sheesh! The way our joke of a justice system almost "rewards" criminals these days. I'm surprised if they served 5 days. :frown:

Turbobuick2 said:
5 years??? in this country??? Are you sure? Sheesh! The way our joke of a justice system almost "rewards" criminals these days. I'm surprised if they served 5 days. :frown:

they were charged with over 100 stolen cars and the X was one of them

they should have gotten the firing squad... and all the riflemen should be TR owners....

But yea, theres a lot of gnx's that were wrecked or driven to death. I know of one around here (detroit) that is beat down daily. The losers that now make up 98% of my home cities population, destroy these things like theyre going out of style. 22" chrome rims, aftermarket cheesy shift handles from auto zone, cut up door panels with rediculous speakers in them, bright metal flake paint jobs etc etc. One pulled into a local car show, and it wasnt lookin too nice IMO. I mean she was stock, just really beat down... I doubt theres 490 still left. As rare as TR's in general are, I still see a decent amount of them, cuz I live in the state that the gn/tr/tta were built in. Just today, at my mechanics shop (aggressive auto) theres 4 BEAT down grand nationals.. People just dont care about these things.... thats ok though. They are THE next hemi cuda convertibles in my opinion. in 10 more years, well be down to about 9 grand on the planet, and theyll double in price easily... providing you dont have a ten foot wide front mount, an 88 turbo, with 99 pound injectors, weld pro stars, and your heat/air ripped out.. (like i see soo many do.. unfortunately...) Its a sacrilige... its like taking an original lime green numbers matching barracuda, and putting 20 inch rims on it, and a 400lbs stero with tinted windows....

You can thank me for taking one of the nice ones out of your state. lol Sorry about that. I flew into Detroit last Feb. and bought a mint condition 100% original fully loaded GN and brought it back home to St. Louis. This car will never see the GettoZone add-ons as long as its in my posession. 547 seems like a small #, and I guess it is as far as production vehicles go. But add that with the value and hype, and it does have the performance to back it up unlike the 215 82 non turbo GN's, and I would think this would be the one turbobuick model that maybe 90% of them could be realistically tracked down and verified to still exist. I've always read that most where snatched up by collectors and dealers personal collections. So I just thought it would be interesting to see if anybody knows of any that where rode hard and thrown away.

Turbobuick2 said:
547 seems like a small #, and I guess it is as far as production vehicles go. .

I'm not sure if you understand, but he's not talking about GN's...he's talking about GNX's. I'm not sure how many and I'm to lazy to look it up but there was like 20k 87'GN's built and out of that was only 547 GNX's. They're very rare and probaly less than 547 left. If you understand, sorry about it.

Anyways, I went and test drove a trully nice T-type the other day. As I pulled up to this light, me and the owner noticed this questionable guy looking the car over in the next lane. Then the guy backs up and asked if the car was for sale...seeing it had a for sale sign on it. The owner quickly tells the guy yes and says 12k. The guy said damn and drove off. I looked over at him thinking damn thats more than I was told. As we drove down the road, he looks over and says, I always ask more if they look like the type to slap some big ass wheel on it or want to drop it lol

yes yes, I know all the production #'s. But maybe I am misunderstanding turbosmackdown. I interpreted the treatment of GN's hes seen in Detroit as being regular GN's, not GNX's. I can understand one or two (GNX's) being beat down daily, but where he quoted "destroy these things like theyre going out of style. 22" chrome rims, aftermarket cheesy shift handles from auto zone, cut up door panels with rediculous speakers in them, bright metal flake paint jobs etc etc. One pulled into a local car show, and it wasnt lookin too nice IMO. I mean she was stock, just really beat down... I doubt theres 490 still left."

and he's describing actual GNX's, not GN's, then wow, Maybe I'm putting these cars (GNX's) up on too high a pedestal in my mind. Forgive me, I am still pretty ignorant to a lot of things about turbobuicks. I bought my first GN back in Jan. :)

Unbelievable! Thanks for the link. Never saw that before. When you hit a pole so fast and hard that the car just explodes and the body completely seperates from the frame and wheels and continues on down the street, and you walk away with just cuts and bruises.....

I would not be suprised if there are at least 520 left. Due to the GNX'x built-in collector status right out of the ASC facility on day one, many of these cars have been hoarded, some by the multiples, by major collectors and stored, others singularly moth-balled and stored by turbo buick enthusiasts, who have pampered and polished them over the years and restricted the miles to maintenance miles or very infrequent sunny day drives only. Thus the exposure from day one to possible total loss or destruction of most GNX's is way below average. Not too many GNX's have been relegated to daily driver status. In fact I would even say a GNX's exposure to rain is a rare event. Ever seen a rusty GNX?

originally i was talking about gnx's.. but then my little post turned into how turbo regals overall, are abused nationwide. but i know of 2 myself (gnx) that are beat up around here.... :( it sickens me, and i want to pull them out of the car, and beat them unmerciful with a billy club about the head chest, neck and face. for about 25 to 35 minutes.