Are non-stock intercoolers legal in Ca.?

Gary Wells

White turbo Buick trailer park trash
Are non-stock factory mount intercoolers, or even front mounts legal in Ca.?

Wells said:
Not really, Gary, unless they have a CARB E.O. number. ATR's did, and I think the Kenne Bell, too. OTOH, you can probably get away with it, because most smog guys know they don't affect emissions, I'm sure gofstbuick has insights.

Mac in SD said:
Not really, Gary, unless they have a CARB E.O. number. ATR's did, and I think the Kenne Bell, too. OTOH, you can probably get away with it, because most smog guys know they don't affect emissions, I'm sure gofstbuick has insights.
---------------------------------------------
Ok, thanks, Mac. Are you going to the Westminister Buick Show on the 19th. You're car would sure show nice, and don't say that it is too far to travel because the car club that sponsors this is out of San diego, So Cal Gran Sports. Fun show. Hope to see you & your car there.

Wells said:
------------------------------------------
gofstbuick: what words of wisdom do you have regarding factory mount aftermarket intercoolers in Ca?

Wells said:
------------------------------------------
gofstbuick: what words of wisdom do you have regarding factory mount aftermarket intercoolers in Ca?

Inspectors are like bass, they are attracted to things that are shiney...........

Haven't dealt with CA, but I have had to deal with AZ emissions inspectors and as long as everything "appears stock" and it passes the sniffer, there isn't a problem. I have heard of people failing because of a K&N airfilter (with no paperwork, but was actually legal) and passing with illegal cams, turbo's etc.........

Also, make sure everything under the hood has an equal amount of dirt and grime on it. Nice clean parts in a dirty engine bay are a dead giveaway that something has been done in an attempt to pass emmissions.

HTH

Aftermarket intercoolers are items that are not of concern as long as required emission control systems are not affected. According to CA these are category 1 items in the smog check manual (appendix k).

Ok, thanks, Joe. (Joe) right? What does catagory 1 mean?
So even at the strictest of stations, as long as the sniffer passes, they shouldn't hassle me for any factory location mount, even the ones that are sheet metal and definitley do not look stock?

Regarding intercoolers, you could have a front mount that covers the whole area of the core support and it would still be legal as long as all required emissions control systems are hooked up, functioning and are un-affected by the addition of the front mount intercooler. So go ahead and put any aftermarket intercooler on you TR or TTA and it will be legal. Even adding an intercooler to a hot air car is okay. If hassled, then refer your local emissions technician to appexdix K of the smog check manual. This only applies to California emissions laws, other states may have different rules regarding intercoolers.

I saw where Kenne Bell's intercooler had an EO to use it on '84 & '85 TR's. That was probably done before this appendix was written.

I wish they would OK KB's Boost-a-Spark since it doesn't change timing, but it does boost spark voltage. A weak spark could causing missing.

Kenne-Bell's no longer has any turbo Buick stuff whatsoever for sale, nor will they ever build any more. So if that Boost-A-Spark is not one of universal application, it is history also.